The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cat lovers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Cat lovers

it seems odd to me no cat lovers thread on here, so.. let me introduce Raul, our new family member since 2 days ago!

14712125_1830243653876840_7078542957816578048_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I think there is an all-inclusive pet thread somewhere, but I'm down with a cat specific thread!
    Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Along with the 3 dogs we currently have approx 4 cats...
    2 we properly "have" - in that:
    * they have lived with us for years
    * we got them when they were kittens
    * they spend at least some part of their day with us
    * they eat at least daily at our house
    * they use the catflap

the other "2" average out in that a fairly fluid 3-4 others meet some/all of the following criteria:
    * come for a few meals every day or so
    * will have a stroke/fuss made of them in our garden (by Mrs D)
    * accept treats from hand (Mrs D)
    * turn up occasionally for a holiday
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently enjoying LSOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greymda View Post
    it seems odd to me no cat lovers thread on here, so.. let me introduce Raul, our new family member since 2 days ago!

14712125_1830243653876840_7078542957816578048_n.jpg
    a glabrate cat on a hirsute man.

A new first on coffee forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

They're brother (ginger) and sister (black). 11 years old. When my last cat died my friends cat was pregnant about a week later, so it was meant to be.

The black one is in love with the fat tabby next door, but the ginger one and him are mortal enemies and have a massive fight at least once a year. We look after eachothers houses when away etc which our cats hate when feeding the neighbours ones.

Mine will also happily bully eachother and take no notice of me telling them not to.
    Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)

I hope you don't mind a long story, but Eddie might merit this.

Eddie 4 1/2 years old now, we have had him for the last 18 months. He was from cats protection, from a house of 4 cats who had never been to the vets and none were doctored. Blind from birth, his eyes were bulging out of his head from glaucoma and infection (he would have been in terrible pain for years). He had one eye removed by cats protection before he was homed with us.....sadly the other eye (which he could not see from) could not be saved and was causing him pain, so we had to have it removed. Eddie now has no eyes, but of course, no pain.

When we first got him, he would eat his food so fast, a 100g pouch didn't last more than 40s. I think this was because if he didn't, he wouldn't get any at his old home, the sighted cats being faster and more able to steal his grub. The previous owner said he used to spend almost all his time sitting on a dining chair under the dining table...I'm going to guess because unless he was there he was getting bullied by the other cats. When we got him we popped him in the kitchen, planning to keep him there for a week or more, until he adjusted. For his first meal, he wouldn't leave his new basket, even though he was very hungry...we moved the bowl closer and he quickly leaned out and tried to grab the slab of food (that's how it comes out of the pouch) and pull it into his basket. It was sad and pathetic, all at the same time. After 24 hours he was very brave and insisted on exploring, within a week he seemed very happy to be with us. It actually took 6 months for him to 100% acclimatise to "his" house and get used to having "us" as guests. He was also scared of new people for a long time, but not any longer, he loves investigating new people now.

When we took him to have the remaining eye out, the vet commented that in the recovery area, he actually hissed at everybody for the day he was there and refused all food and treats (unusual for him as he is a greedy bastard). When we came to get him, he was pushing at the cage to get out, making little sounds and obviously so happy to see us. I said to the Vet, "his behaviour was probably different because when you first saw him 6 months ago he was in a home he didn't like much, this time he was distraught, because he thought he had lost a home he loves". When we got him back he wouldn't leave me alone for about 4 hours, even forgot about being starving!!

A blind cat is a small commitment, but not as bad as you would think. He only goes out on a lead and of course insists on NOT doing any of his business outside, in fact he will go back inside to use the littler tray. His litter box is a large one and inside a large cardboard box with no top and the short side cut away. It helps guide him in and he can feel the boundary of the box, so no little accidents. He likes to run up the stairs as fast as he can, as he knows there is never anything left on or around the stairs. Elsewhere he is careful as the family is messy and things stay where they fall, but he copes just fine.

People who see him for the first time, don't quite realise he has no eyes and assume he is sighted, of course Eddie doesn't know about seeing and thinks they will walk around him and his long tail! His habit of standing behind someone about 4 inches away I'm sure will one day get him into trouble. He sometimes gets the jitters when something unexpected is there, or perhaps a spider, even a person if they are very still and quiet and he hasn't checked. This can bring on an attack of the "oh my gods", where every little thing sets him off every few seconds....it's funny and sad at the same time.

He is good natured and has never bitten or purposely scratched anyone, in fact he is super careful when he realises you are holding a toy. Eddie is a part of the family now and I'm happy that we have made his small life so much better. Not having sight means he misses out on stuff...so I spoil him a bit because of that. He is affectionate and super friendly, given the same choice again, I would still choose a blind cat, because they need you so much more.

Eddie Yawning

eddie yawning.jpg

Eddie relaxing (on "his" bed)

eddie relaxing.jpg

P.S. Some cats are fussy with their food...but not Eddie...he won't eat the cheap tinned supermarket own stuff, but eats everything else, so whenever pet food is on special offer or greatly reduced, we buy loads, knowing he going to eat it no worries e.g. Sheba pouches down from 50p to 10p etc...
    Last edited by DavecUK; 28-10-16 at 03:28.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Sounds like a special cat Dave

We've had a few cats over the years. We had 4 at the last house which got a bit chaotic at times. One of our neighbours lost their cat and our oldest cat who wasn't keen on the chaos adopted them and stayed with them when we moved house.

We now have one cat, an 18 years old diabetic Birman. Hes a house cat as he has no road sense. I have to inject him with insulin twice a day which was a bit daunting at first. Hes currently snoring, curled up on the sofa

We wont get another cat as the road outside the house can get busy and theres not many cats that are happy to stay inside / enclosed.
    a grinder a lever and some beans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Truly "Lucky Eddie".

Our ginger tom is also from Cats Protection, from an apparently loving home but they'd found themselves unable to afford the vets bills for an infection of his leg, hence having been signed over to the charity who undertook the surgery etc.
    Having been with us now for 3 years, he's a lot more settled but isn't a great fan of children, I guess he was from a home with children that loved him but perhaps didn't give him his own space. he's taken quite well to my brother's Labrador that comes to visit when owners are away, to such an extent now that I end up going for a walk with dog on lead and cat following behind, or in front when the dog stops too long to sniff. Fist time they met was a hot day, dog sprawled out on our lawn, cat just walked up to him and threw himself down next to the dog, probably to be clear it's his territory.
    Today, a few days after the dog went back home again having stayed for a long weekend, I was attempting to do some gardening but the cat was constantly near me, and running every time I headed in the direction of the road, so I had to go and take the cat walkies. He's now decided to go off, having got the attention he wanted (deserves, according to him). Neighbors obviously think I'm mad, taking a cat for walkies, thankfully no lead, he's not a cat that's kept indoors, he just likes to walk his human.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

We have just aquired a cat. Ive always been a dog person and never intended to have a cat but its here nonetheless.
    Basically the old lady across the road sadly passed away, she never had any visitors or family and nobody even realised she had a cat. We used to check on the mrs Wicker every week or so but didnt know about the cat as it was never allowed out.
    Around a week ago the police visited the house and one of them knocked on my door asking for a cat basket. He had found it hiding under a bed. It would have been there on its own for 4 or 5 days!
    The policeman explained that as there were no family apart from a distant relative in Germany the cat would go to the cats protection. Of course i felt sorry for the little bugger and now, as from last week, i have a little coffee roasting companion. She only comes out from under the table at night when im roasting but i think she's getting used to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

My kids have cats. 2 in the house. And I'm convinced that they spend their days finding new and creative ways to pi$$ me off. To be fair they're very good at it.