The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster
Page 177 of 183 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1830

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I'm more curious what kind of revolutionary pumps are you using that can sustain working with water at 50-70 degree Centigrade on a daily basis.
    Sorry the flow diagram is a bit old and I need to update it. We no longer heat the water in the tank so the pumps operate at room temperature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

If you read the official diagram, you can see that the decent machine works with 50-70 C water in the tank. I believe that this is achieved through re-circulation every time you power the machine on, since the original, abandoned prototype, model featured a heated tank. Also an usual vibration pump works with water at a max of 35C.

A couple of concerns: how ok is it to re-heat the same water over and over, assuming one doesn't change water on a daily basis, and second what's the life expectancy of a vibration pump working at such high temperatures.
    The same question has been asked and responded to just a page or two back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And to the search challenged, here's the flow diagram: https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthrea...105#post590105

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

If you read the official diagram, you can see that the decent machine works with 50-70 C water in the tank. I believe that this is achieved through re-circulation every time you power the machine on, since the original, abandoned prototype, model featured a heated tank. Also an usual vibration pump works with water at a max of 35C. A couple of concerns: how ok is it to re-heat the same water over and over, assuming one doesn't change water on a daily basis, and second what's the life expectancy of a vibration pump working at such high temperatures.
    @dev you're absolutely right that running vibe pumps constantly at those temperatures would cause degraded performance.

I think you missed the multiple comments from myself and Ben, that the diagram is out of date on this point. We no longer heat the water in the water tank, and have not for about a year. My apologies for the confusion this caused.

The additional heat we need to get through an espresso shot is now stored in the aluminum wrapped around the water heater, so that we can work with room temperature input water.

My lead mechanical engineer Ben made that chart, and we didn't notice it was out of date on this point until after I posted it. And he's very busy on much more pressing things at the moment (a refresh on the group head and a new water heater design, and moving to Australia) to work on the graphic.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Our man Shin in South Korea has been visiting cafés nonstop with his DE1+, and.... that means a cleaning of the group head parts is a good idea.

Coffee is food, after all, and cleaning out gunk will even out the flow from the shower screen, as well as keep old coffee flavors from intruding on your fresh coffee.

Shing made a quite hilarious, and useful English/Korean video of how he took everything apart and cleaned it.

I know quite a few cafés that do this every evening with their professional machines. If you're a home user, I recommend doing this when you notice that the water flowing out of the shower is uneven, which likely indicates coffee oil buildup.

Keen eyes will notice that the brass parts look a bit ugly due to brass tarnishing. I pointed this out to Shin. He bought some brass cleaner and was pleased to see the parts restored to their like-new glory:

preview-full-20180501_154152.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Decent espresso

Accidentally posted and thus deleted....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks. Should the temperature probe also be cleaned or better not touched at all?
    I made the experience with my Rancilio S24 and Epoca that regularly backflushing with coffee cleaner (like Pulycaff) cleans these parts also good (and the screws don’t get worn...).

But surely some day the gasket of the grouphead needs to be changed and then one will have to do the same way I suppose.
    Do you already have replacement gaskets?
    Stefan

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    Thanks. Should the temperature probe also be cleaned or better not touched at all?
    If you see that it's dirty, then yes, you should clean it. The metal around that probe is 0.5mm thick stainless steel, for fast response, so obviously you shouldn't scrape at it with a screwdriver. An abrasive sponge and a cleaning product should be fine (it's not that delicate, owing to its strong shape).

I made the experience with my Rancilio S24 and Epoca that regularly backflushing with coffee cleaner (like Pulycaff) cleans these parts also good (and the screws don’t get worn...).
    I look forward to learning more from our customers about what works, for cleaning and many other topics.

But surely some day the gasket of the grouphead needs to be changed and then one will have to do the same way I suppose. Do you already have replacement gaskets?
    Yes, we do sell our own gaskets, here:
    https://decentespresso.com/cart?s=70008+1

note that the price is a bit more expensive than others, because shipping from HK has to be accounted for by us.

You're welcome to use any 8.5mm gaskets (NBR or Silicone, as you wish) from any source you like, as we are completely compatible with the standard. Before we made our own, we were using Simonelli NBR gaskets, and Cafelat silicone gaskets.

Note that one reason we put the group head handle on is to tempt people to not over-tighten the portafilter, which baristas often do by leaning into the handle with all their body weight. Less muscle when locking in the portafilter will greatly extend the life of your gasket.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks John - is yours rubber or silicone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Scott Rao and Matt Perger wrote short and promising statements:

https://decentespresso.com/de1plus

Page 177 of 183 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast