1920 Caffe UK
Page 208 of 212 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212 LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2119

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^Tough gig. As the rest of the machine is cutting edge 21st century espresso lets go with titanium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WTell View Post
    ^^Tough gig. As the rest of the machine is cutting edge 21st century espresso lets go with titanium.
    I personally think they should go with concrete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Missing the point here guys. John just thinks outside the box and does not rashes to fast answers. He keeps an open mind and sometimes this leads indeed into a one-way street. But getting input from the community on minor things like a Ti tip shows how much he hunts for creative solutions....

offering my 2cents to the Ti debate.
    Is there any chance it is easier to clean than steel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I don't think we are missing the point...

Thoughts were asked for, thoughts were offered. The only thing available beyond this is actual testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ttttt91 View Post
    Missing the point here guys. John just thinks outside the box and does not rashes to fast answers. He keeps an open mind and sometimes this leads indeed into a one-way street. But getting input from the community on minor things like a Ti tip shows how much he hunts for creative solutions....
    Your comment made me briefly think about it again because I know I dismissed it out of hand as a pointless change. I agree, the attention to detail is incredible (I wouldn't have the patience for it)..and I admire the creativity but I still think it's a complete waste of time. Better to keep the eye on the prize and deliver those machines whilst preventing anything that causes the price increase further.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think going down the process of buying and trying out different components or processes on a small scale isn't a complete waste of time. The trick is to pick and make wise choices on those to test so that there isn't a negative effect on time or money.

For me, a Ti tip would be completely wasted as I take my shots straight and steam milk once every few years. If it doesn't affect my price, is offered as an upgrade that some users will get a benefit from and allows Decent Espresso to make a couple bucks on margin, why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by o2c View Post
    I think going down the process of buying and trying out different components or processes on a small scale isn't a complete waste of time. The trick is to pick and make wise choices on those to test so that there isn't a negative effect on time or money.

For me, a Ti tip would be completely wasted as I take my shots straight and steam milk once every few years. If it doesn't affect my price, is offered as an upgrade that some users will get a benefit from and allows Decent Espresso to make a couple bucks on margin, why not?
    I agree, if it doesn't increase the cost at all....why not.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

On CoffeeSnobs, user "LyreBird" posted this about Titanium:
    You'll find titanium is easier to clean and keep clean than is stainless, the oxide layer is thicker and it reforms much faster when breached.

Re "metal flavour": stainless does allow metal ions to migrate into fluids in contact, that's the whole point of passivating with citric acid or similar, it preferentially dissolves the iron leaving an increased proportion of chromium and nickel. In the wine industry, where we care about such things, stainless is always passivated with citric after it has been cleaned with an alkaline cleaner.

There is no need to passivate Ti, it does it itself in an ordinary atmosphere.
    Others chimed in that this tip would heat up as much, if not more, than our current stainless steel tip, so the phenomena of "milk cooking onto the tip" would be unchanged.

At this point, from all the feedback, I'm not sure what advantage this would have, other than adding USD$20 to my build price, and the other negative of potentially having two different metals doing ionic exchange.

We do have some experiments to continue (and conclude) on tip shapes, and we've made a bunch of them to test.

-john

25438596_1907348899583438_3573319546756645706_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Testing the plumbable drip tray

Back in Hong Kong, Fabrice and Alex are testing the prototype plumbable drip tray. They tried 3 different kinds of tubing, two kinds of fasteners. Everything to work OK. Quick flow, no blockage.

The only problem at the moment is the sharp 90º bend of the tube is slightly lifting the drip tray up. A few possible solutions: (1) pre-bent tubing, (2) a tube-bend-guide that fits over the tube and (3) connecting two segments.

-john

plumbit.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default why not spend today in a basement?

If you're bored on this sunny, beautiful London saturday, and would love nothing more than to spend a few hours in a London basement discussing coffee. Then...

There are still places available at my demo and roundtable at Prufrock today, starting in 2 hours, ending at 5pm today:
    https://www.prufrockcoffee.com/special-events/

39775361_2088995291418797_459538587021475840_o.jpg

Page 208 of 212 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212 LastLast