Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 111 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1151

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    Even the FSF certification allows firmware to not be open sourced, because it's a safety certification reality. Today, the only thing blocking us from getting certified is the fact that our tablet isn't using an open source Android distribution. We're working on solving that.
    Probably a very long shot, but <cough>http://copperhead.co</cough>. If there's some miraculous way to work something out with 'em, you get a whole bunch of advantages: AOSP-based, ultra-fast to update, and hardened, so probably as far as one can reasonably go to minimise concerns some might have with having another Android device connected to WiFi...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Default Real espresso behaves in complicated ways

clog.jpg

I wanted to show you how the DE1+ display lets you understand the complicated reality of an espresso shot.

The photos below show the program I set, and what actually happened. This was a "slow to develop" shot, with a long preinfusion, slow drips at the beginning, and then a pressure decline.

The resulting shot was thick, delicious, with a taste of toasted peanuts that I don't get from these beans when I do flow profile shots (which is what I usually do).

I am also showing you these two photos so you can see the difference between the desired program, and what happens when you bring reality (ground espresso) into the picture.

FYI the shot ended before the pressure reached 6 bar, because the in-cup weight of 28g was reached (this was a 14.5g dose).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nishimiya View Post
    Probably a very long shot, but <cough>http://copperhead.co</cough>. If there's some miraculous way to work something out with 'em, you get a whole bunch of advantages: AOSP-based, ultra-fast to update, and hardened, so probably as far as one can reasonably go to minimise concerns some might have with having another Android device connected to WiFi...
    The problem is one of cost and lack of tablet support. The only devices that Copperhead support are the latest, greatest, very expensive mobile phones: (not tablets)

From the copperhead web site:
    CopperheadOS currently supports the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P as a free offering. Pixel and Pixel XL support is available as a product.
    Ironically, we could be FSF certified if we didn't ship a tablet with our espresso machine and asked you to sort yourself out, with us providing you with a download link.

While the Apple world swims in iPad tablets, the Android world is still mostly telephones, and that's reflected in the device support from open source android variants.
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is one of cost and lack of tablet support. The only devices that Copperhead support are the latest, greatest, very expensive mobile phones: (not tablets)
    As I said, long shot... And I can absolutely see where cost might be a serious issue.

As far as tablet support goes, per them, they supported the Nexus 9. Source for this stuff should be available, it then becomes questions of support for hardware features on the tablets you're using / cost of porting and licensing, neither of which is inconsequential, of course. And if you're going to integrate the brains at some point in the future, there also seems to be work on kirin boards. As far as open-sourcing, and long-term security updates, goes, the argument strncat is making in favour of those, vs snapdragon, seems like an interesting one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nishimiya View Post
    As far as open-sourcing, and long-term security updates, goes, the argument strncat is making in favour of those, vs snapdragon, seems like an interesting one.
    I have high hopes for Android 8, and the "Project Treble" initiative to abstract the hardware layer. My understanding is that all Android 8 certified tablets will need to be able to run the stock open source distribution. If this plays out as Google is hoping, then in a few years we'll have affordable generic tablets that run the same "latest and greatest" Android distribution from Google, or any open source distribution that sits on those generic drivers.

More reading:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...reviewed/2/#h6

FYI the tablet we include with our espresso machines is virtually identical to the Nexus 7 (1280x800 resolution) from Asus, though with a newer Android (v5.1 vs v4.1) and some different chipsets. I forget the name of the open source Android distribution that recently imploded, but they had an experimental branch that looked like it could work on our tablet. I think the parts are out there for anyone who wants to play. We will be FYI offering our tablets on their own at USD$99 as a replacement part, in case someone manages to brick theirs. At tablet is much easier to support on Android than a phone, since there isn't any of that fancy phone stuff to implement.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus#Nexus_7
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Good decision. Not really the time to change horses.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I forget the name of the open source Android distribution that recently imploded, but they had an experimental branch that looked like it could work on our tablet.
    CyanogenMod. The non-commercial successor is LineageOS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BTW, it's very exciting to see the "final final" prototype. It makes me think back to about a month ago, when the plan of record was:

So... to succinctly answer your question, parts will start arriving early November, and we'll start by first quality-control testing each part. Then, we'll put together the subassemblies that we can, as the parts arrive. Ideally, the chassis will arrive mid-November and the sub-assemblies will slide right in.

The biggest worry I have at the moment for schedule slippage is the mixing chamber, which is by far the most sophisticated part of the machine, is CNCed from a somewhat exotic material (Ultem) and requires two suppliers (CNC and custom valves) to work together. That's supposed to arrive between 7 to 9 weeks from now.

And of course, the other concern is that Christmas is arriving, and as a relatively small company, our orders might get bumped in our supplier's schedule, to make space for "more important" clients.

The 110V "early access" machines already sold will go out first, while we wait for the testing lab to certify our "final release" and 220V machines. We expect the testing to take 2 months.

Nonetheless, we're very close to the end of this journey, and espresso machines will soon be shipping.
    Are parts still due to arrive in a few weeks, and the chassis in mid-November? Are the Ultem parts still due to come in around late November? Is it reasonable to estimate that units will go out around early December to the testing lab for certification?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roastini View Post
    Are parts still due to arrive in a few weeks, and the chassis in mid-November? Are the Ultem parts still due to come in around late November? Is it reasonable to estimate that units will go out around early December to the testing lab for certification?
    Yes, we've managed to stick to that plan.

Additionally, I will be looking for a few EU area (that still includes the UK) beta testers, but they must be "coffee professionals" (as we have not yet passed the certification testing) and it'd be better if they have experience repairing espresso machines, in case any changes are needed to come into compliance.
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Default Live demo on the DE1+

It’s been awhile since I’ve shown you a shot being made on a current DE1+ machine. So here you go…