1920 Caffe UK
Page 171 of 213 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2124

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Decent HQ: a bit more organized

Here's an update on our progress in putting together a lean, mean, espresso building machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default DE1+ owner Damian Scisci has a new video: Pressure vs. Flow Profiling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The machine has temperature sensors in (I think) eight spots: (1) secondary manifold, (2) water heater, (3) hot side of mixing manifold; (4) cold side of mixing manifold, (5) primary manifold, (6) steam heater, (7) group head, (8) right above the portafilter.

At times (between shots?) the UI lists two temperatures: goal and metal. While a shot is being pulled, the UI lists three temps: goal, coffee and water. What locations correspond to "metal," "coffee" and "water"? Are those, respectively, sensors 7, 8 and 5? And the goal, is that the goal for 8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    one of our beta testers has reported that water in his locale (Seattle) has tarnished the polished aluminum drip tray cover. Attachment 32964
    Any further reports of tarnishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roastini View Post
    The machine has temperature sensors in (I think) eight spots: (1) secondary manifold, (2) water heater, (3) hot side of mixing manifold; (4) cold side of mixing manifold, (5) primary manifold, (6) steam heater, (7) group head, (8) right above the portafilter.

At times (between shots?) the UI lists two temperatures: goal and metal. While a shot is being pulled, the UI lists three temps: goal, coffee and water. What locations correspond to "metal," "coffee" and "water"? Are those, respectively, sensors 7, 8 and 5? And the goal, is that the goal for 8?
    "metal" is the temperature of the metal on the group head brass itself (it, not water contact).

There are two sensors on the top of the group head. One is on the brass metal itself, and another is in the water path as water enters the top of the group. As this is a water path diagram, my memory is that the metal-temperature sensor is NOT on the diagram I posted, hence your confusion. My apologies if I got this wrong, I'm writing this on a laptop at home, but I think that's right. =:-O

As to the group water temperature sensor: in the past, we've used that to improve our mixing algorithm, but as of the current firmware, that sensor is not used.

The goal temperature displayed on the tablet is the "coffee" sensor, right above the portafilter. The upper group sensor might go away in a future version, but at the moment, it's really useful for us to see the effect on water temperature of various actions, every few centimeters as the water travels toward the coffee puck. If you take the screw off your shower screen (to clean it, for instance) of your about-to-arrive-to-you DE1+, you'll see the temperature probe poking in there.

I've put arrows on the 3 sensor, in the photo below. The two water temp sensors on the group differ by their depth in the group head.

IMG_5962.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by roastini View Post
    Any further reports of tarnishing?
    A citric acid cleaning solution has been found to also tarnish the drip tray cover, so we're recommending that when you clean the DE1, you put the drip tray cover aside.

Except for tarnishing from acid contact, we haven't heard of new tarnishing reports.

That being said, we're still moving forward with a hard-to-tarnish replacement drip tray cover, for v1.1, and we'll replace gratis and v1.0 owner who has tarnishing. At the moment, nothing else is visibly tarnishing on any machine from any users.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Have you considered hard anodising the drip tray covers? Not sure it would help as anodising may well tarnish more easily that the alu itself... Just a thought is all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Have you considered hard anodising the drip tray covers? Not sure it would help as anodising may well tarnish more easily that the alu itself... Just a thought is all.
    Yes, that was our first choice, as we use anodising on our tampers handles.

We were told that anodising had two issues:
    1) the closely spaced bars of the drip tray would be difficult, and would tend to stick together
    2) food safety cannot be guaranteed.

We have a really pretty electroplated sample here now, that has been holding up well to use. It is not guaranteed to be food safe either, but that might be a compromise we have to make for now, as we make the move to stainless steel.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Advanced Profiles

profiling2c.jpg

The "ADVANCED PROFILE" editor, which allows you to create virtually any espresso program you like, has been the big remaining unimplemented feature in our espresso machine.

As of today, it (mostly) works, as it's available as a free "app upgrade" inside the tablet software to the Decent Espresso Machine.

Advanced shots can do some interesting things:
    - different goal temperatures at different steps in the espresso
    - pauses, with no water flow (for preinfusion, or for making a pour-over coffee)
    - espresso with more than 3 steps (which can be created in the easier-to-use Pressure and Flow profile editors)
    - mixing flow and pressure control strategies, inside a single espresso
    - a step in espresso making can conditionally move onto the next step when a certain flow or pressure "exit condition" is met.

I'm attaching some screen pictures of samples of my testing the DE1+ in different ways.

PS: I wrote "(mostly) works" because there are two aspects which aren't yet working, but should be next week:
    1) ending an espresso step based on total volume (for now, use "seconds" to control a step)
    2) setting the water at a constant temperature (not adapting to the puck temperature sensor) is not yet implemented.

Everything else about the Advanced Shots seems to work, though I do expect that there will be bugs for us to fix, as real users make espresso with this new technology.

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    profiling2c.jpg

The "ADVANCED PROFILE" editor, which allows you to create virtually any espresso program you like, has been the big remaining unimplemented feature in our espresso machine.

As of today, it (mostly) works, as it's available as a free "app upgrade" inside the tablet software to the Decent Espresso Machine.

Advanced shots can do some interesting things:
    - different goal temperatures at different steps in the espresso
    - pauses, with no water flow (for preinfusion, or for making a pour-over coffee)
    - espresso with more than 3 steps (which can be created in the easier-to-use Pressure and Flow profile editors)
    - mixing flow and pressure control strategies, inside a single espresso
    - a step in espresso making can conditionally move onto the next step when a certain flow or pressure "exit condition" is met.

I'm attaching some screen pictures of samples of my testing the DE1+ in different ways.

PS: I wrote "(mostly) works" because there are two aspects which aren't yet working, but should be next week:
    1) ending an espresso step based on total volume (for now, use "seconds" to control a step)
    2) setting the water at a constant temperature (not adapting to the puck temperature sensor) is not yet implemented.

Everything else about the Advanced Shots seems to work, though I do expect that there will be bugs for us to fix, as real users make espresso with this new technology.

-john
    Perfect!
    Will it be implemented in the 20 machines being shipped soon or shall we download it later?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    Will it be implemented in the 20 machines being shipped soon or shall we download it later?
    The feature will be there.

We always update the tablet to the current software versions, before we ship any espresso machine.

However, that's not say that we produce software that has no bugs, so I expect that you will want to continue getting updates over wifi from us, as we improve things.

-john

Page 171 of 213 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast