Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: V60 Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MWJB View Post
    You can grind fine, long bloom & dump all brew water in one go...but I suspect this will be a little more variable than controlled pours with a gooseneck.

With a gooseneck, at the moment I'm blooming 25g with a stir & leave 30s. Then either 2 pours of 100g 30s apart, or 3 pours of ~65g 20s apart (almost continuous pour in practice). Swirl at 1:45. Average brew time is ~3:00 til dry bed. Same grind setting as for V60 with 6 pours.

In its favour, I can pick up filter papers at the supermarket (Rombouts brand). I'm using the ceramic version, genuine Melitta with just 1 drain hole. Dripping stops a lot sooner than v60 after dry bed.
    It seems like it should have slower flow rate than V60 (smaller hole), but still not flat bottom and cheaper filters. What makes V60 superior and much more expensive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)

I don't think the V60 is superior, just different. It might be possible to utilise a wider range of grinds for the same brew weights & regulate by pour, compared to Melitta? But this could be true also of the Melitta style brewers with additional drain holes.

V60 is a much more recent design & probably had/was desirable to be noticeably different to the existing brewers.
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

One important metric that's often overlooked seems to be beverage:dose ratio, which is beverage out / dose, similar to how you would measure espresso ratios. This seems to differ depending on how much liquid the beans hold back, if you're rinsing the filter, brewer type and your pouring method. However it seems like it would be much more consistent to aim for a specific beverage:dose ratio and adjust your brew water : dose ratio (i.e. how much water you pour) accordingly.

I looked at a history of my brews and the bev:dose ratio seems to range between 14:1 to 15:1. I seem to prefer the brews which are closer to 15:1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

One advantage dividing the brew into several pours has is that the flow rate seems more even. I often find that the flow rate is faster at the start of the brew and slower at the end. I wonder if this is a problem for methods which add a lot of water quickly as the first half of the brew flows too quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elcee View Post
    One advantage dividing the brew into several pours has is that the flow rate seems more even. I often find that the flow rate is faster at the start of the brew and slower at the end. I wonder if this is a problem for methods which add a lot of water quickly as the first half of the brew flows too quickly.
    I don't think so, assuming extraction is comparable. The concentration of the brews with a lot of water added quickly doesn't swing so much (weaker at the start than pulsed, stronger at the end), whereas you get a bigger jump from the first pulse (very strong) to the last (weaker than average) with a lot of pulses. At the end of the day, there's not a lot of difference.

Dividing up the pour can make brew times more consistent, but that doesn't necessarily make extractions more consistent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_partisan View Post
    It seems like it should have slower flow rate than V60 (smaller hole).
    Indeed. At same grind setting & brew weights, 30s bloom, I'm getting all the water into the Melitta by 1:30, compared to 2:25 for the V60. So for a similar flow rate out & extraction, I can add the water almost twice as fast for Melitta.