CoffeeHit
Page 193 of 224 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2232

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Laser etching a mirror panel

Strangely satisfying to watch...

This is from a new supplier who wants to make mirror panels for us. This is one of 20 samples they're making. I don't see any scratches on it, so I'm hopeful...

WechatIMG32.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just stumbled across this thread, and DecentEspresso, looks very interesting. A recent trip to europe has me very interested in getting a machine for at home in the next year or so, and I think DE might be a nice place to start.

That said, im trying to find comparisons to the DE1+ and the DE1PRO for at home use. It seems to me that the DE1+ may not be enough for home use, and the PRO is overkill? The DE1+ is rated for 10,000 shots as a life span on the website, and for $4k CDN, that's about 40 cents per shot at home and then you'll be looking at repair/replacement. The PRO is rated for 200,000 for $5k CDN, which is a much better value proposition to me, and not to mention it does everything else a bit better alongside that.

Maybe i'm misguided in my train of thought? Anyone have input on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nakedsnake View Post
    That said, im trying to find comparisons to the DE1+ and the DE1PRO for at home use. It seems to me that the DE1+ may not be enough for home use, and the PRO is overkill? The DE1+ is rated for 10,000 shots as a life span on the website, and for $4k CDN, that's about 40 cents per shot at home and then you'll be looking at repair/replacement. The PRO is rated for 200,000 for $5k CDN, which is a much better value proposition to me, and not to mention it does everything else a bit better alongside that. Maybe i'm misguided in my train of thought? Anyone have input on this?
    I wouldn't assume that the machine will keel over dead after 10,000 shots. It's a warranty, and it's based on the "mean time between failures" that we've been quoted by our valve/pump maker, ODE.

However, those MTBF numbers are pessimistic, but perhaps more importantly, they assume full-throttle use. We drive our pumps very lightly, and there are two of them.

Worst case scenario, with a DE1+ you're looking at a $100 part to replace a valve or pump, and that's after the 2 year warranty.

The PRO is really if you need (a) to be plumbed in and (b) you need to make > 50 shots per day.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

New DE1+ owner Alastair Drong made this humorous video about his decent espresso machine arriving at his apartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Hurrah: someone *can* make good mirror panels for us!

IMG_8942.jpg

On their 2nd attempt to make a "perfect" mirror panel (we rejected their first attempted), a new vendor we're thinking about using has done a really good job. I could only find a not-very-deep 3mm scratch on one panel. All the rest were as close to perfect as I could hope for.

So.... it looks like we won't have to abandon the "mirror panel" feature after all. Phew!

We're going to convert the ~150 "slightly scratched" panels that we don't want to use, into a brushed steel version. For people who prefer the fingerprint resistance (and more durable) of brushed steel, they'll be able to ask us to put that on their machine instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Can you have your new panel maker polish up just the 'barista mirror' part of the brushed ones? It seems like quite a valuable feature to give up in order to have a brushed steel facade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Can you have your new panel maker polish up just the 'barista mirror' part of the brushed ones? It seems like quite a valuable feature to give up in order to have a brushed steel facade.
    Poooooossibly. I'm having them make one sample. However, they have to heavily "mask" the mirror section to prevent the brushing process from scratching the mirror. Not so easy.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

I would have thought just brushing the whole thing and then mirroring the bottom part only the easier way around... but I guess that would create an extra stage of work getting a mirror finish back again after brushing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I would have thought just brushing the whole thing and then mirroring the bottom part only the easier way around... but I guess that would create an extra stage of work getting a mirror finish back again after brushing.
    The mirror finish is part of the metal, when we receive it as sheet metal. We don't have the ability to turn a brushed surface into a mirror surface.

In fact, the entire "slightly scratched" problem is due to handling of the raw sheet metal before it gets made into a panel. It gets scratched, through the plastic protective coating, and the manufacturer later discovers the scratch, after they've done all this work.

So.... the trick, it turns out, is finding someone who has a source for pristine, well-cared-for mirrored sheet metal. And then being very careful with it.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

That makes sense - I have spent some time polishing up badly scratched stainless, it is both a very laborious and very frustrating process, as the smallest bit of dust in the polishing wheel can immediately scratch the surface up as the polishing wheel spins. Getting a 'perfect' finish (one that has no scratches under any angle of light) is near impossible (in my experience) at home.

Page 193 of 224 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203 ... LastLast