1920 Caffe UK
Page 81 of 212 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Still really enjoying all the updates here, its a lesson for anyone interested in how things get manufactured and why things cost more than the sum of their parts.
    Glad to hear it. I know I overdid the posting today, but I'm also trying to be honest, not happy-happy-good-news marketing, and tell you about the reality of it.

Many companies simply contract out the entire manufacturing process, providing a computer-drawn design to the "contract manufacturer". I think that approach is one of the root causes of why so many products are poorly made.

Having visited Nuova Simonelli's factory last week, I can see why their espresso machines are reliable. They work with very few suppliers, for a long long time, and they control the entire process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I think this thread is a demonstration of how much of a headache it would have been if you weren't heavily involved in it all - not sure how it would work if you original designs had just been submitted for manufacture but I cant imagine they would have made the 'right' decision time and again to ensure the end quality of the product was top notch.

And the over posting is great, showing the problems you are having and how you are overcoming them is very endearing to your company and machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)

I'm loving this thread too. I couldn't afford your machine in a million years, but it's wonderful to watch the process.
    Did someone say coffee?
    :Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Over there, no a bit to the right, back a bit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

me 3, the insight is great.

I see lots of parallels in my line of work so feel the pain.

also like this from a marketing perspective, as a potential buyer I feel engaged and involved in the whole development
    Last edited by Phobic; 19-07-17 at 03:28. Reason: fat fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I'm enjoying reading about the development process of creating such an innovative machine.

Probably a naive question, but couldn't you get one of the interns to run a 7.3mm reamer through the connectors, or do you need a special machine to fish out/replace the O ring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi there,

It seems because of some questions too much concerning the date of shipping the thread at HB is "closed"?

No matter what,main thing is you keep us up to date,would like to see a video sometime when control over flow/pressure during the shot is possible.

At this point of time it will be "in my basket"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Microlot View Post
    No matter what,main thing is you keep us up to date,would like to see a video sometime when control over flow/pressure during the shot is possible. At this point of time it will be "in my basket"
    I'll have to make that video for you then, because all the shots for the past 6 weeks or so have been flow profiling shots. At the World of Coffee demos in Budaptest with Scott Rao, that's all we did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norvin View Post
    I'm enjoying reading about the development process of creating such an innovative machine. Probably a naive question, but couldn't you get one of the interns to run a 7.3mm reamer through the connectors, or do you need a special machine to fish out/replace the O ring?
    Yes, the interns absolutely could, but for "playing a long game" reasons, I prefer to have the company that screwed up do the fixing, so that they can't give us goods that have problems and just have us fix it. Other than this hole tolerance issue, the parts are well made. The manufacturer in turn lowered the fixing fee to "we pay the shipping both directions" and they're now doing the labour for free (total cost to fix = £200).

Parts manufacturers seem to always start out "mostly ok" but if you stick with them, point out the problems, are reasonable, and bring back repeat business, the quality goes up over time. Building those sourcing relationships will take time, but it's a wise investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Still really enjoying all the updates here, its a lesson for anyone interested in how things get manufactured and why things cost more than the sum of their parts.
    This is a masterclass; a case study in design to manufacture.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default VIDEO: Introduction to flow profiling

Quote Originally Posted by Microlot View Post
    would like to see a video sometime when control over flow/pressure during the shot is possible.
    I've made this video explaining how flow profiling works, how you configure it, and you can see a shot being made this way:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Easy to replace PC Boards

I've mentioned before that we make our own PC Boards -- from scratch. I know this sounds insane, but it allows us to make revisions to our boards and improve them every few weeks, rather than doing larges batches. Outsourced PC Board companies don't like making just a few boards, because there is so much parts set up time involved. On the DE1 we have a "high voltage" board to control pumps and heaters, and a "low voltage" board that is essentially a computer, talking to the sensors and to the high voltage board.

In building our recent "release prototype" we found that if a PC board were to fail, that you would need to take apart most of the inside guts of the DE1 to replace it. Whoops.

The reason for that difficulty is that we were screwing the board down from the inside at the beginning of DE1 assembly, and later, when all the pumps, heaters and such are in place, you can't get at those screws any more with a screwdriver. All the stuff inside is now in the way.

Today's revision fixes that problem.

Small "bolts" are now soldered to the PC Board directly, so that the screws now slide from the back panel of the DE1 (from the outside), and tightened using a screwdriver with the whole machine staying assembled. It also means you won't have an "oh shit" moment when a screw falls inside the machine and you can't find it afterwards.

decentboards.jpg

Page 81 of 212 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast