1920 Caffe UK
Page 186 of 206 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2051

Thread: Decent espresso

North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    Attachment 34514

7 of our espresso machines so far have arrived at their customer's house with a bent leg. Nothing else is broken: not the suitcase, not even the tablet or the ceramic parts. The legs are made of 2.5mm thick aluminum metal, and we cannot bend by hand. And it only happens occasionally.
    What's going on?

Today, we think we finally figured it out.

Here's the scenario we're imagining...

First: UPS takes our espresso machine and tilts the box 90º in his truck, and then loads several boxes on top of it/

Next: the steady weight and consistent truck bouncing induce metal fatigue that can bend even a thick piece of metal.

Ok, yeah, I know: we should have put THIS SIDE UP on our cardboard boxes. I didn't bother to because I didn't think the delivery people would follow the directive. I figured we needed to determine how to have our protective packaging survive most scenarios.

5 of us engineers brainstormed for a long while on this, and tomorrow we're going to try out our idea.

By luck, the front feet have 3.5mm screw holes in them, for the rubber feet. We're going to cut a bar out of angled aluminum and bolt it onto the legs before shipping. Not only will this prevent the legs from moving, but the bar will be slightly wider than the DE1+ so that it bears the load.

Attached are two photos of a cardboard mockup of the idea.

ps: for the 7 customers who have suffered this problem, we've sent them a free leg replacement sent in the mail. It only takes removing 4 Phillips screws to swap the leg base out.

-john
    Would it be either simpler to deliver without legs attached ?.
    OR
    A block of polystyrene slightly thicker than the legs, but the same dimension of the machine base and cut neat holes to accommodate the legs.

Jon.
    One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Preparing for v1.1

brassparts1.jpg

We today received the group head parts for v1.1 of our Decent Espresso Machine. These parts receive water into the top of the group head, and then evenly distribute the water onto the coffee.

With this new revision, our goals are:

1) to reduce the overall brass mass, so that the espresso machine heats up faster from cold-power on, and also so that temperature profiling during an espresso shot can be easier and faster accomplished (less thermal inertia to battle).

2) slightly better placement of temperature probes for faster and more accurate measurement (especially in quickly measuring the effect of the cartridge heater, that goes in the middle)

3) much easier wiring of the triple safeties (thermostat and two thermal fuses) around

4) use of a different brass material that is less likely to tarnish

5) drier pucks (less headspace above the basket)

6) black anodized aluminum parts, to lengthen life and impede tarnishing

7) a better thermal isolation design, so that the heated group head transfers less heat to the espresso machine. Lowers electrical use and improves espresso temperature stability between shots.

In a few weeks, we'll be opening up orders for 500 more Decent Espresso Machines, and they will be built with this design.

IMG_8608.jpg

Useful to compare to current v1.0 brass parts (photo above). You can see the smaller size, but also the simplification in wiring this should bring.
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 01-06-18 at 07:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SurbitonBoy View Post
    When I got a shipment from New Zealand of my Williams Warn Beer Brewer it had a whole set of tilt and shock sensors from http://www.drypak.com/shippingHandlingIndicators.html
    The shipper had notes about if the package had been tilted more than 30 degrees that it would need to be returned as it would be damaged.
    Wow, this stuff is the dog's bollocks. Love it. Following up now. Thank you!

shockWatch2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by xpresso View Post
    Would it be either simpler to deliver without legs attached ?.
    OR
    A block of polystyrene slightly thicker than the legs, but the same dimension of the machine base and cut neat holes to accommodate the legs.

Jon.
    The legs still need to get to the customer. Whether they're attached or not to the machine, they'd still get damaged if we don't figure out how to protect them.

FYI today we sent a machine out with a hand-made brace, that fits on the vulnerable feet, and protrudes a few millimeters wider than the machine. This brace should take the shock now instead of the espresso machine legs. I'm (obviously) in contact with the recipient-to-be, so that we can find out how it goes.

IMG_8764.jpg IMG_8761.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Even marking parcels and packages either 'Fragile' or 'This way up' is a challenge for the couriers, the people handling the goods to actually do their worst.
    Having an enclosed device recording the handling characteristics is fine but does not unfortunately solve the problem just apportions blame, if a financial penalty can be applied it would require being defined to which leg of the journey and proved to be at that point.
    Not sure if using a named carrier does ensure they actually handle it from A to B, often items go to hubs that can involve input from other handlers as I've experienced in the past.
    The very reason many people ask for collection only, not that it is possible in this instant.

