PDA

View Full Version : Gaggis died - new m/c options

Argonaut
10-12-09, 11:01
My electric domestic Espresso machine after almost 15 years use has now died.

The machine was Gaggia Carezza, I also have a Gaggia burr grinder.

It is time to buy a new machine.

If I describe what type of coffee I drink, then I would welcome recommendations on what I should consider for a new machine.

I use machine first thing each morning and occasionally once in the evening ... I fresh grind beans and make a long double espresso and add to that roughly equal quantity of hot semi-skimmed milk ... so I guess it's a strong Latte. (or Skinny, Grande with extra shot ?)

That is it's use 90% of the time.

The machine need to be stainless or chrome finish.

I looked at Gaggia range … the Classic hits my needs at a minimum level ….. is it worth having a double boiler if I am not making cappuccinos very often ? (assuming that is their benefit)

Also is the dosing system and solenoid worth the extra ? ….. such as ‘Baby Twin’

However happy to consider other makes.

BanishInstant
11-12-09, 02:12
When I visited one of the old Gaggia UK shops they were heavily putting me of the Babys. Apparantly they were always getting them back for repair.

As for what to buy, my needs were slightly lower since a Classic was financially out of reach. Perhaps take a look at CoffeeGeek for some Consumer Reviews. I have seen some great machines in action on YouTube from "professional" demos, and I don't mean commercial machines.

Argonaut
11-12-09, 02:30
Interesting comment ... I understood from Gaggia that same boiler & pump used on all domestic machines ? .... maybe it's controls were the difference.

Any links or makes for the demos you saw which were good.

meatman
11-12-09, 04:32
Interesting comment ... I understood from Gaggia that same boiler & pump used on all domestic machines ? .... maybe it's controls were the difference.

Any links or makes for the demos you saw which were good.

pump is the same on all gaggia machines, dont be put off the baby tho, just stear away from the new range, abs, class and twin. you would get an old style one (by far the better ) on ebay for about £80. and its a solenoid model so has less dripping, your carezza has done very well to last so long.

Argonaut
11-12-09, 05:59
If I want a solenoid model, metal (no plastic) ... is the Classic The option to go for ?

Is the Dosing system and touch button electronic controls not worth the extra money ?

meatman
11-12-09, 06:34
the classic is the best gaggia manual machine by far, you could get a decent one for around £150 on ebay. but the inners are the same as baby, for looks go classic, for price go OLD baby

meatman
11-12-09, 06:37
in fact i have a classic polished about to go on ebay. lol

Argonaut
11-12-09, 07:17
my other consideration is the Rancilio Silvia
It costs about 30% more than the Classic

meatman
11-12-09, 07:58
for practicality i would go for classic,it is very reliable