CoffeeHit
Page 184 of 218 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2171

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My lever machine is from the other end of the spectrum to the DE1. I purchased it specifically for its simplicity. However, I'm becoming utterly fascinated by these graphs. Thank you for posting.
    Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    My lever machine is from the other end of the spectrum to the DE1. I purchased it specifically for its simplicity. However, I'm becoming utterly fascinated by these graphs. Thank you for posting.
    At some point Nick, there will be enough DE1+s around for some properly done blind taste testing against other types of machines with exactly the same coffee using the same grinder calibrated for each machine (e.g. a Niche, because it can easily be adjusted back and forth). That would be an interesting time. In fact I now have 4 different dual boiler machines, so it's something that could definitely be done and others have HX machines they can bring. Who knows, perhaps the lowly HX would win the day?
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    At some point Nick, there will be enough DE1+s around for some properly done blind taste testing against other types of machines with exactly the same coffee using the same grinder calibrated for each machine (e.g. a Niche, because it can easily be adjusted back and forth). That would be an interesting time. In fact I now have 4 different dual boiler machines, so it's something that could definitely be done and others have HX machines they can bring. Who knows, perhaps the lowly HX would win the day?
    Might as well throw a vintage la pav into the mix for gits & shiggles.

Will definately be interesting to aee all the comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    Might as well throw a vintage la pav into the mix for gits & shiggles.

Will definately be interesting to aee all the comparisons.
    For sure......because different people are going to prefer different things as well, which might mean there no such thing as a best machine....just a best machine for "you".
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

For me, a good extraction makes a far greater difference to the taste in the cup than the brew temperature (within sensible limits), which is why I've never been interested in dual boiler machines. However, this is just a theory, I'd love to be able to test it.
    Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    For me, a good extraction makes a far greater difference to the taste in the cup than the brew temperature (within sensible limits), which is why I've never been interested in dual boiler machines. However, this is just a theory, I'd love to be able to test it.
    I've tested so many machines now Nick that brew temperature is one of the more difficult things, most people unless they know exactly how to flush their HX machines will struggle to get it even close, then it does make a big difference. Just my experience from a lot of testing tasting and temperature testing in recent years. I'm not saying you can't get good brew temps without a dual boiler, but a well set up dual, just makes things easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

With the Portaspresso I've also discovered how important the temperature is in connection to roast level...2 degrees Celsius difference can make the (light-roast natural process beans) espresso undrinkable or excellent, other parameters being equal
    The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.
    MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feldgrind, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is anyone aware of reviews of the decentespresso grinder posted anywhere? I'm getting my DE1+ on Thursday and I don't have an espresso grinder =P (oops...).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default A cold portafilter affects the shot

shot2.jpg

In my previous posting about my "morning espresso" I indicated that my first espresso of the day had a more even infusion temperature than the 2nd one. The reason is that I currently rinse my portafilter out with cold water, and so my 2nd shot has a cooler portafilter than the first (which has been locked into the DE1+ for 30 minutes)

Attached above are photos of this 2nd espresso.

You can see that the shot starts about 1.5ºC under temperature. The DE1+ then tries to quickly compensate by putting in slightly-hotter-than-goal water. This causes the infusion temperature to 0.75ºC slightly over at 15 seconds into the shot, before it settles in at 0.3ºC over temperature for the last 7 seconds of the shot.

Obviously, still very good temperature results, just not as perfect as a fully warmed up portafilter.

A goal I have with this tablet software I've written, is to help you improve your barista skills, by seeing the effects of your actions.

For comparison purposes, here's the temperature line on my 1st espresso of the day.

bettertemp.jpg

North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    Not forgetting a Puqpress.

Jon.
    One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Page 184 of 218 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast