Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default James Hoffmann reviews DE1+ Decent Espresso machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

@decent_espresso John, when are you planning a live DE session in the London area?

T.
    Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder
    Photography: Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    @decent_espresso John, when are you planning a live DE session in the London area?
    Possibly in December, but I haven't scheduled anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    Possibly in December, but I haven't scheduled anything yet.
    I reckon it's not really possible to get a loaner machine for a short period?

T.
    Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder
    Photography: Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    I reckon it's not really possible to get a loaner machine for a short period?
    Actually, it might be. Mat North in Bristol has a loaner that is doing the rounds. I will private message you his email address.

– John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default For discussion: New Yorker article

This fascinating article by the New Yorker discusses what happens when a formerly low-tech discipline (medicine) becomes computerized.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...heir-computers

The title is misleading (the original published titled was "The Upgrade"), because the direction of the article is much more nuanced. Much of this article spoke directly to what we are trying to do in the world of espresso.

A few takeaways from this article:

• When you computerize medecine, you suddenly have many more things you can accomplish. The original goal of servicing doctor's needs is no longer the single goal.
    • Better care, avoiding mistakes, cost management, and transparency all become doable.
    • All these new goals are compelling and virtually everyone wants them to happen.
    • However, all these new goals depend on good data, well entered into the system.
    • This expansion of what the doctors visit becomes, suddenly causes more work for doctors.
    • The impact (on many fronts) of that doctor's visit are now significantly greater.
    • Initially, all this new data is overwhelming to the doctor, and the tools need to evolve quickly to assist. If they don't, the new data becomes noise quickly and the computerized system self-destructs.
    • Data entry needs to be made as easy as possible. Unclean data is worse then useless: it obstructs.
    • "evolution" and "selection", at the same time, as the key to success.

Here's how I think this applies to the decent espresso project:

• decent is computerizing an old occupation that has been low data, low-tech for a long time
    • The goals are all things people want: a better average espresso, your worst espresso being still very good, and occasionally the best espresso of your life. Some people have specialized goals, such as getting good extractions from very difficult ultralight roasts. Or very high percentage extractions to use less coffee and save costs.
    • The current decent tablet software gives you a lot of data, but I've tried to balance that because I have a fear of information overload for the barista.
    • However, the current software falls more on the "too much information" side than the "not enough information" side.
    • I've made this choice, as the interface designer, because experts don't yet know how to interpret all the data in a way that makes better coffee.
    • As human beings start to understand what this data means, I will start to program these insights into the software, and reduce the amount of data shown to users.
    • Sometimes, the computer can act on behalf of the barista to solve problems without them needing to intervene. Automatic "channel healing", For example.
    • Another example: because our temperature regulation has been getting significantly better this past year, I will soon not show by default the temperature of your espresso as it progresses. It will be available as a tap but not as default information that you have to visually screen out.
    • The article calls out "evolution" and "selection" as the keys. Evolution, in the Decent project, is a combination of my being heavily involved with users, and also open sourcing the software so I can get out of the way. Selection is through feedback on the forum, but also by implementing features as optional "skins" so that people can select what they want.

Toward the end, there is a bit of a case study of the same technical situation in the construction industry, where many of the same insights emerge.

A really thought-provoking article.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey John - this article really resonated with me. I spend at least as much time typing notes as I do seeing patients, and it was really interesting to read others’ experiences, albeit slightly depressing!! Thanks for sharing the link!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Tech tip: how to remove a portafilter basket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)

Seriously!
    Didi matloba

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)

We need more of these valuable tech tips....just the sort of thing people struggle with. Perhaps one showing how to clean a portafilter basket, or how to change out a double for a a single basket/blind filter.

I can see some people might be "triggered" by this though.....
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Page 216 of 217 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217 LastLast