PDA

View Full Version : How long did you lurk before joining?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Glenn
07-02-14, 11:38
It's always great to see new members introduce themselves and mention they have been lurking for a while before joining.

How long did you lurk before joining?

Comments welcomed below as well.
Is there anything we could have done to get you posting earlier?

kikapu
08-02-14, 01:43
I think it took maybe a few weeks for me to join when looking for info on brewed coffee I signed up think I made 1 or 2 posts then nothing for almost a year till I wanted to get into espresso at that point I thought I needed to get more involved as I had so many more questions and was too difficult to sift through all the information on here! !!

Anyway glad I finally became an active member.

Lastly I dont think there is anything other than being really interested in coffee and needing help that could have got me to become an active member.

Michael the bowler
08-02-14, 02:22
I lurked for a short while, before deciding to join. I thought when I wanted to participate was the best time to join!
Admitted I am not a prolific poster, but watch daily and post when I think I have something to contribute.

GS11
08-02-14, 10:18
Signed up straight away as needed specific advice... Have been lurking ever since :)

AliC
08-02-14, 10:41
I think I dipped in and out for a week or two before signing up. Still can't remember how I came across the Forum, but it was through researching for a coffee machine on the old interweb.

However the more I found that I didn't know, the more the Forum became an invaluable source of knowledge and experience. I'm still in the process of getting more out than I put in, but you should all be fiercely proud of the excellent community you have built together.

DavidBondy
08-02-14, 10:41
I'm the same. Found and signed up. I'd also been a member of the TMC forum and later joined H-B.

David

urbanbumpkin
08-02-14, 10:42
I signed up straight away too as I was after a non pressurised basket for a Gaggia Cubika.

Thankfully I was given the advice to swap it for a Gaggia Classic and have never looked back since.

44Whitehall
08-02-14, 11:14
I lurked for a while before joining. I browsed a number of forums and other resources as I explored my options for a home espresso set-up and I liked this one. I am a member of a few traditional wet shaving forums and from the experience of them realize the value of a friendly and supportive forum, as not all are equal. I hope the lurking has helped to find the right place to land.

As an aside - lurking on this forum is a remarkable journey of learning. A wonderful place, and my wife may live to regret my discovery (though for all I know she's lurking in the tea section as I type!).

Glenn
08-02-14, 11:26
We have quite a strong link with members of wet shaving forums.

It seems the nature of the 2 hobbies is similar. There is a process, a decent set of equipment and variations of experience and equipment can yield differing results. Thank you for posting your experience.

working dog
08-02-14, 02:55
I googled coffee forums and signed straight up. No point in hanging about

CoffeeJohnny
08-02-14, 03:18
Straight on for me, my eyes were opened not long previously to how awesome coffee is and I had a ravenous appetite to learn more ever since.

Dave.wilton
08-02-14, 03:42

I don't think lurking is a bad thing, it normally means people are getting to know the forum, researching and trying not to ask noob questions.

However, one thing for me that would help sign up earlier is single sign on using FB, google or twitter. Not that I want to add to the technical work load! Bit I'm always loathed to sign up to something new until I'm really sure I want to use it because it's another password, another username and an added security risk to my details. Single sign on offloads this responsibility to google/others

drude
08-02-14, 03:50
I signed up pretty quickly - was doing a few google searches for new kit and kept getting sent here, so joined to ask grinder questions.

Re Dave Wilton's point about single sign-on, I'm disinclined to use FB logins elsewhere - the site you sign in to gets a lot of info (http://screenagers.me/2014/01/27/heres-what-a-brand-knows-when-you-login-via-facebook/) about you and your FB friends that way.

CoffeeJohnny
08-02-14, 04:02
However, one thing for me that would help sign up earlier is single sign on using FB, google or twitter.

Now I don't like the idea of cross platform logins that would lead me to be distrustful

Geordie Boy
08-02-14, 05:33
I used it as a resource initially and then joined when I felt I could contribute.

I agree with the other comments about cross platform logins, frankly I don't trust Facebook, it's just a big data collection company

andyt23
08-02-14, 08:27
Found the forum by google search and I lurked for a couple of days to try and find out how to get the most of my old moka pot that I'd dug out to use on my work at home day (thursday).

It wasn't long before I noticed how friendly everyone was, and how strongly recommended a Gaggia Classic was as a starter, and so by the end of the week I was tempted into signing up to be a part of it. Sure enough, it wasn't long before I took delivery of my Classic and I've been asking noob questions ever since.

Oh, and I don't like Facebook either. It has it's uses, but that's me using it, not it using me.

Goblinsgrind
10-02-14, 11:54
Well over six months; wanted to follow some user opinions on machines before upgrading, expensive business, ironically I thought I'd get all my set up as I wanted before joining so it would appear that I had something worthwhile to contribute, not worked according to plan, still making crap espresso with an sbdu, hopefully I will make a decision before I either a. Go mad b. Lose my job c. Get divorced e. The hat trick!!

ShortShots
27-02-14, 04:40
About 4 months, didnt want to post about work, so I waited until I had my home espresso setup. I was quite happy to lurk until then :p

Jonathan007
01-03-14, 08:33
Pretty much straight away for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

DavidBondy
01-03-14, 09:03
Pretty much straight away
Me too, although it was a while ago and my contributions (if such they can be called!) were minimal to start with.

Daren
01-03-14, 11:08
Me too, although it was a while ago and my contributions (if such they can be called!) were minimal to start with.

Same as me. I started by posting the occasional sensible post before slowly ramping up my posts to the rubbish and micky taking I now spout on about. :p

Mouse
03-03-14, 11:17

It seems the nature of the 2 hobbies is similar. There is a process, a decent set of equipment and variations of experience and equipment can yield differing results. Thank you for posting your experience.

I've lurked for a few weeks.. Before recently jumping in.

You mention wet shaving Glenn - Is their a similar link with HiFi equipment and forum members?

Similar situation.. Continually looking to upgrade.. Never being 100% happy with your set up.. Always wondering whether that slightly more expensive piece of kit will make all the difference.. Trying to eek out that extra bit of quality etc

Thecatlinux
10-03-14, 09:22
Hello, been reading the forums for a couple of weeks , just signed up as I seem to be coming here more often. Totally new to the world of coffee, My friend managed to give a 'god shot' and now totally hooked. Broken boiler on my x1 so trying to get started with a fairly decent machine,

Zantonsus
10-03-14, 11:01
Only a few minutes :) Great Forum i might add, tis a pleasure to be here x

p6r
29-03-14, 04:35
I've been lurking for 6 months on and off. Wasn't sure I'd ever get round to doing it but now have the money to one side and jumped in!

