Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 185 of 218 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2171

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I had a HX machine before and I can get much more out of the coffee with my DE1+.
    Just had a delicious lever shot with a range of aromas I couldn’t get with my Rancilio S24....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xpresso View Post
    Not forgetting a Puqpress.

Jon.
    Count me in - I got both
    Espresso: La Spaz Viv II w. web/light, Decent DE1PRO+, La Pavoni Stradivari STH​, MK PEAK, Lido E-T
    Black: Chemex 6-cup, Kalita 185/155, AeroPress, Bruer ColdBrew, MK EK43, Feldgrind, Santos #4 bulk
    Roasting: Bullet R1, Cafemino KTMS-X1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Will the Decent machines work with any Bluetooth scale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Decent espresso

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Will the Decent machines work with any Bluetooth scale?
    Yes, I use it with the Skale2 DE sells. See my screenshots above (brown line is weight). Their DE scale would be perfect but it is not available and not sure if it will ever be.
    Acaia is not supported since they want special agreements from DE which runs against their open source approach (I fully understand)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    Yes, I use it with the Skale2 DE sells. See my screenshots above (brown line is weight). Their DE scale would be perfect but it is not available and not sure if it will ever be.
    Acaia is not supported since they want special agreements from DE which runs against their open source approach (I fully understand)
    That would be a shame, the Acaia Lunar would be the obvious match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    That would be a shame, the Acaia Lunar would be the obvious match.
    It would be, and I own a Lunar, but Acaia have removed their API (it used to be available, but then they made it incompatible and never published a new one) and they do not allow 3rd party apps. That's why we don't work with Acaia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    What's interesting to me about this shot is the huge pressure decrease he's using, mimicking a lever shot (from 9 bar to 4 bar in 20 seconds). By looking at the brown line (espresso flow into cup) you can see that Embrya's profile is effective at maintaining a steady flow rate into his cup.

I've seen leverheads create this steady espresso flow with exceptional Bicep Control(tm) on their lever machines, and it makes for very smooth, thick espresso.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Chasing down a strange shipping damage problem

ship3.jpg

7 of our espresso machines so far have arrived at their customer's house with a bent leg. Nothing else is broken: not the suitcase, not even the tablet or the ceramic parts. The legs are made of 2.5mm thick aluminum metal, and we cannot bend by hand. And it only happens occasionally.
    What's going on?

Today, we think we finally figured it out.

Here's the scenario we're imagining...

First: UPS takes our espresso machine and tilts the box 90º in his truck, and then loads several boxes on top of it/

Next: the steady weight and consistent truck bouncing induce metal fatigue that can bend even a thick piece of metal.

Ok, yeah, I know: we should have put THIS SIDE UP on our cardboard boxes. I didn't bother to because I didn't think the delivery people would follow the directive. I figured we needed to determine how to have our protective packaging survive most scenarios.

5 of us engineers brainstormed for a long while on this, and tomorrow we're going to try out our idea.

By luck, the front feet have 3.5mm screw holes in them, for the rubber feet. We're going to cut a bar out of angled aluminum and bolt it onto the legs before shipping. Not only will this prevent the legs from moving, but the bar will be slightly wider than the DE1+ so that it bears the load.

Attached are two photos of a cardboard mockup of the idea.

ps: for the 7 customers who have suffered this problem, we've sent them a free leg replacement sent in the mail. It only takes removing 4 Phillips screws to swap the leg base out.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I've often wondered about this but could you use a sensor fitted to the packaging internally to help track down this problem? I think some kind of accelerometer linked to a recording device would be able to track the position/orientation of the box through transit. Probably something like a raspberry pi or arduino board would do the job for low cost (could also do things like temperature, stationary time, impacts etc).

I am not sure if there are rules about doing this but it has always struck me that given the horror stories about parcels that you hear about (and see on YouTube) , it would be useful to get some concrete data. Sure there would be a cost associated with doing this on every parcel but that could be weighed against the cost of replacement parts and reputational damage when things go wrong. If it would help track the problem down more quickly it might actually save money. It might also show which couriers actually look after your parcels and which don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I got a shipment from New Zealand of my Williams Warn Beer Brewer it had a whole set of tilt and shock sensors from http://www.drypak.com/shippingHandlingIndicators.html
    The shipper had notes about if the package had been tilted more than 30 degrees that it would need to be returned as it would be damaged.

Page 185 of 218 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195 ... LastLast