Page 104 of 116 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1151

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwCrema View Post
    I used a Foam knife tip on my E61 ...
    Oh yes, please LM compatible thread. I’ve always wanted to try the foam knife but all my machines have used incompatible threads on the wand. Pleeeeeeeeez
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

On a slightly different topic, the picture of the tip shows a four hole. Will there be a single hole tip option? Or, will the wand threading allow compatibility with a Brand X single hole tip? I used a Foam knife tip on my E61 machine, which was vast improvement over its original equipment 4 hole. I finally got to the point I could make the original Cremina 67 four hole tip work, but found a guy on Etsy who offered a correctly sized hole for the Cremina boiler capacity, single tip. Massively easier!
    I'm pretty sure the four-hole you're referring to is from above, and was a piece of clip art I used to illustrate "other steam wands".

Our steam wand tip is currently one hole. That works well with the steam power we currently have (41 seconds to heat 200ml from 8ºC to 65ºC). I have a four hole tip here but it doesn't work well with this steam power. Same for the foam knife, which I have here, and which also does not work well with the DE1 machines.

I do have a traditional two group E61 machine here, and the foam knife was installed on one of its wands. It was*far* *far* superior to the four hole tip.

For the DE1CAFE, we'll have 4x the steam power (from a separate, dedicated 220V plug) and the four hole should then work. However, I'm not a fan of 4 holes, though it'll be there if people want it.

I prefer the "foam knife" approach, and we'll likely design our own version of this idea, probably without a central hole in the middle of the slot. "Water knives" are very common in the pressure-washing industry

knife.jpg

http://www.cwcsupplyusa.com/spraytip...eimeg14qc.aspx

I quite like the idea of being able to choose the width of the spray by changing a tip, like they do in the pressure washing world.

nozzle-fan-selection.jpg

FYI our tips are not currently La Marzocco compatible, as that's not the standard our steam wand supplier uses.

Here's a technical drawing of our tip assembly:

screen 2017-10-02 at 10.18.05 AM.jpg
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 02-10-17 at 03:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Default 3 new Decent products

3 new Decent products today:
    https://decentespresso.com/new

- the Scent One Aroma Standard: 100 perfumes found in coffee and a book describing the chemical composition of each. This is an interesting new coffee description system from Korea, and exceedingly hard to find in stock at the moment. Integrates into the DE1+ espresso machine software. I met Jake, the CEO, a few months ago at SCAE in Hungary. We have a limited stock of 16 kits, which Jake hand-delivered to me last week when we brainstormed all Sunday about the tablet software I'm working on. https://decentespresso.com/scentone

- New "latte" double walled glass. The unique shape opens up wide to let your milk jug enter deeply into the glass. This makes latte art significantly easier to do. We've sold out of all our other glasses and are only focusing on this shape I designed. The "doppio" glass for espresso has a new handle shape, redesigned to more closely follow the tradition. I first showed this idea for a glass 16 months ago in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5Lel1aD3g Also, we're now selling glasses in quantity: one, whereas we used to only sell them in four-packs. More info at https://decentespresso.com/glass

- New portafilter baskets in sizes of 7 grams, 10 grams, and 24 grams. I was in Italy two months ago, where they mostly use smaller sizes, and last month at Berlin Coffee Fest Bugs also got feedback that we needed to provide these traditionally Italian sizes. We've also added the super-huge 24 grams basket for those who like to "overdose" (in a good way). https://decentespresso.com/basket

scentone.jpg

glasses_latte_2b_m.jpg

baskets_all_seven.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post

I prefer the "foam knife" approach, and we'll likely design our own version of this idea, probably without a central hole in the middle of the slot. "Water knives" are very common in the pressure-washing industry

I quite like the idea of being able to choose the width of the spray by changing a tip, like they do in the pressure washing world.
    Nice! I’d be happy with a single hole or fixed foam knife for my future DE1+, with and upgrade option for an adjustable version down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New portafilter baskets in sizes ...
    Which size ships (by default) with the DE1 (and DE1+)?
    (my Silvia mostly takes 23.5g)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patrickff View Post
    Which size ships (by default) with the DE1 (and DE1+)?
    (my Silvia mostly takes 23.5g)
    As of March 3, John said:
    A 20g basket is included, but if you want a different size we'll put whatever you want in. A bottomless portafilter and a blind basket (for cleaning) are also in the package.
    Also, keep in mind that the rated size of a basket is really the approximate midpoint of a range for which it will work well. I have a 20g Decent basket that I most often use with 16g of grounds, for example.
    Last edited by roastini; 03-10-17 at 03:56. Reason: Added last paragraph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My final thought on this whole tip idea - why not go LM compatible on the thread? It was really nice my old e61 machine was LM compatible; it offered a number of other possibilities for tips. While I don't know this for a fact, but it seemed like there were a lot of possibilities with LM tips. On other machines that weren't LM compatible, finding a better tip was a complete hassle. I was rescued by the Etsy craftsman to get a single hole for my Cremina.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Never had the experience of having a 'LM compatible' tip - but perhaps offering thread adapters might be easy? So Decent>LM Tip for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

My final thought on this whole tip idea - why not go LM compatible on the thread? It was really nice my old e61 machine was LM compatible; it offered a number of other possibilities for tips. While I don't know this for a fact, but it seemed like there were a lot of possibilities with LM tips. On other machines that weren't LM compatible, finding a better tip was a complete hassle. I was rescued by the Etsy craftsman to get a single hole for my Cremina.
    My preference would also be to have an LM compatible tip, but we are limited by the relatively few number of companies out there with expertise in designing and making steam wand assemblies. There are about 20 parts in the steam wand assembly, and it's non-trivial to make it swivel in 360º and not leak. The company we use doesn't make their steam wants in an LM compatible manner. If we paid them for the R&D, and ordered a relatively large quantity of wands, they likely would accommodate us. But that would also mean that we'd need to pay for molds and R&D for them to make tips for us.

With this DE1 project we've already reinvented and/or redesigned waaaaay more than I had anticipated, so it was nice to be able to source a well thought out steam wand from somebody, and not have to figure that out too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With this DE1 project we've already reinvented and/or redesigned waaaaay more than I had anticipated, so it was nice to be able to source a well thought out steam wand from somebody, and not have to figure that out too.
    In product development, looking outside in, things seem so easy. For the soul who's on the inside there are "those details" the outsider has no visibility of, and therefore no appreciation of their complexity. A single hole tip is all that I'd like to see happen. Anything else is a bonus.