Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 132 of 224 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 2239

Thread: Decent espresso

  1. #1311
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    GUI comments:


    The Mac version of the DE+ emulator crashes on launch on a Retina display Mac running MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). The following comments are based on the preceding version, which did not crash.


    During a shot, the continuously expanding time scale in which “now” defines the right end of the X-axis is dizzying. I’d prefer a preference setting to define a fixed time interval for the X-axis. If the shot exceeds that time, you can let the scale begin expanding.


    The Settings (Gear) icon appears on the flush, steam and water screens even though it is relevant only to Espresso. I suggest moving the Settings icon to the tab bar along the top as an additional tab. Since a user chooses the setting before making espresso, I suggest positioning it as the first tab, and moving the Flush tab to the far right. Although your instinct probably is that the Settings should be less prominent than the other tabs, the Plus model is more for geeks, so my advice seems more appropriate than for the basic model. Also, my idea could be an alternate skin.


    We senior citizens would appreciate larger fonts in many places, such as the legends and numerical markers on the graphs, and the data below the Start button. Gray text for the values is difficult to read. Instead of using gray to distinguish the values from the titles, one option is to use serif and sans-serif fonts, respectively. Alternatively, make the titles blue or gray and the values black. The titles never change, so their readability is less important than the values.

  2. #1312
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default Decent Espresso Factory Photos

    factory.jpg

    Here are a few photos from our new 3000 sq ft (about 300 meters squared) espresso machine factory, where we are starting to build the first 10 machines.

    We have most, but not all of the parts, but everything we ordered should be here in the next two weeks.

    However, as these are our first production machines, we also expect a few "whoops" where we realize that we forgot to buy some small part. This is part of the transition from R&D to production, and now everything has to be done "according to the manual", where we've been writing out and documenting everything little thing.

    As such, the first 10 machines will likely take a few weeks to make, but then things should speed up considerably.

  3. #1313
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default Decent Status Report

    misc-todo.jpg

    1) as discussed here a year ago, we're not gluing the tablet stand to the tablet ahead of time. Instead, you'll peel off the wax paper and place the stand onto the tablet, as appropriate for your body height and tablet height. We're designing a die-cut plastified piece of paper to include, that will serve as a guide to help you center it (photo: bottom left).

    2) we've designed a plastic guide for our use, for gluing the hidden thin iron plate inside the chassis, which keeps the tablet invisibly in place with the magnetized tablet stand. The plate is a large enough magnet that adjusting the tablet (see above #1) still finds its place. (photo: bottom right)

    3) we're finalizing the part to assemble the "catering kit" for those who bought the plumbable DE1PRO+ machines. This is built from an aquarium pump, an LED, an RJ45 connector and cable, and a metal enclosure. Middle-left photo shows the in-house prototype, while middle-right photo shows the planned enclosure.

    4) the PC boards have not yet been delivered. They are finished and sitting in Shenzhen, but the manufacturer accidentally forgot to order one part, which happens to be the main AC power connector (photo: top right). Whoops. Next week, we should receive 10 finalized sets from them and give our approval for full delivery the following week.

    5) we're settling on what colors to assign to which thermometer cables (there are 6 in all) and we'll be receiving the final color-coded fiber tubing next week. (photo: top left)

    6) Two new people started this week (EE/technician Parry, and former seamstress Jennifer), while the two people who started last week didn't work out and are now gone. I had hoped that Jennifer's fine sewing skills would mean that her manual speed and dexterity was a transferrable skill, and that's been extremely the case. She's lightning fast and lead mechanical engineer has slotted her for more advanced tasks. We might be hiring more seamstresses in the future!

  4. #1314
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Regarding the tablet stand I don´t really understand how it is fixed and how adjustments for body height are possible when fixing. Pictures would help!
    Stefan

  5. #1315
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the update. Boxes full of small pieces - just like my son's LEGO

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    the PC boards have not yet been delivered. They are finished and sitting in Shenzhen
    I thought you wanted to make the PCBs in-house, to be able to make changes whenever necessary?

  6. #1316
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickff View Post
    I thought you wanted to make the PCBs in-house, to be able to make changes whenever necessary?

    They designed the PCBs, and I think they intend to assemble the components onto the boards in-house. Actual manufacture, like the rest of the components, is outsourced.

  7. #1317
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by embrya View Post
    Regarding the tablet stand I don´t really understand how it is fixed and how adjustments for body height are possible when fixing. Pictures would help!
    Stefan
    the metal stand glues to the back of the tablet, and the other end is ferrous, and there is a rubber-coated magnet that sits on the DE1. On the inside of the DE1 there is an iron plate stuck where this magnet will sit, which keeps it in place.

    To adjust the angle of the tablet, you glue to a different point on the tablet. Once it's glued, it's not adjustable except by removing it.

    You can lift the entire tablet, and magnet, off the DE1, so that it wipes clean.

    Here's a photo from the tablet on my desk, with labels.

    IMG_7707.jpg

    <cranky> Can I request that we not have a discussion of "why did you choose this stand?" as this was discussed ad nauseum over a year ago, and is a decision that has been made, with 1000 stands now in stock. Another reason the stand is not glued on ahead of time, is so that those who don't like our choice can buy their own stand.</cranky>

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickff View Post
    I thought you wanted to make the PCBs in-house, to be able to make changes whenever necessary?
    We have the facilities here make our own PCBs, and we've done so for the entire R&D process. Outsourced companies really don't like making two PCBs for testing: there's a slow turnaround, and they charge a lot for the setup each time.

    However, now that we need to make a thousand boards (there are several in the DE1) I'd rather outsource that to someone with expensive robotic equipment to make and auto-test the boards. I think the reliability will be much better. Since we're 10km from Shenzhen (it's across the river/border), where 90% of the mobile phones are made, this is worth it. Note that it's actually a bit more expensive (about £15 more per machine), at our (relatively small) quantity, to outsource the board manufacture, but I prefer to go with a process that is easily scaled, so that when (I hope) we start making a lot more espresso machines, we can ramp up production volume easier.
    Last edited by decent_espresso; 12-01-18 at 02:53.

  8. #1318
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stern View Post
    GUI comments:The Mac version of the DE+ emulator crashes on launch on a Retina display Mac running MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). The following comments are based on the preceding version, which did not crash.
    Huh, that's strange, as there isn't much difference between the two versions. Did you copy the DE1+ icon to your desktop? Also, I'm running that exact hardware/OS setup here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stern View Post
    During a shot, the continuously expanding time scale in which “now” defines the right end of the X-axis is dizzying. I’d prefer a preference setting to define a fixed time interval for the X-axis. If the shot exceeds that time, you can let the scale begin expanding.
    A few people have expressed that sentiment, though others have said they like feeling dizzy (grin).

    At any rate, my intent is for the "God shot" feature to resolve this. When you save a God Shot today, you can't see into the future, as the God Shot reference is drawn at the same time as the current real-time shot. I didn't think this was optimal.

    What I plan to do in the future is have the complete God Shot chart lines pre-drawn before the shot starts. In that case, there will be no X axis growth (unless your shot exceeds the God Shot's time).

    This way of resolving this issue be simpler than asking people to specify the number of desired seconds on the axis, which demands a bit too much numeracy to answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stern View Post
    The Settings (Gear) icon appears on the flush, steam and water screens even though it is relevant only to Espresso. I suggest moving the Settings icon to the tab bar along the top as an additional tab. Since a user chooses the setting before making espresso, I suggest positioning it as the first tab, and moving the Flush tab to the far right. Although your instinct probably is that the Settings should be less prominent than the other tabs, the Plus model is more for geeks, so my advice seems more appropriate than for the basic model. Also, my idea could be an alternate skin.
    Settings currently does two things:
    1) as you noticed, it is for espresso (the first two tabs)
    2) however, tabs 3 and 4 of settings are not Espresso related

    That's why access to Settings is available on all tabs.

    It's also likely that we'll have a future ability to set steam parameters (temperature, pressure and flow rate) inside Settings.

    I've mentioned, in response to another set of comments, that the way Settings works will likely get a makeover in version 2. I feel that mixing the "how do you want to make espresso" stuff (flow/pressure curves) with the rest of settings, isn't as optimal as it could be.