Tiny
08-04-14, 01:34
About 4 or 5 days, browsed about looks a good forum, plenty knowledge and banter

Flibster
08-04-14, 02:56
Lurked for a couple of days before joining.
Then lurked for a couple of years before posting.... :D

welshrarebit
17-04-14, 04:57
I lurked for around 3 weeks, seems the more I read the more confusing it gets :).

pcpogo
27-04-14, 07:16
Been lurking for several weeks now. Signed up, but the mire I read the more confused I get.

Loving it though.

VJC
29-04-14, 09:25
Been lurking for several weeks now. Signed up, but the mire I read the more confused I get.

Loving it though.
Same here - I lurked a few weeks, realised I'd never made an actual good cup of coffee in my life compared to the people here and so joined to start asking questions that I couldn't find answers to using the search function.

Hemmingford
02-05-14, 10:36
I lurked for around 2 years+ always finding the info I needed so signed up didn't seem to be a priority :)

rws
08-05-14, 12:30
I joined yesterday as I have some questions that I reckon some of the forum members might have a view on, but prior to that I spent probably 2 - 3 weeks 'researching' - i.e. lurking.

migsterr
09-05-14, 08:25
I lurked around for about a week I reckon before joining only a couple of weeks ago - im all new to the coffee scene! I did join another coffee forum before finding this one but it was American and it was a bit poo - I live close to bella barista and I was told of this forum from them....(nice lady very helpful and I gather most of you lot regard the shop as one of the better ones by what ive read on here)..she was showing me a new lever machine and talking about sending it out to a few ppl to test it out. so I looked on here ( the sales section first I have to admit!) and been coming back ever since! its like a good coffee shop....if you like the product and the atmosphere you find yourself wanting to go back! ;)

by the way this is my first post on here too! hi all im mick!

coffeechap
09-05-14, 08:27
hi welcome mick, i have the said lever machine on my bench evaluating it! I started a thread on it so if you have any questions please fire away on that thread.

Ralphus84
09-05-14, 10:59
I am very much a newbie, and after 2 days of "lurking" when I should have been working signed up. Explored similiar forums but CF UK wins hands down!

centaursailing
11-05-14, 03:21
I lurked 'as a silent member' for about 2 years. Reason for 'coming live' is simple: I want a new grinder and Claudette at Bella Barista sparked my interest in the Eureka Zenith 65E which members here are discussing.

James811
11-05-14, 04:15
About 16 seconds after finding the forum

KylePollards
19-05-14, 09:59
I lurked for a few weeks before signing up! Was finding some really useful information on here in terms of personal opinions and things that have helped me with my new job in the coffee biz... In terms of what you could of done to make me sign up earlier I guess would of been limiting how much I could read, but then again being able to do that is why I have now joined :).

K

Morgan
20-05-14, 12:36
I lurked briefly (only really for a couple of days) before joining up - I've joined simply because so many of the people on here seem to have great knowledge. I'm fortunate to have a good relationship with my local coffee shop owner, and he's taught me a lot: but (as is apparent from the range of opinions on here) one person's experience may differ from anothers!

nackyy20
21-05-14, 09:08
hello everyone

simontc
21-05-14, 04:45
I've been 'lurking' for quite a bit- have been using a delonghi ec330 which has just packed in and fancy upgrading to the Gaggia classic; hence I've registered to take part in the wonderful for sale section!

amirharris
25-05-14, 10:12
Waited for about 5 months before signing up. God knows what took me so long. Looking forward to read and hopefully share my experience.

bedra
04-06-14, 09:54
thank you

Buckley
04-06-14, 12:01
About 5 minutes.

Hoffmonkey
04-06-14, 11:07
Signed straight up, only posted first message today. I've got a lot of catching up to do - so much to learn!

PoweredByCoffee
05-06-14, 01:26
I joined quite quick. I'll usually lurk for a while, but I thought I'd just do it.

Willie Ekaslike
05-06-14, 06:05
Joined straight away but apart from an introduction post I only lurked for a week or so gathering information.

Jonno
05-06-14, 06:43
About 2 weeks before signing up and that was a long time ago, it has taken me this long to make my 1st post.

frandavi99
08-06-14, 09:01
Passed by months ago, but 5 minutes of lurking this time around and I'm here. Why wait!?

Ferdy
12-06-14, 03:28
Been lurking for a while on Tapatalk, thought it was time to take the plunge!

jonchard
13-06-14, 10:32
Hi all, i have lurked for a short time gleening as much info as possible to attempt to create decent espresso. I have learned the hard way by buying bad grinders, then buying slightly better grinder, then modding and realising perfect espresso cannot be achieved with cheap gear - although a fairly nice milk drink can! I had a cheap D'Longhi, quickly replaced with Gaggia Classic and saw a great jump in quality. Then bought into 58.35mm tampers, VST 14g basket, Naked Portafilter (Yeah, that's a laugh as a newbie) and a Rossi RR45 grinder. Now i make something close to Espresso, Its still sour/bitter but i'm loving the journey and loving the routine.

My greatest realisation was creating dishwater from a non-pressurised filter basket - the realisation being that shop ground coffee simply isn't fine enough.

Most importantly, i'm having fun and look forward to refining my processes by talking with you all.

Mrboots2u
13-06-14, 10:37
Hi all, i have lurked for a short time gleening as much info as possible to attempt to create decent espresso. I have learned the hard way by buying bad grinders, then buying slightly better grinder, then modding and realising perfect espresso cannot be achieved with cheap gear - although a fairly nice milk drink can! I had a cheap D'Longhi, quickly replaced with Gaggia Classic and saw a great jump in quality. Then bought into 58.35mm tampers, VST 14g basket, Naked Portafilter (Yeah, that's a laugh as a newbie) and a Rossi RR45 grinder. Now i make something close to Espresso, Its still sour/bitter but i'm loving the journey and loving the routine. \

Hello there
May be worth positing up a quick thread in the introductions thread too, as your
your first post may get lost in here
Decent coffee kit there too.
Glad to have you on board

Some useful kit there too..

My greatest realisation was creating dishwater from a non-pressurised filter basket - the realisation being that shop ground coffee simply isn't fine enough.

Most importantly, i'm having fun and look forward to refining my processes by talking with you all.

Hello there
May be worth positing up a quick thread in the introductions thread too, as your
your first post may get lost in here
Decent coffee kit there too.
Glad to have you on board

jonchard
13-06-14, 11:18
Thanks for the advice.

colinb4987
20-06-14, 11:49
I've actually lurked for about 2 years before joining! Initially I was looking at buying a machine that would do me for a long time, and had settled on a Fracino Cherub or Piccolo (I forget which now!) based on reading discussions on here, with a Eureka Mignon to grind. I got the grinder, then, before I bought the machine, circumstances changed leaving me with considerably less cash... so back to French Press it was.

Then in the past month or so I decided to get back in the game, so joined here and quite quickly managed to bag a modded Gaggia Classic (Thanks Malinski) - but am right at the foot of the learning curve. Lots of questions to follow methinks!

RazorliteX
24-06-14, 11:02
I'm still semi lurking - only posted twice I think. (doh - make that three)

Pyro
28-06-14, 10:54
Too bleeding long, I wasn't a daily lurker but whenever I needed advice or wanted to know something particular I always ended up back here!

I've probably on/off lurked for a year!

coffeechap
28-06-14, 10:55
I'm still semi lurking - only posted twice I think. (doh - make that three)

or ten as per your post count!!!

coffeechap
28-06-14, 10:58
Too bleeding long, I wasn't a daily lurker but whenever I needed advice or wanted to know something particular I always ended up back here!

I've probably on/off lurked for a year!

Glad that you found the stuff here informative, I love this forum for the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm on it, plus having browsed many of the other forums they just seem so inactive!!

RazorliteX
28-06-14, 10:59
or ten as per your post count!!!

Yeah I always cringe when I look back on these types of posts haha ;)

Glenn
28-06-14, 11:06
No matter how many posts a member has I always have to pinch myself to see that we have another follower.

When I started the forum back in 2008 I didn't think we would have as many active members in 2014.

coffeechap
28-06-14, 11:16
Yeah I always cringe when I look back on these types of posts haha ;)

stop it or before you know it you will be at 50!

Hoffmonkey
28-06-14, 11:16

There are shaving forums?!

Pyro
28-06-14, 11:32
Glad that you found the stuff here informative, I love this forum for the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm on it, plus having browsed many of the other forums they just seem so inactive!! Thats exactly why I joined this forum a lot of coffee forums seem quite dead whereas this one is quite active, still considering the massive coffee culture gaining momentum in the UK I'm supprised how quiet it is!

There's a couple of really busy forums out there but generally lacking in people from the UK, I'll be sure to visit them when looking on advice on where to visit in their respective native countries :D

coffeechap
28-06-14, 11:34
There are shaving forums?!

you are kidding right? there are forums for just about anything man

Hoffmonkey
28-06-14, 11:42
you are kidding right? there are forums for just about anything man
Well I suppose so, but I'm still somewhat surprised!

coffeechap
28-06-14, 11:44
Well I suppose so, but I'm still somewhat surprised!

dont get into shaving, it will rob you of even more money, there is a shaving sub club on here....

Pyro
28-06-14, 11:48
dont get into shaving, it will rob you of even more money, there is a shaving sub club on here....

I get angry when I cock up a coffee, I couldn't deal with having to wait another week or two waiting for my beard to grow back just to try perfect the method, I'd go mad!

Hoffmonkey
28-06-14, 11:55
I really think I'd be hard pushed to be persuaded to spend money on shaving equipment. I shave about once a week when the itching starts and my kids start telling me I've gone past spikey!

Gillette Blue II and cheap ass Asda Shave Gel suit me... I'm such a Heathen!

coffeechap
28-06-14, 11:59

No you are wise Hoffmonkey, save the money for shiney coffee things

Neill
29-06-14, 12:01
I really think I'd be hard pushed to be persuaded to spend money on shaving equipment. I shave about once a week when the itching starts and my kids start telling me I've gone past spikey!

Don't do it, don't look at the shaving thread. I wouldn't have thought of it till this bunch of enablers brought it up. DE shaving, a whole new skill to learn. It's good fun.

coffeechap
29-06-14, 12:06
Don't do it, don't look at the shaving thread. I wouldn't have thought of it till this bunch of enablers brought it up. DE shaving, a whole new skill to learn. It's good fun.

and is just the best shave ever, ikon slant rules !!!

DavidBondy
29-06-14, 12:12
and is just the best shave ever, ikon slant rules !!!

Doesn't it just!!!!

Charliej
29-06-14, 02:08
Doesn't it just!!!!

I like my iKon OSS suits my needs and none of the other razors have got a look in since that came through the door David.

coffeechap
29-06-14, 02:17
up late as ever charlie

Charliej
29-06-14, 02:39
Well woke up to find myself on the couch about 30 minutes ago, this infection and the antibiotics, plus having to sleep in an odd position is playing hell with my sleep patterns.

Drewster
29-06-14, 09:38
stop it or before you know it you will be at 50!

Or maybe 6800++

ryancarey
15-07-14, 12:20
I'm pretty new here! I was actually on the hunt for a second hand espresso machine, and came across the classified listings, and then browsed the forum for a few days. Everyone seemed very helpful and friendly so signed up asap :)

majnu
17-07-14, 02:58
Probably around a year

poolfan
25-07-14, 07:49
probably about 3-4 weeks. Was reading up on coffee machines and kept coming across this forum, so difficult to ignore :)

BenjaminPiper
26-07-14, 01:51
About two weeks I think. I've been wondering if there was a genuine alternative to the Silvia at a similar price point and having failed to really uncover a solution by myself I've finally decided to ask.

tonyf
10-08-14, 03:50
been lurking ages

monkey66
11-08-14, 09:05
About 2 years on and off.

sub7
13-08-14, 02:47
long time viewing about time I got posting :coffee:

SteveBristol
17-08-14, 08:17
Spent a few weeks (2-3) before joining, found lots of answers to questions, but this has led to more questions

dustbuddy
18-08-14, 10:54
I have lurked here for a while over the course of a few phases. However, finally committed to the process of joining!

AlexCosta
20-08-14, 01:58
a couple of hours - the forum is great with a lot of good information

extrashot
20-08-14, 06:16
I didn't jumped right in, I'll see how the water is right now....

jsdp01
30-08-14, 11:20
Great article, very informative, thanks.

Neill
30-08-14, 12:24
Great article, very informative, thanks.

This really isn't an article???

ElSteverino
02-09-14, 05:06
I've been lurking for around 4 months, the advice and knowledge on this forum has been invaluable prior to buying my first espresso machine.

Zenistar
04-09-14, 10:22
Off and on for nearly a year.

chrisd2684
04-09-14, 12:18
Wooo, can't wait to get brewing some proper quality coffee in the comfort of my own home.

Stevo
05-09-14, 12:44
Hi total newbie here,

Not just new to this forum but new to forums full stop.

started looking for an espresso machine yesterday and had the whole world of coffee opened up to me basically by this forum. Saved me from buying a poor machine and I am now excited about all of the possibilities that doing my own espresso brings with it.

From all the reading I've done looking at a second hand classic with silva wand + decent grinder etc. All up around 250 - 300 max.

Stevo
05-09-14, 11:18
1 day in total.

Drewster
06-09-14, 10:31
1 day in total.

Hello and welcome....... to the madhouse!!!! :-)

swooshy
07-09-14, 02:11
a few days :)

prankard
08-09-14, 06:56
About a month, popped my 1st post cherry now though :). Good to see a UK based forum (I used to lurk at home-barista).

