Page 213 of 217 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217 LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2167

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default An Updated Decent World Map

uk.jpg eu.jpg au_pac.jpg world.jpg

Ben Champion was able to get all our customers imported into Google maps (unlike me, who only managed 50% of them), so these three maps below are an accurate representation of our decent customers worldwide as of today.
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:43.

North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    uk.jpg eu.jpg au_pac.jpg world.jpg

Ben Champion was able to get all our customers imported into Google maps (unlike me, who only managed 50% of them), so these three maps below are an accurate representation of our decent customers worldwide as of today.
    Noticeable to my eye's is France (Which does not surprise me) and Italy, perhaps a difficult market area to break into, but best of Luck in moving forward.

Jon.
    One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xpresso View Post
    Noticeable to my eye's is France (Which does not surprise me) and Italy, perhaps a difficult market area to break into, but best of Luck in moving forward.
    My feeling about Italy is that people there largely go to cafés to get their espresso, they don't make espresso at home unless they just use a moka pot. And because espresso is a high-volume, low margin business in Italy (€1 is the standard shot price), and the public is happy with the current product, there is not much drive for innovation.

I am friends with the main players in third wave coffee in France, and it's a difficult slog for them. Bordeaux, Paris and Lyon are the centers of coffee progress in France, but really in Bordeaux and Lyon you're talking about one shop. In Paris there's lots of good coffee, and perhaps next year we'll see some decent espresso machines there. Nonetheless, most French people view coffee as a strong drink that you pound quickly at the end of the meal as a kind of drug.

"C'est bon, mais ce n'est pas du café" is something I frequently hear.

I've always found the German speaking countries to be focused on quality over quantity, so that the few things they have in their house are quite nice. I've also had a nice reception on the German coffee forum, and quite a few people are very knowledgeable there. It also helps that so many of them have strong English ability and can read forums such as these.

North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    My feeling about Italy is that people there largely go to cafés to get their espresso, they don't make espresso at home unless they just use a moka pot. And because espresso is a high-volume, low margin business in Italy (€1 is the standard shot price), and the public is happy with the current product, there is not much drive for innovation.

I am friends with the main players in third wave coffee in France, and it's a difficult slog for them. Bordeaux, Paris and Lyon are the centers of coffee progress in France, but really in Bordeaux and Lyon you're talking about one shop. In Paris there's lots of good coffee, and perhaps next year we'll see some decent espresso machines there. Nonetheless, most French people view coffee as a strong drink that you pound quickly at the end of the meal as a kind of drug.

"C'est bon, mais ce n'est pas du café" is something I frequently hear.

I've always found the German speaking countries to be focused on quality over quantity, so that the few things they have in their house are quite nice. I've also had a nice reception on the German coffee forum, and quite a few people are very knowledgeable there. It also helps that so many of them have strong English ability and can read forums such as these.
    In France the larger supermarkets sell Coffee grains (Beans) the smaller popular super markets are well stocked with a wide choice of 'Dosettes' and no grains. The larger supermarkets also tend to function as wholesalers for individual cafe's and restaurants. Unlike the UK which have a wide range of wholesalers and suppliers specifically for business.

Who would have thought years ago that bread machines would be popular in France.

Jon.
    One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Café model shape and size

compared.jpg

We are currently working on the design of the chassis for the café version of our decent espresso machine.

We need to make it larger in order to enable steam during brew, as well as twice as powerful steaming. We also want a little bit more space inside to make it easier to repair in commercial environments.

The café version will be capable of sitting on a countertop or going into an inset bracket, where it becomes flush with the countertop. I quite like the inset look, but I don't want to require it of people since it requires a much larger cut into their work surface.

With the café version, the tubing goes directly downwards in the back has a second panel which hides all electrical and water connections. That way the back can face the public.

I'm also moving to a significantly higher-end Android tablet, this one featuring an 11" screen (vs 8") and 2560x1600 resolution (four times the normal tablet we use). The screen is made by Toshiba and is really clear.

The steam wand has also been redesigned, specifically to enable faster in/out movements, and also to make steam 1 Liter easier. And this should all support hands-free steaming, too.

