PDA

View Full Version : Is this grind OK?

hoofmagnet
28-02-14, 12:01
Hi

I've not long had the Iberital MC2 grinder but I'm noticing, what I believe to be, imperfections in the grind. These can be seen in the pic and are very thin light brown flecks which break down if you rub them between your fingers. They do occur consistently. The supplier has said it looks normal but I don't know any different. Is this something I should be returning the machine for?

Many thanks

Mrboots2u
28-02-14, 12:08
Photos don't really tell you a lot at that spec
weigh a dose
weight the output
time it
taste it
come back and let us know......

aaronb
28-02-14, 12:19
It could be a bit of chaff, which is a waste product at roasting. You'd see it in the beans as small bits of thin light brown that is almost paper like.

Mrboots2u
28-02-14, 12:21
It could be a bit of chaff, which is a waste product at roasting. You'd see it in the beans as small bits of thin light brown that is almost paper like.

Plus one on that ....

hoofmagnet
28-02-14, 02:03
That was it. I can see the same thing attached to some of the beans. Would this be true of all beans or just cheaper ones?

aaronb
28-02-14, 04:04
it depends on the beans and roast profile, it's by no means just cheaper beans though.

A bit in your coffee isn't really a problem. Open the top of the bag and give it a good shake, the chaff will probably sink to the bottom. For the last 30g or so if there is loads of chaff you might want to pour the beans out and separate them, which is easier than it sounds.