Jason T
10-09-14, 11:48
I spent an hour or two looking through the forum, decided it was full on info so decided to sign right up.

roaringboy
12-09-14, 11:35
Long time lurker - 1st time poster!

prankard
12-09-14, 01:45
Long time lurker - 1st time poster!

Well done for finally posting :)

Perhaps if you're already set up with a coffee machine (being a long time lurker).
Consider posting in the show off your machine section (http://coffeeforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?20-Show-Off-Your-Setup)

And welcome

roaringboy
12-09-14, 02:34
Well done for finally posting :)

Perhaps if you're already set up with a coffee machine (being a long time lurker).
Consider posting in the show off your machine section (http://coffeeforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?20-Show-Off-Your-Setup)

And welcome

Thank you!

I am but I don't have any pics of my set-up. Only pics I have are of my poor attempts at lattee art (see avatar for my best effort!).

I have a Gaggia Classic with silvia v2 steam wand and OPV mod to 9bar. Using a non-pressurised PF and basket but not sure of their origin as they came with the machine secondhand. Could be the originals but I had a feeling it came with a pressurised set-up? Will be replaced with a bottomless soon enough anyway.
Grinder is an Ascaso i-mini.

neil.72
14-09-14, 08:25
Joined up today as needing a cure for my upgradeitus. Will be lurking around the for sale forum for the foreseeable future. I've read numerous threads on this site and others slowly gaining experience and answers to my questions.

I didn't join earlier as all the things I wanted to know were typical newbie stuff that has been asked about millions of times by millions of people, so I could get what I needed just trawling through forums without joining. My thought was that as a long standing member of a forum it must get tedious answering the same basic newbie questions to lots of people when the answers are all ready out there if you can be bothered to look. Now I need something specific though I'm happy to sign up.

Mrboots2u
14-09-14, 08:30
Welcome Neil
Start up a thread with what your looking for in a new machine and we will help you spend some money

Aficianado
16-09-14, 12:08
Less than two minutes in all honesty.

paul whu
25-09-14, 06:11
Lurked for a while! need some new bits and bobs and there's plenty of baristocracy on here. Only had my first espresso machine for a month or so.
Loads to learn.

DeanoDN
25-09-14, 10:50
Joined pretty much straight away. I own a forum myself and know how frustrating it can be when guests don't take the plunge.

peterpan
25-09-14, 11:02
Same as DeanoDN, joined straight away. I was pleasantly surprised to find such an active forum located in EU and felt obliged to join.

jecks888
03-10-14, 01:45
Maybe a few days from me - lurked for longer on the US fora but when I saw this one I joined pretty swiftly!

katarzynakibisz
04-10-14, 07:14
I googled coffee forums and founded .
I m a big fan of Coffee .
Hellow to Everyone

Step21
04-10-14, 10:06
I lurked for 10 days or so. I signed up to say thanks for the resource that i'd taken advantage of and hope to keep on doing in future. It also seems a really friendly forum where newbies are not automatically sent to the search function and experienced posters are happy to answer the same types of questions with a patient and welcoming manner.
At this stage i can't add much to coffee knowledge but hopefully by hanging around that situation may change...

knightsfield
04-10-14, 10:18
I've been lurking a while now. Got into brewed coffee and was looking for recommended decaf coffee beans and found this forum

grumpydaddy
26-10-14, 12:37
:( There was no option: Less than a day.

A few hours of reading the replies to any number of questions and it became clear that this site is populated by helpful sorts who seem happy to pass on their knowledge. That it is also vibrant with lots of posts and interest helps too.

The good manners and technically/logically biased replies kind of sealed it for me leaving me with the feeling that I don't need any other site even as a complete newb.

mgdenison
03-11-14, 10:38
Hi.
was searching for good tips and tricks on google and found the forum.
been a pump espresso owner for 5 weeks.
"ADDICT"

tr6greig
04-11-14, 02:14
I joined within minutes,it was obvious from the detailed layout and the current traffic that this was the place to be.

Cameron

JohnPrime
07-11-14, 05:23
^^^ WHS, pretty much.
At most, a day. Good traffic. good archive of threads, welcoming to newbs, knobhead count well below the mean :good:

joe
13-11-14, 10:40
I was led here by a coffee addiction and Google y'honour...it wasn't my fault.

PWW
13-11-14, 04:02
2 weeks of reading posts on reviews / faults as looking to upgrade (now my head hurts)

dfrankhuizen
16-11-14, 01:37
Delete post

Rawk
19-11-14, 08:32
A few days - but most of that was waiting for the activation email to turn up :O

jamiemoyer22
01-12-14, 02:39
I signed up straight away because I know I belong to this group and I think I can contribute something in this forum.:angel:

Firochromis
01-12-14, 04:41
Another "straight away" situation here. :)

madaetihw
01-12-14, 09:29
As above i signed up straight away.

colm1989
01-12-14, 03:33
I signed up straight away, but lurked for a day or two until my membership was approved

themark01
05-12-14, 05:51
A conformation request was required

silk186
05-12-14, 08:59
why lurk, I joined to ask a question.

Coffee Dog
06-12-14, 07:28
About 3weeks - researching! :D

tarpon
19-12-14, 11:24
I joined immediately after finding something in the classifieds I was after. Nevertheless, I know I will be visiting often to conduct research, learn and hone my skills!

tictok
19-12-14, 02:10
Probably the opposite way around to some....

Joined in straight away and participated for a few months and then lurked for a few months and now back again

A cycle I suspect will be repeated many times.

Rapha
19-12-14, 02:24
I think I lurked for around 3 to 4 weeks, before joining and then getting my Gaggia Classic.

Wilko
20-12-14, 01:17
Over 6 months! But I moved house between and was waiting for funds before joining and buying my machine

icnoble
20-12-14, 01:47
It took me a couple os days of lurking before I joined

Jonhul
25-12-14, 02:24
i was lurking for less than a week. still haven't bought anything but the gaggia classic is looking my best option. but cant decide on or source a decent grinder. specifically the mignon

chandlercoffee
28-12-14, 09:13
Been lurking for a couple of weeks,but felt bit of an imposter due to owning a bean to cup machine.

alanm
31-12-14, 10:57
Been Lurking or should i say reading for just under a week

andrewp
01-01-15, 06:05
Few days then a few weeks before my first post - which is this one hopefully (another post elsewhere was supposed to be OK'd by an admin but never was).

Glenn
01-01-15, 06:08
Found it and approved. As there was a link (legitimate I might add) in your first post it was sent to moderation queue.

crlbt
01-01-15, 06:16
Couple of hours. Found about this forum on reddit.

jj_glos
01-01-15, 08:20
I did see the thread on carrying out the Gaggia Classic OPV mod before Christmas from a Google search, it was only after Christmas when I had more time that I actually got around to registering though :)

Sooty
07-01-15, 12:45
Been lurking for a week or so - a ton of great info to read through. I'm just about to get started with my 1st espresso machine (waiting for delivery of a s/h Gaggia Classic - due today!).

burningb
09-01-15, 05:19
I lurk everywhere if it means getting closer to the perfect cup :)

monotypical
11-01-15, 03:00
about 15 minutes :p

scoffee
11-01-15, 05:02
Lurked for just a few days before taking the plunge. Having just started to get a bit more serious about my coffee, this forum has been amazingly useful.

