Espazzola
Page 129 of 210 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 2098

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Windows version of DE1+ espresso software

screen 2018-01-05 at 4.18.58 PM.jpg

Download it here:
    http://decentespresso.com/download/desktop/win32/de1plus.zip

To run it:
    - unzip de1plus.zip to its own directory
    - no installation necessary: double click the de1plus.exe icon to run it
    - then delete the zip and directory once you're bored with it.

Notes:
    - the purpose of this Windows program is to let you feel what it would be like to own a DE1+ espresso machine, as well as to make it easier for people to develop their own extensions, skins and translations.
    - the non-English translations are not yet up to date. I have some programming work to integrate the latest translations, and I didn't want to delay this win32 release for that. I'll have the translations up to date next week.
    - this is a 32 bit executable. I have tested it on NT (32 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit)
    - I'm working on releasing source and "Linuxen" versions and should have that done in a few days.

-----

Apologies for posting 3 msgs today, gagh!

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    let you feel what it would be like to own a DE1+ espresso machine
    How difficult would it be to have a DE1 version? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You see the problem... the DE1+ is "modal", it can only do one water-related function at a time. The GUI reflects that fact.
    As someone who designs interfaces for a living, in my experience actions that are destructive (cannot undo / cause an immediate state change that is not reversible) you always want to have a confirmation of that destructive action before initiating the action. To put it another way: better to have a desired action take 2 taps than to have an irreversibly action take place accidentally.

Another thing to think about: if you allowed swapping tabs and had actions within the tabs trigger the confirmation dialog to cancel the previous tabs' action, that would allow someone to start brewing espresso and explore/configure elsewhere while they wait (or if they're steaming they could start tweaking an upcoming shot they want to draw next).

When I get some free time I want to concept how the interface could be improved by applying some standard interface design principles. From what I've seen so far it's pretty well done; the main thing I wonder currently is about touch target size for the UI elements on the tablet.

I'm beyond excited about being in the initial 300 batch =).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patrickff View Post
    How difficult would it be to have a DE1 version? Thank you
    It's in the works: soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    Attachment 31111 Attachment 31112

I've bought a few of HM Digital's Coffee Refractometer to evaluate for possible integration into the DE1+ and as something we might also sell.
    http://hmdigital.com/product/rcm-1000bt/

Does anyone reading this have any experience with this refractometer?

I don't have any experience with this or any other coffee refractometer yet. It is a potential red flag to me that HM does not say anything about the precision/repeatability of the measurement. A 0.2 accuracy is not as good as either the Atago or VST units, but usable IF precision is good. Otherwise, there will be too much uncertainty in the measurement for the result to be of much use. I've been leaning toward getting the Atago-no Bluetooth, but much cheaper and has been evaluated with decent results. If I'm going to go through the hassle of a reflectometer measurement, I probably won't mind needing to enter a couple or numbers manually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Decent downloads for Windows, OSX, Linux and Source Code

dls.jpg

https://decentespresso.com/downloads

Notes:

- Both DE1 and DE1+ software is now included
    - This is the first version for Linux users
    - Also, now a separate source code release
    - Windows users running the Antivirus programs "Avast" and "Windows Defender" reported alerts with the "de1plus.exe" previously included. So: with this release, I have switched to "double click de1plus.bat to run", so as to avoid the scary anti-virus false-positive message.
    - OSX has been split into downloads (DE1 vs DE1+) because its security sandboxing didn't allow me to share files between the two icons
    - the translations are still not up to date (sorry! getting this all working was more work than predicted)

-john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the emulator, in the steam pane, when I stop steaming, the right panel displays the time the steaming took, and starts a count-up timer labeled "done" that seems to let me see how long it takes for me to pour the milk into my drink. There's no way to stop this timer, other than to switch away from the steam pane entirely. Maybe that's no big deal, but it seemed a bit odd to me.

Far more concerning, in my view, is that after I've stopped steaming, if I click in the right panel (the "make amazing latte art" panel), that restarts steaming. I appreciate that you want a big on/off button for steaming, but if I click in the left panel, that doesn't restart steaming. The only reason I clicked in the far right panel was that I was hoping it would stop the "done" timer. I was very surprised to have the steam start again. I would suggest limiting the steam on/off button to taps in the center panel.

(I see that there is a "done" timer in the flush and water panes, too, which activate when you finish the flush or water pour. I ever so vaguely understand why someone might want to time how long it took them to pour their steamed milk, but really don't understand what the "done" timer is for in the flush or water panes.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[accidentally posted twice]
    Last edited by roastini; 07-01-18 at 02:32. Reason: [double post]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two things:

(1) Is there an option somewhere to select/deselect screensaver images? Not everyone will want "manga_girls" to potentially pop up on their machine screen when it is inactive.

(2) I can't get the skin change option to work, or the "one-touch" mode to do anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is awesome. My initial impression is the app makes me want to get the machine that much sooner. Not that I was in a stalling mood going in anyway. On the unpack of the zip - since the app isn't signed by Decent Espresso, the unpack will show a warning, but it can be safely ignored. It ran on Windows 10 Pro with Defender without a hitch.

On steaming, I'd like for the app to help me understand how long I steam manually. Right now my analog Cremina it is all about feel. Instead of auto-off after X seconds, let me do a manual on/off and show a timer with elapsed seconds on the steam pane.

After I figure out how long I need, I'll set the designated number of seconds and do the auto-off mode. I steam precisely the same quantity of milk that comes out of the same refrigerator whose temperature gauge says is always holding the same temperature, so I just need to figure out how long is long.

Page 129 of 210 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast