Give It The Beans
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384

Thread: Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garydyke1 View Post
    Im already doing the right things except for proofing temps (I'm way too low but already know this) and not caramelising the crust enough.....
    I will get it right one day. That last loaf was good for the first few slices, but the middle is a bit stodgey & heavy. It makes good toast though, so not a disaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Curious if anyone here has ever had an issue with sourdough starters smelling heavily of acetone? I'm quite lazy in my feeding rituals, often forgetting it all together, so it's not rare that my starters are sitting on the counter possibly starved. I've read that the heavy acetone smell is simply underfeeding your starter, but I've also seen advise to ditch a batch which smells of acetone and start a new one as it's often a sign that the starter has developed bad bacteria and it's pretty much gone.

I'm keeping two at the moment, a rye one and a white one, the rye one can kill you with the acetone smell if you take a whiff straight after undoing the jar (I keep the lid lightly on). The white one is less potent, but still gives a strong acetone smell, both bubble up nicely when fed and double up in size within 6-8 hours (or less as it's hotter in the house now).

T.
    Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder
    Photography: Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    Curious if anyone here has ever had an issue with sourdough starters smelling heavily of acetone? I'm quite lazy in my feeding rituals, often forgetting it all together, so it's not rare that my starters are sitting on the counter possibly starved. I've read that the heavy acetone smell is simply underfeeding your starter, but I've also seen advise to ditch a batch which smells of acetone and start a new one as it's often a sign that the starter has developed bad bacteria and it's pretty much gone.

I'm keeping two at the moment, a rye one and a white one, the rye one can kill you with the acetone smell if you take a whiff straight after undoing the jar (I keep the lid lightly on). The white one is less potent, but still gives a strong acetone smell, both bubble up nicely when fed and double up in size within 6-8 hours (or less as it's hotter in the house now).

T.

The old nail polish smell ....Just keep feeding it more regularly and the yeast will come back strong . When there is enough food yeast always wins over bad bacteria .
    @garydyke1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I have at last succeeded in baking two small wholemeal loaves I'm pleased with. Here's the recipe:
    After a 1 & ½ hour rest of a roughly mixed 270g water, 60g rye, 100g wholemeal, 200g strong white & 150 spelt, add 260g of 5 hour fed starter & 10g salt. Stretch and fold for about 5 minutes, cover and do just 6 - 8 stretches every hour & a half, four times. Refrigerate 8 hours, cut into two, shape and bake in Pyrex casseroles on an oiled bed of porridge oats, 45 minutes gas 8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluebeardmcf View Post
    ......Refrigerate 8 hours, cut into two, shape and bake in Pyrex casseroles on an oiled bed of porridge oats, 45 minutes gas 8.
    Might want to think about shaping before whacking the dough in the fridge. Cutting and shaping after retardation is going to affect aeration you've worked hard to achieve with all the folds.
    Londinium I; EK43 running Turkish burrs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Today's effort. White with a small amount of rye

a grinder a lever and some beans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Ace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Malted grain.

IMG_1614.jpg

Tartine - strong white, white spelt and rye.

IMG_1615.jpg