AussieExpat
11-01-15, 05:19
I signed up and then lurked for a while...

Glenn
11-01-15, 05:20
Not always a bad approach AussieExpat
Listeners gain more quickly and can then jump in with relevant questions

AussieExpat
11-01-15, 05:23
Setting up an account lets you keep track of what you've already read, subscribe to threads etc. So useful for the lurker.

Chockymonster
13-01-15, 09:35
signed up straight away but lurked!

davemellis
14-01-15, 10:21
I've been lurking for a while and have just joined. I came looking for a replacement for my krups espresso machine and now quite like the idea of a lever machine and new grinder.

peterj
17-01-15, 02:15
About six months.

Mr O
17-01-15, 05:38
A few minutes :o

GCGlasgow
17-01-15, 05:57
I lurked for about two weeks, was a bit overwhelmed by all the information but slowly getting into it.

Grimley
18-01-15, 08:19
Couple of Months.

Jumbo Ratty
22-01-15, 01:26
I joined straight away as i wanted to make an inquiry to an existing member after a google search into getting my broken Francis Francis X1 repaired led me to this forum.

I have really enjoyed reading some of the threads on here so far and am trying to absorb the wealth of information there is on offer.

tombunton
23-01-15, 03:40
Joined after lurking for only a couple of hours. Was researching my first espresso machine, came across the Gaggia Classic, read a bit here and there across the net, watched some video and ultimately ended up here! Have enjoyed reading everyones experiences, from the wise to the new. Learnt a lot, and am especially enjoying the mods that can be done to Gaggia Classics' - loving the enthusiasm!

JoeFromWales
26-01-15, 12:51
It was less than a week, but I'll probably carry on lurking for a while now I'm a member as there is so much to read and digest before I'll even know what I want to know more about.

Deejaysuave
27-01-15, 12:36
2 months!

JoshMitton
29-01-15, 09:44
Was only lurking for a few days if im honest. I decided to join when when i needed some advice, been checking every day since and reading up on all sorts of helpfull stuff

ppara
01-02-15, 11:12
have been thinking and researching espresso machines so much good info

shatners bassoon
01-02-15, 04:50
Couple of months - started viewing threads for ideas/recommendations, doesn't take long to get sucked in!

hotmetal
01-02-15, 06:47
doesn't take long to get sucked in!

Boy ain't that the truth! I lurked for about a week, broke the seal by asking for advice, and have spent untold time and money on all things coffee since then. Having thought that a modded Classic and MC2 would be all I would ever wish for I'm now well in at the deep end after probably a year! The more time you spend on here, the lighter your wallet will become if you aren't careful!

DoubleShot
03-02-15, 10:58
The more time you spend on here, the lighter your wallet will become if you aren't careful!

To quote what a wise man once said..."Boy ain't that the truth!"

Shropshire Lad
05-02-15, 01:48
It's always great to see new members introduce themselves and mention they have been lurking for a while before joining.

I lurked for two days.

I'm looking for an alternative to £4 per day for high street brand take away coffee for my wife. A friend has a De'Longhi 4200 and gets great results by his standards. I thought this would be fine until I read some of the posts here which are unanimously pro espresso and con bean to cup. I really enjoy coffee but the key factor is the 6:00 am test - can I make a latte in a reasonable time when we're both wishing we were still asleep. Will we really see the difference between an espresso machine and btc? Can we both learn to make consistently good coffee?

DoubleShot
05-02-15, 01:51
Shropshire Lad

Before someone else says it...

Espresso not expresso

Whilst a good espresso machine and grinder will no doubt be able to put most B2C machines to shame in what they can produce, until you practise and get really good, it's unlikely you'll be able to produce a Latte quite as quick so if that's a deal breaker for your 6am cuppa it's worth bearing in mind. However, if you also drink coffee later in the day when you can afford more time, then the joys that lay ahead of you...well worth it!

AussieExpat
05-02-15, 11:31
The thought of a B2C wouldn't be sufficient motivation for me to get up at 6am ;)

DoubleShot
05-02-15, 12:14
Good one! [emoji16]

GaryTheHat
12-02-15, 06:53
I lurked for less than a day...

Espressopatronum
13-02-15, 12:18
My favourite is Nicaragua Las Minas from the peralta family. Very very yummy

KkAaNnEe
16-02-15, 02:57
Signed up straight away - I had questions!

M4xime
17-02-15, 01:09
Took me a couple of weeks to finally register and start posting

jachandler
17-02-15, 11:05
Signed up straight away, although this is my first post as I'm ready to get involved now!

Mister_Tad
19-02-15, 07:28
Finally signed up - I purchased a Gaggia Classic in 2008 and started dipping in and out of a few forums shortly thereafter.

Is there prize for longest lurker?

A1istair
23-02-15, 12:17
Few weeks of dropping in and out of the forum.
I've been pondering my first machine (currently use a French press) and a grinder.
Have just had my hand forced as I've accidentally received un-ground beans and so Sage pro grinder on its way!
Just have to explain to my wife that spending £200 is much better than wasting £8

Elijak
23-02-15, 02:56
A few days of lurking and researching, having a new kitchen built and wanted an espresso machine to be apart of that, so gone for a modest Rancilio Silva, Eureka Mignon grinder and a few accessories. I'm in no way a coffee buff or connoisseur but do enjoy a coffee so I'm looking forward to learning and developing a new found love and taste for coffee in our new kitchen.

littleal
01-03-15, 01:13
Hi all
I have been lurking around for about 2-3 months reading and learning. Then decided to peruse the Bella Barista site and made a purchase, well in fact I have made a couple of them lol. I will put more of that in the introductions forum though.

litteal

alip_93
02-03-15, 10:31
The information available here was too good that I had to get involved in the conversation right away! Never have I met so many like minded coffee geeks!

plorley_coffee
08-03-15, 07:36
Been lurking in and out of some very helpful posts over the past 6 months or so - finally took the plunge!

groo
08-03-15, 08:09
I've dipped in over the past year or so, mainly because a friend purchased a decent machine and piqued my interest. Finally joined up as now thinking about purchase and can see the benefit of using the forum to facilitate this

Harbey
08-03-15, 09:29
Been reading for the last month or so whilst gathering info' to make a purchase. I now have a Gaggia Classic bought on Gumtree for £100. Only got a Krups grinder at the moment but saving up. I've replaced the steam wand on the Gaggia and have a new basket ordered all thanks to advice on here. Asked a couple of questions this evening and already got replies - thanks everyone.

simont
09-03-15, 07:36
Lurked for a couple of weeks. Bought a used Gaggia Classic and then signed up. Lots of interesting content on here. Never done the domestic espresso thing before as I used to get my coffee fix at work. 2 group La Spaz and a sturdy old Mazzer kept me pepped up dawn till dusk for 15 years. Just about to stump for an entry level grinder (Iberital MC2) and a new group head seal. Local shop gave me a 100g of their house grind and the Gaggia produced a reasonable first attempt.
Onwards..

scoops
09-03-15, 08:15
I joined straight away but have lurked ever since. Dropped by every now and again, most of my questions have already been asked and answered so my post count is few but very appreciative of the wealth of info on this site.

