Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Skale Stands now for sale

skale_stand_detail.jpg

Skale Stands now for sale
    https://decentespresso.com/scale

As I previously reported https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthrea...143#post630143 I have been working with a friend of Scott Rao’s, namely Dan Eils https://www.instagram.com/dan_eils/ to 3D print the scale stands for us, allowing you to make weighed espressos with the scale underneath the drip tray.

Dan has also put a lot of computer time in redesigning the stand to prevent warping and to make it lighter. He has sent me two prototypes that I’ve tested for him.

I don’t really have a good feel for how many people want this, so I have put the stand up for sale here: https://decentespresso.com/scale

In a few days, I will ask Dan to 3D print some quantity of these stands to match the order quantity and then some.

I’m estimating that it will take a few weeks for them to get 3D printed in Los Angeles, sent to us in Hong Kong, and then sent out to people who have bought them.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A Decent Espresso Demo in Manchester was mentioned in the Cup North thread, I thought it might be useful to post details here as well:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/decen...ts-51503979790

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WEJ View Post
    A Decent Espresso Demo in Manchester was mentioned in the Cup North thread, I thought it might be useful to post details here as well:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/decen...ts-51503979790
    yep, I am going. Book yours whilst places available. it starts just when Cup North finishes. I'm hoping to be mesmerised

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Booked before posting... ;-)

Looking forwards to it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Decent Scale Progress

scalewhite2.jpg

The plastic molds for our Decent Scale https://decentespresso.com/scale are now complete. We're working on the PCB and firmware now.

In the middle-left photo you can see what the scale will look like in the end. White plastic is used in this prototype model instead.

Detail photos show:
    - the USB charge port, which I put underneath the scale, to protect it from water from above/sides
    - the single piece of plastic that covers the entire scale from all sides, except from the bottom. The aim is perfect waterproofness from everywhere except below
    - there are no physical buttons: a proximity sensor behind the cover senses your finger near the O and [] buttons

This scale will be BLE capable, sell for £84, be 0.1g accurate, and 2kg capable. The BLE spec will be published and open so that other apps can work with it.

Over time, my intention is to write a variety of apps for this scale. Initially, these will be for Android (same as the DE1+) but with time, they'll work on Linux and eventually iOS.

Use of this scale when not BLE connected is very simple:
    - O button tares weight
    - [] button starts/pauses/restarts the timer

More fancy "wizard" functions, like those that Brewista and Acaia do on the scale itself, will here be transferred to the app.

From reviews (and my personal use) it's my opinion that multi-step operations (such as pour-overs) would be easier to follow (and configure) on an app.

I'm also thinking of having a "Tablet + Decent Scale" more expensive combination package for sale, where all the apps are pre-installed and the scale is pre-paired. Much like our espresso machine. I could then include a LOT of interesting weight-based functionality.

What do you think?

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I said this just a few posts above. But for me your scale is hitting all the right notes. I will overwhelmingly just use the scale and timer function, but to have this in a quality scale from a 'decent' company is a seemingly hard task - once upon a time I hoped this would be the Brewista, but they seemingly had a high fault rate and then the second iteration sailed past the £100 mark so i went back to £10 Amazon scales.

If I ever get one of your machines down the line the bluetooth integration with your machine will also be a great feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that gravimetric shot stop is awesome! It's a great way for automatically stop shots at the exact desired ratio and it'd be a great addition to the machine capability. I must admit I love live graphs , and an additional graph the shows true gravimetric data on the cup is more accurate then just the volumetric data that is influenced by the coffee puck size and absorption unique characteristics.
    About waterproofing the bottom- since the scale sits above the drip tray, will it get splashed by the 3way solenoid? If the driptray is partly full the pressure released at the end of the shot might cause the water to splash...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    I think that gravimetric shot stop is awesome! It's a great way for automatically stop shots at the exact desired ratio and it'd be a great addition to the machine capability.
    FYI we've had gravimetric shot stopping since launching, with the Atomax Skale 2, which we currently sell.

skale2_grey_small.jpg

screen 2018-11-02 at 11.33.57 AM.jpg

However, the Skale is meant for baking, and consequently is a bit large, and not good at water resistance. That's why we're making our own scale.

Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    About waterproofing the bottom- since the scale sits above the drip tray, will it get splashed by the 3way solenoid? If the driptray is partly full the pressure released at the end of the shot might cause the water to splash...
    Yes, that's been a worry of mine with this design, but so far, this hasn't been a problem in the 2 years of testing with the 4 hand built Decent Scales I have. The bottom does have sides that come up vertically to try to prevent this problem.

I'm actually more worried about the flush water causing the scale bottom to warp from exposure to heat. Acaia reportedly suffers from this problem, and as I really respect their build quality, it's a concern for me too. It can likely be mitigated with specific choices for the plastic we use.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Don't have a meltdown

One of the more annoying problems we had with our v1.0 espresso machine came from an unlikely place: our short USB charging cable had a tendency to melt.

About 20% of our customers had this problem. It turns out that the attractive and unusual design I chose for our USB connector had a failure-prone internal design.

meltedcable.jpg

In retrospect, that's not surprising, as this USB connector design was exceptional slim.

We ended up building a custom high-amperage USB circuit, to stress test our cables, and weed out the iffy ones. About 40% of our existing cables failed this test.

This was a somewhat expensive problem for us because besides replacing the cables, we also replaced the tablets when the cable melting also melted a bit of the tablet chassis.

We tried to get the internal design improved with our existing supplier, by adding additional insulation around the connections. In the end, though, I lost confidence in them, and I decided to find a new supplier who had a problem-free design.

There was also a slight other problem, that the insulation on the USB-A side was a bit thicker than we wanted, and so the USB cable didn't plug in solidly to the espresso machine. It was prone to falling out if you moved the tablet a bit.

meltdown1.jpg

In the attached photo you can see the new cable. The connector to the tablet is more traditional. We cut back the insulation and were pleased to see large, well-isolated terminal points. All of the samples we've received have passed our home-made stress test.

On the USB-A side of this cable, the insulation stops about 2mm earlier, allowing a secure, solid connection to the espresso machine.

I went with a fabric mesh cable because it bends elegantly. Normal insulated USB cables looked like ski accident victims, with awkward bends in this position.

I've also added 5mm to the length, to allow a bit more tablet maneuverability, without the cable protruding too much in an ugly way.

I'm preparing an "update pack" that will be sent to all existing v1.0 customs. Among other things (such as an electroplated drip tray cover), it will have this new cable. And all v1.1 espresso machine customers will have this new cable.

I would have loved for the v1.0 machines to be problem free, but so far I'm thankful that the problems we've found have been with easily replaced, external components.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Pro steam wand option

prowand.jpg

Some Decent Espresso customers have asked if it’s possible to have the steam wand I designed for the upcoming DE1CAFE model, but on the DE1+ or DE1PRO machine.

I had our steam wand supplier make a short run of these, and they’re now available for sale:
    https://decentespresso.com/de1plus#prowand

We’ll be making a video and instructions for existing Decent clients to retrofit their machines. All they’ll need is two wrenches. For new clients that buy a machine from us, we’ll pre-install the steam wand if they buy it at the same time.

I priced this at USD$179, as compared to the equivalent concept for the La Marzocco GS/3 which costs USD$263 (47% more expensive) and which is not "cool touch" as ours is. They write "Once you have switched to the Pro Steam Wand, remember that the metal on the steam wand will get extremely hot." https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/produ...onversion-kit/

-john

Page 215 of 217 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217 LastLast