Adams and Russell
Page 179 of 205 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2042

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    Thanks John - is yours rubber or silicone?
    The one we use is made NBR rubber, like all the Italian professional machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreugv View Post
    Great news! A year or so ago I ended up buying 20+ Cafelat 8.5 silicone gaskets.
    Those absolutely will work with our machine. I decided not to go with silicone because there's already enough about our machine that will provoke a "there's too much new here" emotional reaction. I preferred to ship our machine with a group head locking feel that was similar to Italian professional machines. However, I do recognize this is absolutely a matter of personal preference

Now for the real question. Do you have any idea of how many shots did this machine that Shin showed us had prepared?
    No, sorry, I don't know, but when he's demoing at the cafes he's often pulling shots for customers as they come in, so I'd expect it to be several hundred shots, at least. I wanted to clean the group after pulling 1000 shots on a DE1+ at the South Korea Coffee Show.

Have you tried other kinds of shower screens?Also, if you change the shower screen to something more restricted (Like an IMS competition), will that affect flow rate?
    Yes, as it happens our v2 DE1+ had the IMS competition shower screen on it. You're welcome to switch to it, if you prefer. We weren't able to justify the increased cost, and on homebarista, people discussing shower screens generally haven't been able to objectively tell if there's an improvement.

My feeling is that if the flow is uneven, it's too late for the shower screen to do anything about it. The problem needs to be addressed earlier in the group head water path.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stern View Post
    Cleaning group head:

1. After how many espressos do you expect a home user would be advised to clean the group head parts?
    A professional barista would be more qualified to answer that, than I am. There's nothing especially different about our group head parts that would lead to a different cleaning schedule than other pro machines.

But generally, I clean my group head parts when I notice that the flow (without a portafilter) is uneven. When I take the shower screen off at that point, I invariable find coffee gunk all over the screen, and washing it evens the flow out again. I'm not sure if it's just oil, or fines as well. The shower screen does a good job of blocking coffee grind "boulders" but I expect that fines can mix around the inside of the group head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stern View Post
    2. Have you evaluated the feasibility of smaller holes in either the lower or middle diffuser to reduce the amount of coffee grounds migrating upward? Minimizing migration to the top diffuser seems especially desirable since it requires 4 screws to remove. Since the bottom diffuser is thin, perhaps it could have a larger number of smaller diameter holes, like a filter basket.Perhaps the middle diffuser, being thicker, could have conical holes, with the narrow end down. The conical shape would permit a smaller diameter outlet to block coffee without proportionately increasing impedance to water flow — like the VST basket holes, but inverted.
    The group head parts were subjected to a huge amount of R&D, using fluid dynamic simulations, to obtain even water distribution at a variety of flow rates. This was quite challenging to accomplish, and our fluid dynamic simulations found that existing holes-around-a-circle diffusers were quite bad at this (at lower flow rates)

As coffee drink quality is the main goal for these parts, I would move very slowly in changing anything in there at this point. We could look at fewer screws, to ease disassembly, but at the same time, "if it works, don't fix it".

Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    @ Bob Stern:
    You cannot avoid the group getting dirty as it is from coffee oils/fat mainly - not from particles moving up!
    Cleaning interval was mentioned by John: once the water comes out uneven.
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Bad Day Coffee on the beautiful Eastern coast of Taiwan continues his amazing series of handmade Lego versions of classic espresso machines https://www.instagram.com/explore/lo...ad-day-coffee/ with a LEGO DECENT ESPRESSO MACHINE.

His photos of classic machines he's made is amazing (I recommend browsing them as a great distraction from real work) and I'm so flattered to be part of his collection.

lego-de1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    Bad Day Coffee on the beautiful Eastern coast of Taiwan continues his amazing series of handmade Lego versions of classic espresso machines https://www.instagram.com/explore/lo...ad-day-coffee/ with a LEGO DECENT ESPRESSO MACHINE.

His photos of classic machines he's made is amazing (I recommend browsing them as a great distraction from real work) and I'm so flattered to be part of his collection.

lego-de1.jpg
    One of the things I noticed by changing the shower screen (more than a better distribution) is how much clean everything is before the screen. I do not know if this is due to smaller hole size, having less holes or some other physical effect, but it is true. Also my NS got a better water distribution from it so I was really happy by that purchase.

Abouth the Silicone gaskets, again, I totally love them and never going back to rubber. The most important reason is that it is more sanitary. Then again there all those added perks. Easier to remove for a deeper cleaning, does not "bake", it is food safe, etc... A little bit too late for first release version, but I would encourage you to go that way on future revisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

About the Silicone gaskets, again, I totally love them and never going back to rubber. The most important reason is that it is more sanitary. Then again there all those added perks. Easier to remove for a deeper cleaning, does not "bake", it is food safe, etc... A little bit too late for first release version, but I would encourage you to go that way on future revisions.
    On one of my tours, I had a Cafelat silicone gasket in there, and I got a few comments like "what's wrong with your portafilter fit? It feels strangely mushy".

This feel was seen as a strong negative and really colored the person's opinion of our machine. If you're pro-silicone, great, it's a cheap and easy swap. However, I'm not likely to risk losing customers by making silicone the default. Hope you understand.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanic View Post
    I don't expect everyone to know everything but if it is a bank holiday which is quite international I find it baffling that people who work in business affected by it don't know what's going on..I'm not sure what level of significance does it hold in the anglo-saxon world nowadays and of course you can ignore anything but still..blimey
    I think it's almost easier for people in service to not know about bank holidays - it is after all worth remembering when you have a day off but worth forgetting when your day is just busier because everyone else is out enjoying themselves ^_^ - all depends on how much you enjoy your job of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    On one of my tours, I had a Cafelat silicone gasket in there, and I got a few comments like "what's wrong with your portafilter fit? It feels strangely mushy".

This feel was seen as a strong negative and really colored the person's opinion of our machine. If you're pro-silicone, great, it's a cheap and easy swap. However, I'm not likely to risk losing customers by making silicone the default. Hope you understand.

-john
    Oh yeah that makes sense. It was weird for me when I swaped it. I guess it is a matter of getting used to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Decent espresso

My DE1+ arrived here in South of Germany and I’ll show you some pictures:

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is small and light, but quite deep. Good impression so far, but some not so nice marks on the frame:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It was easy to start, but at first attempts pressure was too low. I used the Decent 7 g basket and default profile. With E61 profile it was better. Obviously I have to grind finer than for my previous Rancilio S24. Have to adopt to it...more next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How easy is it to control the steam on one of these?

Page 179 of 205 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189 ... LastLast