Robert McLean
10-03-15, 06:52
I am a member of a walking forum, which made me look at the kit I had and then spend a fortune on kit I didn't realise I needed but then 'had to have'
I am a longstanding member on a cleaning forum - this one changed my business from a local to a national servicer provider, made me spend a fortune and still makes me spend a fortune that I never seem to have the money for.
I am now a member on here. I had only just started looking at getting really into coffee just before I joined. This made me look at my bog standard coffee set up and then spend more money but I believe through reading the back posts I could look at the machines that people were using, googling, comparing and then seeing what was on ebay I bought even more kit that I didn't realise 'I had to have' and it was something in a post where someone had mentioned Gumtree, I never really ever go on there that got me my latest machine.

My experience of forums is that they are a massive information pot and probably all you will ever want to know has already been posted but they make you spend money on things that you didn't realise you ' had to have'

I'm working away this week and left home on Sunday morning. I kissed my wife goodbye, told her I love her, walked through the garage, looked at my latest coffee machine, cracked a massive smile as I thought of the pleasure it is going to bring me in the future and when I came back out smiling my wife was scowling and said 'you don't love me anymore, I hate that coffee machine'

'Of course I love you dear but the coffee machine won't give me anywhere as much grief as you give me' should not have been the last thing I said to her as I left still smiling.

So to summarise, forums make you spend money. This forum has 'made' me spend money I 'didn't' want to spend, is going to 'make' me spend even more money, has made me stretch my vocal chords on a 'heated debate' with my lovely wife as to whether the machine could even get through the front door and that's only after one week of being a member.

Thank you coffee forums - it may be a 'rocky' but enjoyable journey but I lurked for a very short time before I jumped in with both feet and I am so glad I did.

I think I need to change my wife now for a quieter model but that could make me spend money....................................... :)

Rob

Dark Side
12-03-15, 10:44
I followed a link from the singletrackworld.com forum, I lurked for a while before realising how immersive the world of coffee is.

Colio07
13-03-15, 10:23
Found the site about a year ago. Lurked/actively checked the site for about 3 months before joining.

Nyej
24-03-15, 06:29
I've been visiting for a couple of years now, but things are getting serious with my coffee making, so I thought I should join.....

ukreaderman
25-03-15, 03:54
I've been visiting for a couple of years now, but things are getting serious with my coffee making (http://bonorblad.se/?page_id=16), so I thought I should join.....

Same reason with me, although it only took me 2 months to decide.

darkroast
26-03-15, 09:45
I lurked for ages - reading with interest, but only joined up when I was after some specific information.... thinking of really pushing the boat out and getting a Slayer single group machine - the design of the thing is real eye candy - although I suspect that the coffee will not be much better than my current set up. Just WANT one!!

keithwjones
26-03-15, 11:41
30 secs - I have a general interest in coffee.

Dunk
27-03-15, 12:08
A couple of days for me!

greenm
27-03-15, 12:55
I Look on the site most days after buying my most recent machine, but haven't got up the confidence to post as my knowledge is quite poor, my passion has grown over the years, my first real machine being a 2nd Hand Gaggia Classic (good little machine) to a Elektra Nivola (produced good coffee but was always going wrong) to my current set-up a Profitec 700 and Vario Grinder and I am enjoying the ride:act-up:

I am starting to get to a point now where I can actually start to discover different flavors and nuances where before (probably my barista skills) notes seemed very muddy. My tastes are changing though from Dark Roasts to Lighter ones and sadly the Vario doesnt seems up to this challenge (the ever continuing chase)

Biggest plus point I have found on the Profitec 700 is being able to control brewing temps and the consistency you get from a double boiler machine (although I only froth milk for Macchiato's, I still enjoy making milk based beverages for friends and family, although some prefer a certain brand that a well known movie star advertises)

Having chucked more coffee's down the sink during the 10 years I have been pulling coffee than I have actual drunk I am still loving the experience, here's to 10 more years with hopefully less wastage :act-up:

titan_uk
27-03-15, 06:47
How long is a piece of string? and what do you mean 'did you lurk'? that's sounds suspiciously like a past tense ;) They don't call me Mr Lurky McLurk for nothing...

Dallah
27-03-15, 07:47
I jumped in as soon as I found this group of very friendly and helpful people. Of course I was slightly manic at the time, but that is a story for another time. Thanks for being supportive and not making me feel stupid when I made stupid mistakes. I started writing out thanks to members one by one and realised I would certainly overlook someone. This is such a friendly supportive group I felt right at home from the start. Can't wait to have enough cash to buy a prosumer machine from Bella Barista.

morphsbsd
29-03-15, 01:39
i'm still pretty much lurking, lots of answer already on here to questions I haven't even asked yet,

Jez H
04-04-15, 06:53
Hi guys. Just joined up having lurked for a few weeks trying to take on board as much info as possible!

As a newbie, my process is this:

grind beans(fine setting) with a De'Longhi KG79 (18g, I'm told 17 but the machine always leaves a few beans behind!). I then use the Aeropress inversion method & having stirred for 10 seconds leave to stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Then invert & plunge. Top up with boiling water, job done. I'm sure I'll be making basic errors or my process could be better, but I seem to be producing beautiful coffee.

i used to buy my beans from Square Mile, which were excellent but a tad pricey. I am now buying from Rave & Hasbean, both of whom are nicely withing my price point. Currently loving this from Rave: http://ravecoffee.co.uk/products/kenya-kii-ab

i'm staggered at the quality you can get for the money when you consider what (most) cafés charge for what amounts to one step up from instant.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated both in my brewing process & bean recommendations!

cheers.

scottomus
04-04-15, 07:31
Lurked for months before signing up. Then lurked as a member! But as coffee is part of my soul now thought I'd start getting involved!

Doozerless
04-04-15, 08:22
About 6 months or so, just firming up ideas and info. But now looking to take the plunge with an investment that can't be written off to experience.

hombre_mediocre
07-04-15, 01:46
I love forums so have been lurking in the shadows for a long time. Just bought a beautiful Gaggia Classic so doing some more research now and starting to post..

Chad
09-04-15, 12:18
Waves hello from sunny London.
I've been lurking for the last few months - trying to get as much info as possible about buying a nice secondhand gaggia classic or rancilio silva.
Need to up my post count before jumping in on the classifieds :-)
Any tips for picking up a well looked after secondhand machine?

ryno
19-04-15, 10:55
I did not lurk for too long and decided to join as I want to learn more about the wonderful world of coffee

Neill
24-04-15, 08:17
as m joining the forum as a guest thinks that no need to register but i found some useful categories like selling then i decided to register. to be honest now m completing my 5 posts so i am able to post my thing which i want to sell.

At least you're honest but please don't make pointless posts just to bump your count up. This place works off trust, particularly the selling section.

coffeefalafel
26-04-15, 09:53
Found through Google, I was very pleased to find a UK forum. Spent a lot of time reading the big American forums/websites and they are ok but ... you know full of Americans. :D Also pretty hard to find the machines/ grinders they recommend

27-04-15, 05:09
Lurked for a few weeks whilst researching a new espresso machine, there seems to be a wealth of info on here so I thought I'd sign up to ask a few Qs.

aussiematt
27-04-15, 05:31
I joined as soon as I found the forum, but still lurking so far…. hopefully get more involved in the near future!

Jon
27-04-15, 11:37
Waves hello from sunny London.
I've been lurking for the last few months - trying to get as much info as possible about buying a nice secondhand gaggia classic or rancilio silva.
Need to up my post count before jumping in on the classifieds :-)
Any tips for picking up a well looked after secondhand machine?
Machines sold on here tend to be better looked after (generally) - and sellers easier to verify than those on ebay.

chyobrian
28-04-15, 01:06

Anyway glad I finally became an active member.
http://rockbullet.tk/101/o.png

iain66
30-04-15, 12:38
I joined as soon as I found the forum but have been lurking a bit as alot of my questions have been answered in previous posts by people

PrinterElf
03-05-15, 06:41
As soon as I realised that this forum may end up costing me more money than the house I've just bought....
So around 90 seconds!

Beco90
03-05-15, 07:13
Found the forum today - signed up today! It's a treasure trove of great info, can't wait to get stuck in! :good:

kkilnan
08-05-15, 06:18
i signed up 2 days after finding it.

Aquitaine
11-05-15, 09:07
yeah joined in about a day!

Mr.Sun
19-05-15, 02:58
Been reading the forum for ages... and I simply have forgotten to do a proper registration until today.

My bad !

teejay41
21-05-15, 05:02
Have been 'into' coffee for just ten weeks now, which is when I bought my first proper machine - a S/H Gaggia Baby - from a forum member, who recommended joining the forum. I did so without delay.

Since then, I've never looked back, and am now well-and-truly hooked! Suffice it to say, that in ten weeks, I've gone from a Cookworks from Argos to a Gaggia Baby and Iberital MC2, through extra non-pressurised baskets, blind basket, naked portafilter (Gaggia fitting), loadsa cleaning stuff, two Motta tampers - flat and convex, stainless tamping stand, milk pitchers and thermometers (yes, plural), scales, countless Gaggia upgrade items including PID and 'MrShades' sensor, 'Classic' OPV, new improved pump, motor speed control, digital shot timer and all the bits and pieces required for installation. All never fitted, but as I've now given the Gaggia and MC2 to a pal, we'll do the upgrades together as a joint project.

So far, so good, and all on a fairly modest budget.

The slippery steps towards the first extravagance started when I bid for a S/H Mazzer SJ on eBay four or five weeks ago and won it, albeit for a reasonable price. Completely unplanned... I just happened across the auction with 7 minutes to go! After thorough cleaning and new burrs, it's performing like new. Then I became frustrated with all the temperature surfing and waiting between brewing and steaming (I mainly drink lattes) of the single-boiler machine. So the seed was sown for the next extravagance... dual boiler. I was all set to buy an Expobar Brewtus, but was hankering after a rotary pump when a pal suggested that if I was spending that kind of money, I might as well go for the 'machine of my dreams' which would 'see me out', as it were! (I'm well the wrong side of 70 already).

So the stakes were raised again and after much research through the forum - to whose members I am most grateful - I ended up a fortnight ago with a new QM Verona from Bella B. Along with new naked portafilter (E61 fitting), more tampers, numerous crockery and shot glasses, tamper click mat, etc. etc. Oh, and a Gene Cafe roaster (still in its carton) and serveral kilos of green beans. Add to that VST baskets, more timers and scales, knockout box etc. and you can see how hard the bug has bitten. I absolutely love it, and the forum has provided so much interest, knowledge and sheer camaraderie it's utterly invaluable.

This is also my one-hundredth post which I unashamedly reserved for this special occasion.

Here's to many happy years hopefully, with CFUK.

Tony.:coffee::coffee:

cale
25-05-15, 08:49
I've been lurking a fair while... Finally joined up today. Well, when I say joined, I mean posted.

Sandra styles
03-06-15, 06:09
Was given cheap coffee machine that after a week the element went. I decided I would by a good quality one that would last. The more I looked the more I got confused, so as soon as I seen the forum I joined hoping it will help me make the best decision.

Sandra styles
03-06-15, 06:11
Sorry just joined and realised I replied to you instead of thread

Sandra styles
03-06-15, 06:17
Was given a cheap coffee machine that lasted all but a week. I decided that I would invest in a decent machine, so started to look, the more I looked the more I got confused. When I saw the forum I joined straight away. Hope I be able to make a decision before my head blows up. I never thought it would be so difficult. Well from what I can see so far Gaggia is a favourite. But which one.

froggystyle
03-06-15, 06:25
Was given a cheap coffee machine that lasted all but a week. I decided that I would invest in a decent machine, so started to look, the more I looked the more I got confused. When I saw the forum I joined straight away. Hope I be able to make a decision before my head blows up. I never thought it would be so difficult. Well from what I can see so far Gaggia is a favourite. But which one.

Gaggia classic is a great starter machine, 2nd hand pre 2015 model on here should will cost you around £120 - £150 with the basic mods needed already done.

Keep an eye on the for sale area.

Sandra styles
03-06-15, 06:59
Thanks for advice but if buying new is it best to go for pre 2015 or the 2015 model

JaymeeH
03-06-15, 07:20
I've used the forum for advice a number of times over the years but really stepped it up last year when my son was born. Coffee became a survival ration.

froggystyle
03-06-15, 07:22
Thanks for advice but if buying new is it best to go for pre 2015 or the 2015 model

Pre 2015, its a must!

Sandra styles
03-06-15, 07:41
Thanks very much. So if I buy new what modifications need to be done

Sandra styles
03-06-15, 07:46
Thanks very much. So if I buy new what modifications need to be done. How does the classic compare to the titanium

froggystyle
03-06-15, 07:53
Might be best if you start a new thread in gaggia section.

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?16-Gaggia-Forum

Snakehips
04-06-15, 05:23
I stumbled upon the site by virtue of a coffee related Google and signed up within a couple of minutes.
Maybe that doesn't really qualify as a lurk? In which case the moderators might wish to erase my entry from the poll?

Pathofpeng
04-06-15, 07:07
I "mooched" for a couple of days before signing up.

StillAfter1
07-06-15, 04:30
Hi everyone,

I believe I will be one of the longest back benchers... lurking since 2011.. but hey I have an excuse- I was completely new to this addiction. So then, when I do not hold knowledge of the subject I keep my mouth shut... that's why was lurking/reading for so long before joining.

Thanks all for enlightenment.

aneeqa
07-06-15, 07:06
Not long I stumbled on this forum when I was about to get an aero press, prior to that I was an instant coffee man[emoji37]

That was about two years ago and since then I've been enjoying the aeropress via the inverted method though only with ready ground coffee ( I know not the best but still miles ahead of instant crap)

I've really enjoyed the brews inspite reading that a grinder is the way forward but prior to this year my kitchen was tiny was SWMBO would not allow me worktop space for a machine so I bided my time.

This year we completed the kitchen extension so now had acres of worktop space and the green light for kitchen gadgets including a coffee machine!!!

So finally last week after reading some more I got a gaggia classic 2010 vintage standard issue. I've ordered the rancillio wand and puly caffe cleaner. After getting acquainted with the classic I'll be getting a grinder in the next few months.

Any recommendations as to what will work best with the classic. Budget wise I think it'll be £50-£100 tops. Happy to safe for a little longer if it's worth it

StillAfter1
07-06-15, 08:45
Hi aneeqa,

Congrats with extention, and surely I like one part of your sentence "so now had acres of worktop space". It is Dream of most of us! Make the most of it!
Cheers

aneeqa
07-06-15, 09:03
Well it is acres our last kitchen had two spaces of worktop about 500mm in length so the only thing we had was a microwave. And a kettle. Even the toaster had to be put away after use.

It was always part of the deal she gets the big kitchen she's dreamed of and I get a few gadgets, the gaggia being one and a projector wired in the lounge though that still has to be set up and used. Combine the two and it'll be all night binging on coffee and the many box sets I have lined up!!!!

Soll
07-06-15, 09:14
At least you got room for expansion when upgradeitus sets in [emoji57]

Minorstep
13-06-15, 02:07
A few months!

tomatoe
14-06-15, 07:57
Wishing I'd signed up earlier!

tcheckley
29-06-15, 07:06
I didn't lurk for long, maybe a couple of days. I'm an impulsive person, when I saw all the activity in this forum I knew I had to be part of it. Coffee has recently come back into my radar after a 10 year absence, so I'm looking forward to learning all the tools and techniques

Thecatlinux
29-06-15, 08:09
I didn't lurk for long, maybe a couple of days. I'm an impulsive person, when I saw all the activity in this forum I knew I had to be part of it. Coffee has recently come back into my radar after a 10 year absence, so I'm looking forward to learning all the tools and techniques

Well you are in the right place , the forum has lots of sound advice and many people with a vast amount of experiences all in the search for the perfect cup of excellence .

AtoZ
29-06-15, 03:24
I have been procrastinating for quite a while, I've been on learning mode and most of time I could always find answers to my questions so never felt the need to post. I guess now that I've built a bit more experience I feel more confident to share some of my lessons and my grinder packed up so I'm looking for a new one in the classifieds section too....

elonii
29-06-15, 07:47
I just answered "less than a week" in the poll, but I found this forum while I was still planning to leave Australia - which probably makes it 18 months ago. However, I didn't come back and lurk, I saved it on the Tapatalk on my phone so I could participate UK side when I was allowed back in.

I was immediately struck by a huge difference in tone over the forum I frequented in Oz. A few blow-weary spear rattlers and equipment snobs on there. And when a new "expert" showed up? Dear god, it was like throwing a snake in a hen house. I asked a simple milk steaming question as pertained to my machine once, and a 50 post dust up ensued. And it was over how and when you should remove the steam wand from the milk.

I joined and posted quickly because of something this place was doing well - open, approachable atmosphere.

JamStur
09-07-15, 08:18
About a week, used this site/forum whilst researching what/where to buy. This place is invaluable for newbies, didn't realise there was so much to learn!

robashton
10-07-15, 10:02
Over a year, I haven't done forums since I was a teenager and while I *used* the forums for info very often indeed I didn't see any point in signing up.

Only broke this because I bumped into jeebsy at the farmer's market thing (I didn't realise the two names were related until I came on and found the thread, I found out about the stall from the local coffee shop grapevine).

Now I'm here and I've realised it's an excellent outlet for my over-enthusiasm so I don't bore everybody around me with coffee.

adwok
13-07-15, 11:34
Bout 2 mins. Have to say a few things so I can buy something...

Jon
13-07-15, 11:36
Welcome. (Please post relevant content though) :)

adwok
13-07-15, 11:42
Thanks. Will do

RDR
17-07-15, 05:06
I lurked for a day, but only cos the sign-up email didn't arrive! Happy to be on here now.

shunningmyaeropress
19-07-15, 06:11
I have lurked for three weeks and have now decided to join after reading all the great gaggia classic advice. Hoping to buy one soon

Beeroclock
10-08-15, 12:35
I've lurked for a good few months - am currently itching to upgrade my Silvia - so decided to join for helpful advice hopefully��

messier0101
15-08-15, 01:55
I've been lurking for about a week or so. The fact that the forum is UK based is what made me join over the others, plus everyone seems rather friendly too.

Regards,
mess

Dark Sumatra
04-09-15, 11:31
About 6 months. I love my black espresso coffee, but having lurked on here for far too long I have finally joined!

keithiopia
05-09-15, 06:34
I found some posts on here through Google a few months ago when I was casually looking for advice on good grinders, but didn't come back till about three weeks ago. Since then I joined and read a lot, but didn't post (until today!).

number4
08-09-15, 01:42
'Lurking!' All sounds a bit seedy - but would appear that I'm guilty as much as the rest. Never even knew I was doing 'it' - honest. Even worse is that I've been doing it for months.
Think I need help.
But even the bits that I've looked up so far have been highly useful.

h1udd
08-09-15, 01:45
errr .... about 7 - 10 years thereabouts :waiting::whistle:

Jumbo Ratty
08-09-15, 01:55
errr .... about 7 - 10 years thereabouts :waiting::whistle:

I think we have a winner,,,, congratulations

se-po
13-09-15, 12:10
1 month, lurking in the classified area but now I have to post...

Mello
13-09-15, 04:26
Lurked for a couple of days, like a few others have said, the fact that your UK based was a pretty big plus.