1920 Caffe UK
Page 138 of 218 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2171

Thread: Decent espresso

  1. #1371
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    The drainage hole would never leak water unless there were a leak inside. Under normal operation, this should never happen. The leak needs to be immediately obvious to the user and cause them to send the machine in for repair.

    The drainage hole is there is that if there is an internal leak, you have water on your countertop, instead of the water shorting out the electrical mains and potentially shocking you.

    We already had "drainage slots" along the sides of the machine, about 2mm wide, running the length of the machine. However, these are not large enough according to the UL standard, which is why we've added the new 8mm drainage hole.

    If an internal leak did occur, the upper metal box would drain onto the top of the legs, and would then pour out of the sides of the machine.

    Attachment 31753

    We did not want the leaking water to go into the water tank, because then you might not notice it. And yuck.

    The 4mm gap between the top and bottom is also to provide ventilation.

    Finally, we've designed this gap to be invisible from most standing angles, because it is in the shadows of the bent-round chassis. You can see that here (this is the older v2 machine I have in my machine [current rev is v5], so don't panic about the fact that parts of it are ugly <smile>)

    Attachment 31754
    My dishwasher has a polystyrene float inside that'll throw up an error code & stop the machine filling (much like a cistern ballcock). It might be an option for the future instead of relying on the user to spot a puddle.

  2. #1372
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Posts
    1,225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Readily available are 'Wet leaf' detectors and under another name a similar piece of kit for under domestic appliances to detect leaks afore damage can be done especially to wood/laminate flooring.
    The 'Wet leaf' I refer to is used in automatic garden irrigation, left exposed to the weather it detects the presence of water (Rain) and eliminates the irrigation period.
    They are inexpensive, small and take up very little space, well suited for this application, simply dry them off to re-set.

    Jon-Willy

  3. #1373
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xpresso View Post
    Readily available are 'Wet leaf' detectors and under another name a similar piece of kit for under domestic appliances to detect leaks afore damage can be done especially to wood/laminate flooring. The 'Wet leaf' I refer to is used in automatic garden irrigation, left exposed to the weather it detects the presence of water (Rain) and eliminates the irrigation period.
    They are inexpensive, small and take up very little space, well suited for this application, simply dry them off to re-set. Jon-Willy
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    My dishwasher has a polystyrene float inside that'll throw up an error code & stop the machine filling (much like a cistern ballcock). It might be an option for the future instead of relying on the user to spot a puddle.
    For UL safety compliance (and probably CE) we cannot accumulate water, we have to drain it out. We aren't like a dishwasher, where water can be held inside.

    So, we cannot use a "we detect a water leak because water is pooling up"

    However, we could affix a low voltage "water short detector" on the bottom of the inside chassis, which would automatically turn power off if any water were detected near the drain hole. This wouldn't be done to satisfy any UL/CE safety requirements (because they wouldn't acknowledge it), but it would prevent a spill on the countertop if an internal leak developed. I'm going to add this idea for the next DE1 revision.

  4. #1374
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post

    My current understanding is that if we do need a tether, we will be able to supply it as a "some assembly required" step for the customer to do and an instruction sheet.

    I've ordered a sample of a very nice "anti-theft cord" that plugs into the audio jack of the tablet, which would probably be my choice. It looks identical to what you find in an Apple Store to prevent theft. The other end is a small metal disc with 3M glue pre-applied behind some wax paper.

    Some users, such as cafés, might be especially interested in the anti-theft tether so that nobody walks off with their DE1 tablet.

    -john
    If the attachment point was at the back of the machine, and it was provided as something that the customer had to add as part of assembly, that seems like a winner. Like you say, cafes might choose to use it as a sensible security measure, but the majority of home users could simply not bother.

    I'd not be keen to have a hole drilled in the side of the machine that I could see.

  5. #1375
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Posts
    1,225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    For UL safety compliance (and probably CE) we cannot accumulate water, we have to drain it out. We aren't like a dishwasher, where water can be held inside.

