PDA

View Full Version : Possible to replace the bulb in a Gaggia Classic mains switch?

The Judge
05-10-10, 07:52
I have recently obtained a Gaggia Classic that works perfectly, except for the fact that the light on the left switch does not work. I have prised the little red piece of plastic off the switch and found a little bulb inside. I'm sure I can source this from somewhere but is it actually possible to replace it? It looks fairly fiddly to fit with the switch in its assembled form and I cannot see a means of opening the thing up and taking the switches out. It is a small cosmetic issue admittedly and spending 45 for a brand new switch seems overkill but I would quite like to get it working if possible.

Does anyone perhaps know how to open the the thing or pull the switches out? Or alternatively where I can find a switch for considerably less than 45!

Glenn
05-10-10, 10:57
Youch, 45 would be extreme

2 members here sell parts for Gaggia Classics
gaggiamanualservice and leewardle both have access to pretty good home machine spares

Also, try Beandoctor as they hold stock of common Gaggia parts too

LeeWardle
07-10-10, 10:22
PM sent. The 45.00 comes into play because unfortunately you can't buy the power switch on it's own, it comes as a bank of three. I can bring that down for you though as you're a member. ;)

Lee

The Judge
08-10-10, 12:25
Cheers guys. Guess I will leave it for the moment or until I or someone else can figure out how to remove individual switches from the housing.

LeeWardle
08-10-10, 12:46
You can remove each switch individually (If I remember rightly) but you can only buy them as a three.

The Judge
08-10-10, 04:45
Oh well I'm sure I could sort out my problem if I could remove the switch. Any idea how? It's just virtually impossible to get at the bulb through the little hole where the red plastic cover usually is.

LeeWardle
09-10-10, 12:36
Make sure rhe power is not connected. Then all you need to take out the screw at the back (on the top in the black plastic surround to the fill part) and pop the top off. At the back of the switches is a metal clamp holding the switches in. Pop the clamp off and out come the switches. Be careful though as the clamp is quite bendable!

The switches should clip apart with the help of a SMALL flat bladed screwdriver. You should then be able to get to the bulb.

The Judge
09-10-10, 11:10
I already had the switches popped out of the machine but I still don't quite understand how to clip them apart unfortunately. There appears to be a metal bar running through a hole in all the switches.

gaggiamanualservice.com
11-10-10, 04:38
hi, you cant remove the sections individually, you must replace the full bank. i can supply one for 35 posted. mark

The Judge
11-10-10, 08:56
Cheers for that, Mark. Think I'll hold off for the moment though. It's just a cosmetic issue.

zbikman
22-03-12, 12:00
45 pounds that's a joke
Does anyone have a switch bank for sale?
Or know how to operate the machine without it?

MartinB
22-03-12, 11:01
Or know how to operate the machine without it?

I would not reccommend that! Seriously!

PM gaggiamanualservice.com i'm sure Mark may be able to help you out. They also pop on eBay from time-to-time.

zbikman
22-03-12, 08:01
I would not reccommend that! Seriously!

PM gaggiamanualservice.com i'm sure Mark may be able to help you out. They also pop on eBay from time-to-time.

No worries:) I wouldn't do it anyway. My switch bank cover has broken yesterday and all 3 switches popped out on the kitchen floor. I'm trying to glue it, but having problems with putting things back together now :/

What a genius designed those switches >:-/