Bella Barista
Page 143 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143
Results 1,421 to 1,423 of 1423

Thread: Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yep, that's true. I've been almost exclusively making 1000g doughs so far, but I'll try some 6-700g ones now. It is more challenging getting a 1000g dough to keep it's tension and form. One thing that helps is having a banneton with steep sides and baking the dough straight from the fridge. After 12 hours in 0-4C, the dough keeps more of it's form than if I baked it at room temp. Scoring can also have an effect on the dough. Especially if it's proofed a bit too much, it can deflate when you score it. Another factor is the time it spends in the banneton after the final shaping. If that drags out too much, it can sag a bit and flatten more when you pour it out of the banneton. I've thought about trying some loaves where the final proof is pretty short to keep more of the tension you build with S&F.

I haven't gotten it down yet. The loaves taste pretty good, but I'm not getting much lift in them. I thought the previous ones were underfermented, but after today's bread I don't know anymore. This one is 1000g and spent 6.5 hours at 24-25C from mix to fridge, where it spent 1.5-2 hours in final proofing. I think final proof was too long since it flattened out, but again not much volume before that. Maybe more of the time should be put into bulk and less final proof.

One thing I don't really get is that my dough doesn't seem to increase very much in volume during bulk. On the loaf above I tried extending the bulk, but ended up with a flat loaf. Overproofed or lack of tension and to long final proof? I keep reading suggestions for 30-50% volume increase during bulk, but on the dough I made today I hardly noticed any change in volume during bulk. I S&F-ed it every half hour for 1.5-2 hours and it was quite nice to work with and built tension, but not much volume increase. Then during shaping it kept sticking a bit to the counter and possibly lost some structure and tension there. It was only 73% (or so) hydration with 2/5 parts wholemeal, which I didn't think should be a problem.

Here's what it looked like after final shaping. It spent 1.5 hours in 24-25C.

And what it looked like when put in the fridge.

I'm interested to see tomorrow how it bakes. The banneton is 25cm long and according to various shops it is fit for a 750g dough. Either I'm mistaking how much a dough should fill the banneton, or it's missing some volume.

This is what I'm hoping to achieve: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm5hBkKFPvX/ (but in batard shape, not round).

This post by Gary is interesting, especially the shot of the dough in the banneton. I don't know if that is before or after the final proof, but maybe it doesn't matter much since it was only half an hour and I don't know if the dough puffs up that much in 30 minutes. That's a 700g dough in a banneton pretty similar to mine. Some posts further down on that page him and bronc discuss what dough fits the banneton where both mention a 750g fully proven filling the banneton. Either I'm missing something or that doesn't add up to the photo in the mentioned post.

I've also looked at Trevor J Wilson's Instagram and especially this photo. That's a 600g dough in a 9" banneton and looks to fill it pretty well. He's of course much better at dough management and building tension than me, but I thought I should be able to get volume even with lesser dough management skills.

The starter seems fine and doubles (+ some) in expected times. Now, I'm not using bread flour or something particularly strong, I use organic flours, but I'd expect that to primarily affect structure and the ability to build tension and not so much the fermentation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncornish View Post
    Going to change things up this week, as I have a day off tomorrow. Going to make my dough tomorrow and retard until Saturday morning at 0c. So I have fresh sourdough after park run

If it all goes wrong, I can stick to normal baking schedule on Saturday

When you get the hang of it you'll be able to bake on workdays as well. Well, maybe not during the summer unless you bring your starter with you to the office
    @Zephyr sounds to me like your starter might not be very strong at the moment. I had a similar issue when the weather turned cold and I didn't adjust the feeding schedule of mine. I started feeding twice a day 1:1:1 instead of 1:2:2 and in a few days it was up and running again.
    Last edited by bronc; 1 Day Ago at 07:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncornish View Post
    Sure is isn't it! I am reading up ready for this weekend. found the video to help with my shaping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww78_SfGyQE
    The difference there is incredible!

I am starting to confuse myself about where and for how long I should be proving and working with the dough. Will review the above and think hard for this weekend (drinking around the rugby does not bode well for my chances of success this weekend though!!)

Page 143 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143