Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 96 of 224 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    And just FYI I switched the charts (based on suggestions here) to have (bar) (ºC) etc... labels, and I've also dropped "title case" off those labels, to reduce visual noise.
    i like the changes in the screenshots. i think you missed capitalizing the litre in the volume label in the second screen shot though.

also, i just want to emphasize that, for the most part, unit symbols (and their prefixes) are case-sensitive. styling them in different letter cases typically at best changes their meaning or at worst makes them invalid according to scientific convention.

examples:
    mL (millilitre, 10-3⋅L) vs ML (megalitre, 106⋅L)
    bar (preferred symbol) vs Bar (not preferred)
    pA (picoampere) vs Pa (pascal)
    kg (kilogram) vs KG (invalid)

naturally, appending 's' for plurality (like pounds --> lbs) shouldn't be done.

also, just FYI, the capitalization convention for a unit symbol is this: if it's named after a person, its initial letter is capitalized (e.g. Pa [unit of pressure named after Pascal]). otherwise, it's lowercase (example: s [second]).

In general, I prefer to NOT USE ( irony intended here) title case in the GUI, instead using a bold font, because it's easier to read (lots of studies show that ALL CAPS is difficult to scan) but also because ALL CAPS doesn't exist in most non-Western alphabets, and my visual vocabulary has to work across things like the (beautiful) Thai language.
    agreed
    Last edited by dingus; 08-09-17 at 07:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dingus View Post
    what, if any, kinds of (ab)use or service/repair work do you imagine could cause a DE1(+) to fall out of calibration?
    do you envision a need for recal after a certain period of time?
    Well, no, a recall would wipe out all our profit on every machine and then some, so quite a lot of work has gone into making sure no recall would be needed.
    not 100% sure if we were understanding each other; clarifying here just in case: by 'recal' i meant 'recalibration' and not 'recall'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

not 100% sure if we were understanding each other; clarifying here just in case: by 'recal' i meant 'recalibration' and not 'recall'
    Ha! . Yes, that's clear now you say it. I confess I read it as 'recall' too and thought it an odd question. Note to self: "pay attention Bond"
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I have to say "we don't know" because the machines haven't been out there, in the public, getting abused, and thus getting out of calibration. Calcification would definitely affect things, but bear in mind that we have pressure sensors, multiple temperature sensors, all with PIDs on them to automatically adjust for deviance from goals.

The one thing I'd say that would mess things up is calcification on the temperature probes. Besides running a citric acid wash cycle regularly, you can remove any thermometer probe by pulling out the retaining clip, inspect it, polish it, and place it back.

And cat hair. Cat hair is bad. There is a mesh filter on the intake tube. Don't remove that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

i think you missed capitalizing the litre in the volume label in the second screen shot though.
    Thanks for catching that. Fixed now.

capf.jpg

I'm working for a few days on the "rate this espresso" feature (reached via the icon with the heart above the espresso cup: it's a bit crowded, I know)

For the aroma components, it'll be tap-tap on the relevant flavors. Another few days and I should have this feature done. I plan to also do Counter Culture's system, but a bit later in the schedule.

Below are two draft screens. I'm aiming for a "works well enough" implementation right now, as doing this GUI to perfection this isn't the highest priority, and I'll revisit it all again when I have a time to work on the analysis & reporting components.

scent1.jpg

I don't have the text labels on here yet but you can get the idea of what the "berry" options look like:

scent2.jpg

Mostly just doing photoshop work at the moment, setting this all up.

cont.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I prefer to NOT USE (irony intended here) title case in the GUI, instead using a bold font, because it's easier to read (lots of studies show that ALL CAPS is difficult to scan) but also because ALL CAPS doesn't exist in most non-Western alphabets...
    FWIW, title case is not all caps, it is "Rise and Hold".

https://daringfireball.net/2008/05/title_case

When limited to very short phrases, I think title case can be helpful to draw your attention to key words. For example, in the pressure graph, it is helpful to capitalize "Pressure" because it is more important than the units "bar" or "seconds". As a second example, in the legend "Auto off", the key word is "off", yet "Auto" attracts your attention if it is the only capitalized word.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"rate this espresso" feature (reached via the icon with the heart )
    I would assume that most DE1 owners won't rate their shots immediately after making it, but after they've actually finished drinking it (i.e. a few minutes). I would either (a) show a popup-dialog after the end of the brewing process ("How was the shot?"), (b) add an action button "log & rate" to the main screen, (c) add a "last shot" button to the main screen - shows graph of thelast shot (DE1+ only?) and would allow to rate shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

R&D won't be done until this v3b machine is declared as "fit for reproducing", which should be in the next 10 days.
    How is v3b looking? Has it been promoted from manufacturing candidate to manufacturing reality?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that this review of the Breville Oracle Touch is an interesting one for those thinking about the DE1/DE1+:

https://www.wired.com/2017/07/review...-oracle-touch/

In many ways, it targets a different market - it's practically a super-auto. But I think it's still interesting to consider, because it's $2500 ($900 more than the DE1, and $300 more than the DE1+ - but keep in mind that the Breville includes a grinder, though perhaps not a great grinder), it has a touch screen, PID, a heated group head and a preinfusion option (not adjustable - one size fits all).

If Breville has priced the Oracle Touch correctly, that suggests to me that the DE1 at $1600 is reasonably priced. The DE1+ at $2200 is a closer call, but I suspect that's a decent (pun intended) price, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

You would have to be bonkers to spend $2500 on the breville touch - my guess is that their target is wealthy folk who want some hand holding.

Dont get me wrong - the Breville/Sage machines have some great features like a heated group so its ready fast, and basic pre-infusion settings, they are also reviewed well and hold their own against the much more established classic designs. If there are a few extras in this new machine they are there to hold the hand of the average home user - not the coffee enthusiast - it's certainly not something you would want to pay a $1000 premium for over the regular Oracle. You also wouldn't want to tie yourself to what has proved itself to be no more than an OK grinder.

The level of feedback and tweaking that can be done with the DE1 (and moreso with the +) is leagues ahead of what the breville/sage machines do - there are similar ideas in both machines and they are both innovating instead of rehashing the same ideas again and again but in reality I think the machines barely compare in what they deliver to the home enthusiast and barista market.

Page 96 of 224 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast