The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Compak E8 Grinder Periodically Spraying Everywhere...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by foundrycoffeeroasters.com View Post
    In the case of the E8, the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with static, or not directly at least. When the curtain is positioned correctly, the static is dissipated and the coffee exits the chute in a fairly orderly fashion. The problem arises when the curtain gets wet (from steam wands or excessive humidity in the environment). The humidity results in the plastic curtain distorting in shape, which then stops it doing its job properly.
    What plastic is the curtain made from? From what I've read only Nylon absorbs quite a lot of water and can swell, other plastics do so as well but the affects are negligable.

T.
    Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder
    Photography: Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    What plastic is the curtain made from? From what I've read only Nylon absorbs quite a lot of water and can swell, other plastics do so as well but the affects are negligable.

T.
    Not sure that it's actually plastic but moisture does seem to make it twist and move from its position. I could try and find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

How I see it is the moisture from [our] steam wand dampened the chute and exit path causing some clumping. It just took one clump to stay put under one side of the curtain with more ground coffee adding to it (snowball fashion) and before long the curtain ended up pushed up, the exit gap was smaller and thus distorting the flow.
    L-R / R58 / E8 / HG-1 / OCD / Pullman Big Step & Torr 58.4+vst / Decent thermometer and pitchers / Inker & Loveramics cups / Hottop / 3 guinea pigs / a dog / and a very lovely husband

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MildredM View Post
    How I see it is the moisture from [our] steam wand dampened the chute and exit path causing some clumping. It just took one clump to stay put under one side of the curtain with more ground coffee adding to it (snowball fashion) and before long the curtain ended up pushed up, the exit gap was smaller and thus distorting the flow.
    Yes, that does make more sense.