The cafe model needs to be able to work unplumbed, plumbed to water tanks, or plumbed to a pressurized water source.

Our next challenge is trying to suspend the drip tray cover on four load cells so that we can invisibly weigh espresso and not require a scale. I'm not sure yet how to do this in a way that isn't ugly. There might need to be a modification to the aesthetics of the side view.

This model will be 220V only.

Attached to this message are several renders of the current design in progress, compared to the current DE1 models.

-john
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default v1.1 shipping restart : a progress report

v11b.jpg

As (pessimistically) expected, a few of our suppliers have asked for a bit more time. We have not yet restarted our espresso machine production line.

There are 200 components in the machine, and all have to be here in order for us to ship one machine. That's a lot of dependencies!

At the moment, the last parts are expected to arrive by October 30.

However, we've also encountered three issues that we need to solve in order to get our factory shipping completed espresso machines again:

1) the first 200 leg bases arrived with a slight twist in the front (left photos). The company that made them for us says they can be twisted by hand, without damaging the paint. We'll see.

2) On the group head parts made of brass, three small holes that were supposed to be tapped to allow a threaded screw, were instead tapped all the way through to the other side (top right photo). That makes for a very leaky group head! Thankfully, the CNC manufacturer agreed that this is their mistake, because the sample parts they sent us did not have this flaw. They have agreed to remake these at their cost.

3) There is a slight leak in the group brass part when under pressure, around the two water temperature probes (bottom right photo). We're not yet sure why, as this has not appreciably changed since version 1.0 (no leaks there). We think that a slightly thicker silicone O-ring will solve this. We have one group head that is tested and not leaking, and now need to test 30 more to make sure this approach works.

Of course, the 14 people in our little espresso machine factory are busy assembling all the other parts that will go into the espresso machine.

I still expect that we will be able to ship out the 100 already sold Pro machines by the end of December, so that we can start taking orders for the Plus machines in January, and shipping very quickly as the orders come in.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

John , i understand that de1pro v1.1 customers will get the new grouphead,flow meter,board that can diagnose problems and new +9% heater.
    as far a i can tell from your posts , de1pro v1.3 will add UL certification and physical buttons. I think that i've also saw a post for a new tablet.

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the wait , am i missing any other improvements?
    What is the current estimation for de1pro v1.3 order and delivery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Decent Accessory Customer Map

acc-labelled.jpg

We've sold an espresso-making accessory (tamper, milk thermometer, basket, etc) to 2834 different people worldwide. Here's where they are in the world.

It's a similar map to our "espresso machine customers" map, but a bit more diverse.

Higher res version: http://magnatune.com/p/acc-labelled.jpg

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jf12 View Post
    John , i understand that de1pro v1.1 customers will get the new grouphead,flow meter,board that can diagnose problems and new +9% heater.
    as far a i can tell from your posts , de1pro v1.3 will add UL certification and physical buttons. I think that i've also saw a post for a new tablet.
    I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the wait , am i missing any other improvements?
    What is the current estimation for de1pro v1.3 order and delivery?
    That's right, except that version 1.1 is the same heater as version 1.0

It won't be until version 1.3 that we have the slightly more powerful water heaters, as they are a brand-new design and will take six months to manufacture once we finalize the design.

Version 1.3 is slated to have the new heater, the group head controller, and UL approval. It's also likely that they will have android seven on the tablet, instead of android 5.1. Twice as much memory and about 30% faster CPU on the tablet as well.

However, the absolute earliest that version could happen is June. We first have to sell out of the version 1.1 machines, and we also have a six month delay on the heaters, and we have to pass through months of likely delays for UL.

At the moment, nothing is planned after version 1.3. We want to keep our engineering resources free to focus on what we hear back from our customers.

The first version of our Café model should enter proper production in June, and will feature the new heaters. However the heaters in that model will be twice as powerful as the plus and Pro models, and the café model will require 220 V.

– John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Are there more price increases anticipated as you move on to 1.3 next year? I might end up getting one of your machines eventually, but there are many other things in my life which need paying for first!

Page 213 of 217 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217 LastLast