Coffee Sensor
Page 33 of 210 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan1502 View Post
    I have no idea. Although initially you might logically think that a steady flow rate would result in more even extraction, as extraction rate changes with contact with water (i.e. slows as more solids dissolve) presumably an increased flow might result in more even extraction over the length of a shot? I guess this machine would make such experiments relatively simple as you can ask the machine to target a flow profile, level or otherwise?
    I can't see the mechanism as to how a constant flow rate (still though, what would it be & how would the requirement change in the real world?) would make a more even shot, but that doesn't mean it can't happen :-) My gut says decaying flow rate would be useful (I won't say "better"), slower flow as solids become harder to extract, easier to kill shot at target weight (but sometimes my gut just makes odd noises, so I don't listen that hard)? Grind distribution & good preinfusion still seem to be most likely candidates here?

Indeed, it's an exciting prospect.
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Over there, no a bit to the right, back a bit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

hmm interesting read on flow rate.

just to check my understanding, if you keep pressure constant, all other things being equal, won't flow rate increase over time as more solids are extracted? So does that mean if you keep flow rate constant you inherently have to reduce pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan1502 View Post
    I have no idea. Although initially you might logically think that a steady flow rate would result in more even extraction, as extraction rate changes with contact with water (i.e. slows as more solids dissolve) presumably an increased flow might result in more even extraction over the length of a shot? I guess this machine would make such experiments relatively simple as you can ask the machine to target a flow profile, level or otherwise?
    This morning I tried two shots (morning lattes for me & GF) hitting 9 bar, and then having a flow profile starting at 1ml/second, decreasing to 0.5ml/second over the next 40 seconds. The DE1+ automatically adjusted pressure to perform this.

Resulting espresso was much more chocolatey, huge chocolate actually, but less coffee "roast" flavor. Verdict: interesting, we liked it, but I'd say it was different, not necessarily better or worse.

The point of the DE1+ is to be able to try these theories out, easily, once a day with your morning espresso hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
    @decent_espresso I'm assuming your video was at 9bar or thereabouts?
    Because I didn't put a portafilter in for that video, pressure never rose above 0.25 bar.

However, the noise level from vibe pumps has the exact opposite relationship to pressure that rotary pumps have. The more pressure, the quieter they get. Listen to a Nespresso machine sometime, and the loudest noise is at the beginning. If the Nespresso capsule produces any backpressure (they don't always) you'll hear the vibe pump quieten down significantly.

In the "Introduction to the DE1" video, I make a shot with coffee, and you can hear (or not!) that the DE1 goes very quiet when it's at full pressure.

The reason for this is that a rotary pump "struggles" and thus makes more noise at full pressure, whereas a vibe pump is unable to "smack" into the opposite end of its chamber at full pressure, and so the vibe pump's noise is much abated.

Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
    Readings are quite sensitive to the distance of the meter from the machine. Get close and you pick up noise from the boiler heating. I measured from about 10 inches from the front edge of the drip tray.
    Just measured it, and in the video the front of my iphone is 11" from the front of the drip tray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    For comparison's sake, why don't some of you download the same app and tell the forum how loud your espresso machine is?

Here is where you can download it (for iphones)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deci...382776256?mt=8
    Ok, did it! My plumbed-in Londinium 1 registers 38-39 dB during the pour with the iPhone 11" from the front of the machine. The background noise in my house registers 37-38 dB.

Grinding 16g in 4.6s on my E37s produced a peak of 70dB at the same distance.
    Last edited by Tewdric; 01-11-16 at 11:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I will be in London in about a month's time, where you or anyone else in the UK are welcome to listen to and drink from the machine as you like.
    Any idea when and where you'll be in London, I'll be keen to stop by if possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    Any idea when and where you'll be in London, I'll be keen to stop by if possible?
    Covent Garden area is where I'm saying, Prufrock is probably one of my "show & tell" locations, more still TBA. Should be around the 1st week of December.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Covent Garden area is where I'm saying, Prufrock is probably one of my "show & tell" locations, more still TBA. Should be around the 1st week of December.
    Great, I should be able to stop by.

I'm intrigued on many levels, it's an interesting prospect for a whole host of reasons - from technology to business model!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

DECENT ESPRESSO MACHINES NOW AVAILABLE

The Decent Espresso Machines are now available for ordering:
    https://decentespresso.com/dem_buy

----

Any questions, post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer 'em!

Over there, no a bit to the right, back a bit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

220V version prices

DE1 - £944
    DE1+ - £1766

Just to check that the difference between the DE1 and DE1+ is the tablet control software which means on the DE1+ you can get full control of profiling?

the hardware on both models is exactly the same?

is that right?

Page 33 of 210 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast