PDA

View Full Version : New user: still completing setup

martinwarrilow
16-12-13, 01:14
Hi, I'm new around these parts.

Just started out, sorted out the coffee machine...however; I'm after the following parts to complete my set up (my kitchen isn't even finished yet)

Mahlkonig Vario
Reg Barber 58mm Tamper

i'll be looking on here for used items, so if you have any of the above, let me know!

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 12:16
So...as an update, i've now got my Vario. On the equipment side i just need a Reg Barber Tamper.

If anyone can recommend a good starter pack of beans that would be great, i've seen that Has Bean has a starter pack. Would this put me in good stead?

Mrboots2u
18-12-13, 12:19
Hi there
When you drink coffee now , what kind of tastes etc do you like , and how do you drink it . Espresso ? Milk drinks ? Brewed as well ?
There are some other great tampers out there too. The torr tampers that are available from a member on here ( coffee chap ) are also excellent and worth looking at .

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 12:26
I'm by no means a connoisseur, but at the moment i am starting to drink espresso...this came from a month long job in Italy, there weren't many milk based drinks, so i got used to drinking it. I preferred the deeper rounded tastes rather than the fruity and citrus espresso i'd tried in certain cafe's.

I also drink americano with a dash of milk...not particularly adventurous i know. I would like to be able to prepare milk based coffee's for guests at home.

I'll have a look at the Torr tampers. Many thanks for the recommendation.

Mrboots2u
18-12-13, 12:31
I'm by no means a connoisseur, but at the moment i am starting to drink espresso...this came from a month long job in Italy, there weren't many milk based drinks, so i got used to drinking it. I preferred the deeper rounded tastes rather than the fruity and citrus espresso i'd tried in certain cafe's.

I also drink americano with a dash of milk...not particularly adventurous i know. I would like to be able to prepare milk based coffee's for guests at home.

I'll have a look at the Torr tampers. Many thanks for the recommendation.
no worries , what machine are you making the espresso on, and with what basket ?
some of the Torrs/ barbers might be a better fit than a standard 58mm for example.
If you let us know the machine and or bakets being used we might be able to recommend more .

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 01:13
I'm using a Gaggia Baby Class, which is advertised as having a 58mm basket.

Olliehulla
18-12-13, 01:16
Knock make good quality value for money tampers and come in a range of sizes

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 01:38
I'll also have a good look at Knock!

Mrboots2u
18-12-13, 01:50
Re beans , not sure what comes in the hasbean starter pack . You need to be looking for beans with the mediumish roast to fit the tastes you have described you like . Possibly stuff with the choc , nutty , caramel notes ?
Hasbean will have beans that fit that profile but not sure if it's the lighter stuff in the starter pack .
personally I'd try and finda Bean you like the look of get 500 g and have enough of the same thing to dial in your grinder and play with. Easy to get your mojo with one less variable to keep changing ( the bean type ) . But up to you there is the danger that you might get something not to your taste .
Extract original
rave signature or Italian job
some of the hasbean brazillians
might suit your taste and drinks profile .
Cheers

Charliej
18-12-13, 01:55
Re beans , not sure what comes in the hasbean starter pack . You need to be looking for beans with the mediumish roast to fit the tastes you have described you like . Possibly stuff with the choc , nutty , caramel notes ?
Hasbean will have beans that fit that profile but not sure if it's the lighter stuff in the starter pack .
personally I'd try and finda Bean you like the look of get 500 g and have enough of the same thing to dial in your grinder and play with. Easy to get your mojo with one less variable to keep changing ( the bean type ) . But up to you there is the danger that you might get something not to your taste .
Extract original
rave signature or Italian job
some of the hasbean brazillians
might suit your taste and drinks profile .
Cheers

Nothing in the Has Bean starter pack with tastes like that, they do much better beans than that pack.

garydyke1
18-12-13, 02:19
Make sure you get rid of the pressurised basket.

Re beans - Get a Kilo of this http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?13472-HasBean-Christmas-discounts

garydyke1
18-12-13, 02:20
Stupid moderator rule thing!

Kyle548
18-12-13, 02:52
I would suggest HB are pretty difficult beans to find your footing with.....

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 11:16
What would you recommend as a good alternative for the standard pressurised basket? I bought a new rubber seal for it, and a perfect crema pin...as i bought My Gaggia baby class used, and it didn't include those two parts.

so; in regards to the beans, i think you're right...i should get a larger pack of something. Some of the ones you've suggested i'll have a look at.

garydyke1
18-12-13, 11:25
Any standard non-pressurised 58mm basket. Something like http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/la-marzocco-basket-17g

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 11:31
Could you explain further what effect changing the pressurised for a non pressurised basket will have?

martinwarrilow
18-12-13, 11:40
...hold that explanation. I'm doing a bit of research, and i can see why i need to change the basket for non pressurised.

Charliej
19-12-13, 12:36
I would suggest HB are pretty difficult beans to find your footing with.....

Kyle try their Brazilian Cachoeira it's really easy to extract as espresso.

coffeechap
19-12-13, 12:45
Charlie I can't believe you are such a hasbean convert now!!

Charliej
19-12-13, 01:03
Only that one lot though lol, and the current DSOL from James is only very very slightly darker roast, I was surprised by those particular Has Bean beans, although Gary has picked a bag out for me from the Sage testing lot based upon my taste in coffee so we'll see. I picked up some rather nice dark roasted Burundi Murama from Roberts and Co today, their first ever bulk roast of this coffee, never tried any from Burundi yet so looking forward to these.