Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205
Results 2,041 to 2,043 of 2043

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post

I’m currently looking at a flow meter made by EPT. They make the same model in 98%, 97% and 95% accurate versions.

I asked them what the difference was, and the answer surprised me.

They’re all the same.

But because small differences in tolerances have effects on the accuracy, they test each flow meter, and then sell them at 3 different prices based on how accurate that one was.
    This is very common in high end silicon manufacturing. The difference between a £500 graphics card and a £200 graphics card is down to imperfections in the substrate. It's why overclocking is possible - you're basically just tweaking the (relatively conservative) factory settings. It's interesting to hear of it in a completely different setting. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Testing 5 hole baskets for pour overs

I'm working with Scott Rao to try to improve our espresso machines' ability to make pour over coffee. These custom made portafilter baskets are meant to have controllable pressure, in order for Scott to have control over agitation of the grounds. We've made 3 different hole sizes for Scott to try out.

My hunch is that the holes could stand to go a bit larger. We calibrated these holes for 4 bar of pressure, so we'd be able to go up or down. However, now that I have them in hand and I can test, I think larger holes would be better, because a substantial jet is formed at just 1 bar.

I told Rao this via email, and suggested that he might want to enlarge the holes with a sewing needle.

These baskets are just our first attempt. There will likely be many more revisions before we're happy.

Coffee ground turbulence during a pour over is super important. The famous "Rao V60 pour over” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Qe_ASxfNM addresses this, for manual pour-overs.

The question is: can the optimum turbulence be mechanized with our pressure and flow controlled espresso machine, and a bit of specialized hardware? We don't know yet.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Some 110V Decent machines

I realize this is a UK forum (ie, 220V), but there are some Americans (and from elsewhere too) on here too, so posting this here as well... apologies to the Brits here.

And on a more UK-focussed note: I'm making arrangements for a Decent showing or two in London during the week of August 27th. Details forthcoming.

-john

IMG_9247b copy.jpg

I have 27 espresso machines built that I can sell and ship immediately.

These are the last of the v1.0 line of DE1PRO machines. They have long-lived DE1PRO internals, but are offered without the plumbing kit (ie, you use the provided water tank). The plumbing kit can be purchased later if you so decide. The discounted price is halfway between a normal DE1PRO and a DE1+.

These machines are all 110V, so only appropriate for countries with 110V electricity (USA, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Columbia...)

Here's the direct link to buy this:
    https://decentespresso.com/cart?s=158+1

The main difference between the current v1.0 and upcoming v1.1 machines is that the v1.1 will have 4mm less headspace above the coffee puck. There are other differences of course (documented in this forum) but they are minor.

The v1.0 and v1.1 are completely software compatible, and so all tablet and firmware updates will apply equally to both.

In about 6 weeks we will start shipping the v1.1 DE1PRO espresso machines in 110V and 220V.

-john

Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205