    However, what's there works well enough, and I prefer to not redesign "in an echo chamber" and instead I will wait for 1000 machines to have shipped (that's the plan by summer) and then gather real user experiences into the redesign cycle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stern View Post
    We senior citizens would appreciate larger fonts in many places, such as the legends and numerical markers on the graphs, and the data below the Start button. Gray text for the values is difficult to read. Instead of using gray to distinguish the values from the titles, one option is to use serif and sans-serif fonts, respectively. Alternatively, make the titles blue or gray and the values black. The titles never change, so their readability is less important than the values.
    Larger fonts are a real challenge on an 8" tablet with a lot of information to display, and where all text can be in a different language and I have to plan enough space for large languages like German.

    I've tried to design, where I can, for long text strings (the "heart" espresso section, for example), but others, such as the Espresso tab, have a high amount of information density and that's difficult. Labels on charts are (for me) a low priority, because once you know what that chart does, you'll never need to read that text again. Data text is much higher priority to be readable.

    Your readability concerns do not fall on deaf ears, however, and my plan is to make a high-readability version of the Insight skin, with smaller charts and a bit less data on screen, to accomodate larger fonts as well as have higher contrast.

    Note that you do not need to wait for me to improve the situation, you can:
    1) buy your own LARGE Android tablet, such as the 9.7 inch Samsung S3:
    https://www.cnet.com/products/samsun...tab-s3-review/
    and use that instead of our tablet. I posted the Android software for free download a few days ago: https://decentespresso.com/downloads that should work nicely on that tablet.

    2) then, use your Android's Settings to change screen contrast to high

    But at any rate, there will be free software updates, and a "Readable Insight" skin will appear in the future on customer's tablets.

  9. #1319
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default Crimping in Style

    crimping.jpg

    As we're focussing on building espresso machines faster, we're now paying attention to the steps that take more time, or that take a bit of skill (better if it doesn't) to get right.

    "Crimping" in our case means bending a small piece of metal around a wire. We have hand-squeezed tools to do this, but we're finding that our hands are getting tired.

    "thermal fuses" are a fire safety precaution, and they are devices which interrupt the flow of electricity if they reach a certain temperature. The tricky thing is that if the connection to the thermal fuse is not reliable, then your device will be unreliable too. And what's more, the wires have to be crimped, not soldered, onto a thermal fuse, because soldering is hot and can damage the fuse (whoops!) in the process.

    Today we're ordering two different crimping tools so that our connections are more solid and less fatiguing.

    For the thermal fuses, there's the big green machine in the photos. It takes a spool of copper wire, and (kind of like a sewing machine) wraps it around very lightly whatever you've put inside the loop.

    For the grounding tabs and the high voltage electrical connections, a separate machine is required. This one runs on an air compressor, is actuated with a foot pedal, and has various different bits you fit into it, for different kinds of crimps.

    These machines will arrive next week and should speed up this part of the process.

    FYI for machines from v1.2 and later (from August onwards) we plan on having about half of these done ahead of time for us. For example, the thermal fuses will be installed, with a thermostat, onto each water heater, by the new company that will be making those heaters for us. We will still have some crimping to do (so we'll be happy to have these machines) but about half as much.

    -john

  10. #1320
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    the metal stand glues to the back of the tablet, and the other end is ferrous, and there is a rubber-coated magnet that sits on the DE1. On the inside of the DE1 there is an iron plate stuck where this magnet will sit, which keeps it in place.

    To adjust the angle of the tablet, you glue to a different point on the tablet. Once it's glued, it's not adjustable except by removing it.

    You can lift the entire tablet, and magnet, off the DE1, so that it wipes clean.

    Here's a photo from the tablet on my desk, with labels.

    IMG_7707.jpg

    <cranky> Can I request that we not have a discussion of "why did you choose this stand?" as this was discussed ad nauseum over a year ago, and is a decision that has been made, with 1000 stands now in stock. Another reason the stand is not glued on ahead of time, is so that those who don't like our choice can buy their own stand.</cranky>
    Thanks John, now I got it. My interest was in how this is done, not to start a discussion about the stand´s design. This is fine for me!

Page 132 of 224 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Horsham Coffee Roasters

Important Site Information


Google Analytics Alternative