    So, we cannot use a "we detect a water leak because water is pooling up"

    However, we could affix a low voltage "water short detector" on the bottom of the inside chassis, which would automatically turn power off if any water were detected near the drain hole. This wouldn't be done to satisfy any UL/CE safety requirements (because they wouldn't acknowledge it), but it would prevent a spill on the countertop if an internal leak developed. I'm going to add this idea for the next DE1 revision.
    My thoughts were that the passage of water would drip/directed over the detector and either alarm, cut off power supply well before it approached being a serious leak.

    Jon-Willy

  6. #1376
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    My current understanding is that if we do need a tether, we will be able to supply it as a "some assembly required" step for the customer to do and an instruction sheet.

    I've ordered a sample of a very nice "anti-theft cord" that plugs into the audio jack of the tablet, which would probably be my choice. It looks identical to what you find in an Apple Store to prevent theft. The other end is a small metal disc with 3M glue pre-applied behind some wax paper.
    This seems substantially uglier than something that glues to the back of the tablet, because it juts out so much. But if it can in fact be sent unassembled, that seems fine to me.

  7. #1377
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    The drainage hole would never leak water unless there were a leak inside. Under normal operation, this should never happen. The leak needs to be immediately obvious to the user and cause them to send the machine in for repair.

    The drainage hole is there is that if there is an internal leak, you have water on your countertop, instead of the water shorting out the electrical mains and potentially shocking you.
    Good. I'm glad it doesn't drain into the water supply. I'm not sure how immediately obvious the leak would be, especially if it was a small leak, but hopefully you're right and it would be obvious.
    Last edited by roastini; 31-01-18 at 01:40.

  8. #1378
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    BTW, I just noticed that the Decent Espresso emulator download page has HTML headers copied from the Decent glassware page. Obviously no rush necessary to fix this, but it does make the page appear oddly in search results.
    Last edited by roastini; 31-01-18 at 01:40.

  9. #1379
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default Knockboxes finally shipping

    knockboxes.jpg

    The knockbox that Joao and I designed a year ago, is now finally shipping. Boxes are queued up today from the preorders, and we have another 370 in stock. https://decentespresso.com/knockbox

    As I've documented here, there have been a number of manufacturing challenges because of the unusual shape and my choice to make it out of 3mm thick aluminum rather than molded plastic. It holds a fairly large capacity (about 25 pucks) because we make a lot of coffee in the office and nobody likes to empty the knockbox "compost" out.

    Because the knockbox is black powder coated over a large surface, about half of our stock is cosmetically perfect. I've decided that if there is 1 imperfection, I'll discount it 30%. 2 or more imperfections means 50% off.

    I've attached two photos showing the kind of imperfections we're seeing. Typically it's a scratch or a variation on the black color (a "blotch"). Sometimes there are some scratches on the knockbar because the hole was slightly too tight.

    knockbox_defects.jpg

    I know that some people advise only selling "absolutely perfect" products for "branding reasons", but (a) I dislike the waste and (b) some folks are happy for the discount and plan to bang the hell out of our products anyway, so they'll soon be imperfect in real use.

    If you like buying things on sale, look here:
    https://decentespresso.com/sale

  10. #1380
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xpresso View Post
    My thoughts were that the passage of water would drip/directed over the detector and either alarm, cut off power supply well before it approached being a serious leak. Jon-Willy
    Agreed, I understand that idea now, and thanks to this forum for coming up with the idea, which is now on a todo list for a future version.

    Quote Originally Posted by roastini View Post
    This seems substantially uglier than something that glues to the back of the tablet, because it juts out so much. But if it can in fact be sent unassembled, that seems fine to me.
    Exactly: glue is not very removable, whereas the headphone plug wire is, with a phillips screwdriver (behind a plastic plug). And if I'm allowed to have it as part of "some assembly required" for UL compliance, then you won't have to remove it in the first place.

    -john

Page 138 of 218 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Coffee Omega EK43 Grinder

Important Site Information


Google Analytics Alternative