Jon.
    One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xpresso View Post
    Even marking parcels and packages either 'Fragile' or 'This way up' is a challenge for the couriers, the people handling the goods to actually do their worst.
    Having an enclosed device recording the handling characteristics is fine but does not unfortunately solve the problem just apportions blame, if a financial penalty can be applied it would require being defined to which leg of the journey and proved to be at that point.
    Not sure if using a named carrier does ensure they actually handle it from A to B, often items go to hubs that can involve input from other handlers as I've experienced in the past.
    The very reason many people ask for collection only, not that it is possible in this instant.

Jon.
    The thing is, you are paying for a service to company A. Doesn't matter who they subcontract the service to, the service needs to be according to a defined terms and if it doesn't, they have insurances for that. I have been shipping over 200 packages daily for the last 10 years to all over the world and when you send highly sensible parts/equipment, you do want to use controls that tell the person on the other end that what they received has been treated the way it should, and if it doesn't, the customer does not accept the package.

John needs to decide which cost he wants to increase, the cost of making sure that whatever they do the machine will arrive in perfect conditions (believe me, they will always find a way of destroying something you thought could whistand a nuclear blast), or just spend on the use of those controls that will tell the customer, your package has been mistreated and changes are what is inside is not going to work. To go the second route though, you need to really know what will and what will not be "quasi fatal" for the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Default Decent espresso

Why Elektra put their bigger machine on a pallet and nail the box to it and I believe Vesuvius and few other fragile pressures profile machine is also shipped this way in a addition of the wooden box.

This is basically the only time where it didn’t look like the curriers where’s using it as a football.

You don’t just toss a woodbox around, the downside pretty impossible to get to anything over second floor and it makes shipping substantial more expensive.
    Last edited by malling; 02-06-18 at 07:14.
    Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I've received some disasters through the post, the goods making for a good jigsaw puzzle, some deservedly owing to packaging, others just pure abuse, I agree you enter into a contract at the point of sale but you may end up with one person dealing with a seperate mound of paperwork dealing with claims and counterclaims.

One package of a full (Pre-owned) crockery service did arrive without any damage, I was very impressed with his method of packaging and not sure if it could be adopted in this instance (Maybe ECO reasons).
    What he had done was to wrap the whole lot together enclosed in a very thin gauge large plastic bag, used a second large plastic bag to sit in the box, sat the goods inside on a small bit of styrene to ensure it was clear of the base and then filled with expanding foam.
    At the time I thought it was a good idea as it ensured the goods were totally encased with all the voids filled and the foam taking any punishment and restricting movement in the box.

Jon.
    Last edited by xpresso; 02-06-18 at 10:52. Reason: description

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

WechatIMG151.jpg

Our "Decent" production speed getting a bit better.

Monday: 5 machines shipped
    Tuesday: 7 machines shipped
    Wednesday: 3 machines shipped

17 machines out of last week's batch of 20 (that we built at the same time) had no problems.

Problem espresso machines this week:
    - One had a bad PC board (despite being tested before assembly)
    - One had a gasket leak
    - One had the cable break to a thermometer probe

Thus far, we have made and shipped 73 Decent Espresso machines. Shipping 15 machines in 3 days (21% of the total out in the world) is good progress.

And "this side up" is now on all our boxes, as we noticed that UPS was otherwise immediately putting the boxes on their sides, stacking and occasionally damaging them in shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Get your Decent Machine in a week

jumpahead.jpg

We still have two to three months work in order to fulfill our existing espresso machine orders.

However, we've had a slight snag.

We've found that all our remaining "mirror panels" have slight scratches around the mounting holes. I don't want to ship machines to people who will immediately be disappointed by this fault.

However, if you're waiting to receive a machine from us, and you don't mind the scratches, I will build your machine right now, with one of these mirror panels, and you'll get your machine before anyone else.

If you'd like to "jump to the front of the line" please email us https://decentespresso.com/contact

Everyone else: we're going to be hit with a 15 day delay before we can get perfect mirror panels. I've ordered 100 to be made via laser cutting, from a rapid prototyping company that we use frequently. However, they will cost us $80 each, so ouch! this hurts, but it's the best solution I have on such short notice. We should have noticed this earlier, as people are generally quite fussy about the quality of the mirror panel.

Our existing mirror panel manufacturer doesn't want to make them for us anymore, because they think we're too fussy. Well... they'll make them if we switched to "brushed steel". We're getting samples made by two other companies, but that's going to take a month. Then our price drops to $20, which is a lot better.

Unfortunately, changing the mirror panel once the machine is fully assembled is really difficult, so the option of "ship out a perfect panel to customers later" is not a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Speaking as an Englishman, I think I’m about ready to declare ‘Decent’ to be an authentic bit of British understatement.

It seems to me that the machine can genuinely be regarded as both innovative, and disruptive of decades of ‘me-too never mind the quality feel the weight’ engineering.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Page 186 of 206 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196 ... LastLast