Dog and Hat
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: V60 Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MWJB View Post
    I don't rinse white Kalita, V60, Filtropa, Melitta basket papers.
    I meant if people were still doing it in WBC. I didn't really watch any of the presentations, but some of you might have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_partisan View Post
    I meant if people were still doing it in WBC. I didn't really watch any of the presentations, but some of you might have.
    Sorry, yes, I think all but one of the v60 brewers I watched (12 in all) rinsed their papers.
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thought I'd add my current one as it's a bit weird...

I previously had 12g coffee - 25g bloom 30 seconds, then made up to 80g for 30 seconds then 40g every 30 seconds. Total brew time was about 2 minutes 45 seconds (when the bed was cleared). Coffee ground at 6 clicks on a Rhinowares.

Changed papers from a brown one with three oles at the bottom to Hario Dutch white papers with no holes at the bottom and everything went a bit weird, with the brew times being massively longer. After much help from MJWB (thanks!) I've finally gotten a decent coffee from it with the following recipe.

12g coffee, 200g water. 20g bloom for 30 seconds then made up to 50g for 15 seconds. Then 25g added every 15 seconds. Total brew time is 3 minutes 45 seconds. Coffee ground at 9 clicks on Rhinowares grinder (I thought I was happy with 8, then tried 9 again and it was definitely a bit sweeter and had less smokeyness).

I don't know if this is maybe a bad batch of papers, or whether they usually slow down this much, or whether the old brown papers drained unusually fast? But trying a variety of beans through both has definitely narrowed the paper down to being the only variable.

Given the choice, I'd like to go back as it drained a minute quicker so got me my coffee a minute quicker, but the papers did need rinsing sooooooo....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just tried something much more extreme, just to satisfy curiosity.

I set my rhinowares (which is soon to be replaced as it's starting to wear at the handle and slips a lot!) to a whopping 15 clicks.

Previously with brown filters with a few holes in the bottom I was using 6 clicks and extracting over about 2 minutes 45 seconds. Since changing papers to hario dutch, I've used 9 clicks for a coarser grind and a little and often pour regime.

Using 15 clicks (boulder city!) And 40g every 30 seconds it *still* took over 4 minutes to finish (generates a lot of fines) but the coffee is very different - sweeter, not as "present". Not sure I prefer it, but it's nice. I may tighten another click or two and see what that gives as it's lacking in strength - or perhaps the little and often regime will help there.

So there you go. A weird one - just goes to show it's worth experimenting. I feel like the variables are coming together in my head, and that there is more to it than simply aiming for a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morningfuel View Post
    I just tried something much more extreme, just to satisfy curiosity.

I set my rhinowares (which is soon to be replaced as it's starting to wear at the handle and slips a lot!) to a whopping 15 clicks.

Previously with brown filters with a few holes in the bottom I was using 6 clicks and extracting over about 2 minutes 45 seconds. Since changing papers to hario dutch, I've used 9 clicks for a coarser grind and a little and often pour regime.

Using 15 clicks (boulder city!) And 40g every 30 seconds it *still* took over 4 minutes to finish (generates a lot of fines) but the coffee is very different - sweeter, not as "present". Not sure I prefer it, but it's nice. I may tighten another click or two and see what that gives as it's lacking in strength - or perhaps the little and often regime will help there.

So there you go. A weird one - just goes to show it's worth experimenting. I feel like the variables are coming together in my head, and that there is more to it than simply aiming for a time.
    Grind setting is the primary driver of extraction. Time is a guide if you have no other method of measuring extraction. For a V60 with Japanese papers +/-15 seconds will normally cover 2/3 of your brews, considering all of them then some may land +/- 45 seconds. The slower the brew drains (for the same extraction), the wider the variation in brew time, my Brewista brews can be +/-60seconds for 2/3 the brews and still as consistent in extraction as the V60. A wide deviation on time for the same deviation on extraction just makes life easier.

So time needs to be considered with respect to a given scenario/brewer/paper, rather than just to drip/brew ratio/weights. You have to build a picture with a bunch of times, comparing a time from one scenario to a time with another scenario is like taking a little snapshots, of individual trees, we want to see the whole forest :-)

If your brew is lacking in strength, then you have changed the extraction.

Coarse grinds look like they are more inconsistent as particles size goes from 0 to small for a fine grind, but still starts at 0 (to big) for a coarse grind, so wherever you have coarser particles, it visually looks more uneven. If your extraction is ball-park & similar strength, tastes good, you probably haven't made a big change to the ratio of boulders & fines (outliers).
    Last edited by MWJB; 16-07-17 at 03:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)

This example may help explain, compare Brewista to V60...feel free to make a copy...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MWJB View Post
    Grind setting is the primary driver of extraction. Time is a guide if you have no other method of measuring extraction. For a V60 with Japanese papers +/-15 seconds will normally cover 2/3 of your brews, considering all of them then some may land +/- 45 seconds. The slower the brew drains (for the same extraction), the wider the variation in brew time, my Brewista brews can be +/-60seconds for 2/3 the brews and still as consistent in extraction as the V60. A wide deviation on time for the same deviation on extraction just makes life easier.

So time needs to be considered with respect to a given scenario/brewer/paper, rather than just to drip/brew ratio/weights. You have to build a picture with a bunch of times, comparing a time from one scenario to a time with another scenario is like taking a little snapshots, of individual trees, we want to see the whole forest :-)

If your brew is lacking in strength, then you have changed the extraction.

Coarse grinds look like they are more inconsistent as particles size goes from 0 to small for a fine grind, but still starts at 0 (to big) for a coarse grind, so wherever you have coarser particles, it visually looks more uneven. If your extraction is ball-park & similar strength, tastes good, you probably haven't made a big change to the ratio of boulders & fines (outliers).
    As ever, your advice is extremely welcome.

It was more an experiment - the drain time was similar (over 4 minutes, I'm definitely going to try to find faster papers for convenience) but the flavour was very different. Less extracted for sure.

Interesting though - good analogy re trees. It amazes me you got me a great extraction based on amateur information over the internet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morningfuel View Post
    Interesting though - good analogy re trees. It amazes me you got me a great extraction based on amateur information over the internet...
    It's probably easier to troubleshoot drip than anything else, gravity working on a given weight of water over a given weight of coffee, likely has the least deviation universally. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Scott Rao has just posted a video for his V60 recipe:

Last edited by the_partisan; 16-09-17 at 08:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Recipe from video (see end of video):
    • Rinse filter
    • Add 22g coffee
    • Add 60/70g water
    • Stir gently
    • Wait 30 seconds (around 45 seconds total time.)
    • Add 300g water
    • Stir once around the top gently
    • @1:45 Shake/Swirl V60 2-3 times
    • Drain
    • Enjoy