Niche Coffee Grinder
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Ceado E37S Owners Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Guys, I am new to the Ceado circle, and seem to be having more trouble than I anticipated with dialing in the grind output per unit of time. I have chewed my way through 750g coffee trying to get an even output, and failing. The total shot counter is around 600, so I would expect the burrs to be seasoned by now.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

The grinds are beautifully soft and fluffy – far improved over my Mazzer SJ, and the coffee in the cup tastes surprisingly different. While I am still using WDT to ensure an even pour on my bottomless PF, the Ceado has certainly improved flow through the puck.

I am grinding into a stainless steel milk jug, so spray not an issue. I have noticed that adjusting the SCC impacts grind output (if timer and grind setting are constant), so I have now left that alone. I would need to check the setting, but this is NOT set to fully closed.

Below are the results from the last two days [Grind time (s) / grind weight output (g) / grind setting on the adjustment collar (smaller number is finer grind)]. I am aiming for 14g output BTW!

Day 1:
    5.4 / 11.2 / 2.6
    6 / 15.13 / 3
    5.8 / 15.54 / 2.8

Day 2:
    5.6 / 14.37 / 2.5
    5.6 / 12.94 / 2.5
    5.6 / 13.90 / 2.5

I forgot to purge ahead of the first Day 2 grind, so that could account for some difference, but grind 2 and 3 on Day 2 should not be 1g differential with no change in grinder settings. There was c. 100g beans weight in the hopper.

Love the grinder, but I had not expected this stage to be so confusing! I will continue to record data over the next few days, but I wonder if anyone has found similar problems and has any encouraging words for me?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Default Ceado E37S Owners Thread

So the Ceado forum definitely isn't as active as the Mazzer section!

A couple of days later and I can still be wildly out at times, but feeling a bit more relaxed now I have taken SCC adjustment out of the equation. Updated figures are below (time / weight output / grind setting / SCC position on the clock face).

Day 1
    5.4 / 11.2 / 2.6
    6 / 15.13 / 3
    5.8 / 15.54 / 2.8

Day 2
    5.6 / 14.37 / 2.5 / 7
    5.6 / 12.94 / 2.5 / 7
    5.6 / 13.90 / 2.5 / 7

Day 3
    5.6 / 12.45 / 2.5 / 9
    5.6 / 15.5 / 2.5 / 9
    5.6 / 16.61 / 2.5 / 9

Day 4
    5.6 / 14.95 / 2.3 / 9
    5.6 / 14.21 / 2.2 / 9
    (5.6 / 8.09 / 2.0 / 9 new beans - choked machine)
    5.6 / 10.57 / 2.3 / 9

I grind into a metal jug, tare scares with PF, transfer 14g to the PF, WDT then tamp. I was hoping the Ceado would avoid the weighing steps in my workflow, but starting to understand that isn't likely, with me pulling just 3 double shots per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rob177palmer View Post
    I grind into a metal jug, tare scares with PF, transfer 14g to the PF, WDT then tamp. I was hoping the Ceado would avoid the weighing steps in my workflow, but starting to understand that isn't likely, with me pulling just 3 double shots per day.
    It is interesting to see the variation you are getting. I'm sure I've watched a couple of WholeLatteLove videos where the variation from the e37s was recorded as being very small - something like +/- 0.2g if memory serves. That is so far removed from what you are seeing. If you do lots of grinds one after another (without necessarily drinking them and so 'wasting coffee') does the variation reduce?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Default Ceado E37S Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZappyAd View Post
    I'm sure I've watched a couple of WholeLatteLove videos where the variation from the e37s was recorded as being very small - something like +/- 0.2g if memory serves.
    Yes - my feeling exactly. I was expecting something much closer to their figures, hence slight frustration.

I haven't yet felt flush enough to run 500g of decent beans through it to check. When it was new I was playing with some "miss-roast" beans, but the mix of roasts and bean hardness led to wild discrepancies.

I'm hoping that the more familiar I get with how to dial in, I might get good precision between the second and third shot each morning

I expect each first shot will always be wrong (purging, beans being 24-hours older than day prior), then a slight grind adjustment before the second and third doses being similar output weight, but neither delivering the 14g target dose - i.e. Precise but inaccurate dosing (adjusting the grind size will change output weight for same time dose).

In conclusion, I cannot see how this can deliver dose to dose accuracy in a 2-3 shot per day domestic setting.

Frankly I will settle for precise but inaccurate doses, but I can't yet manage that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

IMG_3162.jpgIMG_3163.jpgIMG_3164.jpgIMG_3165.jpgIMG_3166.jpg

With the followings mods I'm getting +/- 0.1 gram accuracy (see pics):

- the spring assembly for the back-pressure on the shutter completely removed

- 65 mm heat shrink tube installed over the exit chute to manage the flow of the ground coffee

- 60 mm outer / 54 mm inner diameter acrylate tube x 200 mm long installed in lieu of the hopper. Lower end tapered using a sander.

- 50 mm diameter grade 316 stainless steel ball pushes the beans into the burrs

All items available on eBay.
    Last edited by CaffeeX; 25 Minutes Ago at 06:50.
    La Pavoni Europiccola, Ceado e37s