PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 central heating challenge!

c_squared
17-09-13, 08:13
So here it is, every year with the passing of summer and the onset of the first autumnal storms I try and set myself a target of when I'll turn the central heating back on.

I normally set myself the target of November but my best effort yet was December. When I suggested to my wife that we should aim for the new year she gave a simple reply, delivered with sufficient authority that made be conceded, she merely said NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!

There are various factors that I must consider, this year they include...a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a pregnant wife. Each year I walk along a dangerous path of pushing it for just one more week without being banished to sleep in the garage. Another significant factor is my need (not want) of an upgrade from a porlex hand grinder to something, well, more substantial, in both function and cost.

Ok, so the heating might not be on but when the weather looks like this...

...I get to light this (just try and ignore the safety guard)

Anyway, autumn is my favourite season and I love stoves, fires etc. I was wondering, does anyone else enjoy these simple pleasures or set themselves a central heating challenge?

Neill
17-09-13, 08:24
We've had an enforced no boiler on, the burners gone. This always happens when I least need it. Ah well, stoves lit. Flat white in me. Plenty warm now.

glevum
17-09-13, 08:37
As the gas bills went up our central heating thermostat came down, currently set to 14c. But i re opened the chimney a couple of years ago and have an open wood fire. My Auntie has a country estate and has a log pile the size of my house. Cant beat a coffee / glass of vino around a fire on a cold night, not a lover of central heating anyways.

oop north
17-09-13, 08:49
We have a couple of wood burning stoves that get regular use. Our house is very well insulated and has a heat recovery system so the central heating is not on much anyway. Our Rayburn is on in the winter months though - provides background heat downstairs

c_squared
17-09-13, 08:56
Gas bills, actually just bills in general have got a little out of control. A large source of wood on a country estate within the family sounds...amazing. I have to resort to paying for a tipper load and storing it in the garage. Still, it's all part of the process and a little like coffee, the process adds to the enjoyment.

Heat recovery systems, rayburns and doubling up on stoves sounds like my kind of house!!! Makes my one little stove look a little lonely on its own. Saying that though our stove really pushes the heat out.

Xpenno
17-09-13, 08:58
I've been of work at home this week and I have to say that I gave in yesterday. The thermostat is only at 12deg but it feels wrong turning on this early. It'll be off again at the end of the week.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

c_squared
17-09-13, 09:26
I don't have a thermostat on my boiler, just a dial from 0-4, I keep it turned down as low as I can get. My wife once asked me what the dials did and I was caught off guard and gave her a straight answer. Every now and again I see the dial has mysteriously been cranked up!

Xpenno
17-09-13, 09:33
I don't have a thermostat on my boiler, just a dial from 0-4, I keep it turned down as low as I can get. My wife once asked me what the dials did and I was caught off guard and gave her a straight answer. Every now and again I see the dial has mysteriously been cranked up!

Ha! I get "Oh I must have accidentally knocked it when I went upstairs".

working dog
17-09-13, 09:36
We gave in yesterday as well. Partly due to drying the gloss for the decorators but partly because its flippin cold !

I have a new wood burner for the outbuilding that is twice the heat output of the old wood burner. Only problem is that I currently have 12m of wall missing that is replaced with plywood until the wall is rebuilt. Cant wait to get that rebuilt and a bit warmer than it currently is.

urbanbumpkin
17-09-13, 10:26
I gave in at the weekend. I was convinced I'd hold off till mid October then heard Ray Mears on the radio saying that he'd fired up his heating last week. I think his quote was "any old fool can be cold".

Maybe resorting to bushcraft when the gas bill lands!

glevum
17-09-13, 10:31
Ray is an absolute legend

c_squared
17-09-13, 10:35
I gave in at the weekend. I was convinced I'd hold off till mid October then heard Ray Mears on the radio saying that he'd fired up his heating last week. I think his quote was "any old fool can be cold".

Maybe resorting to bushcraft when the gas bill lands!

Haha, brilliant. I would expect ray of all people to have a nice open fire/wood burner. Maybe we should try and draw a comment from bear grylls as a second opinion.

The only reason I can last out until November is because of the stove.

painty
17-09-13, 10:43
The central heating isn't on yet, but I've kept my work room warm by leaving Heavenly switched on for the last few days as a big expensive space heater.

glevum
17-09-13, 10:48
I have just moved my machine to its Autumn/winter position, next to wear i sit on my PC in the kitchen, dont need a radiator

urbanbumpkin
17-09-13, 10:49
Haha, brilliant. I would expect ray of all people to have a nice open fire/wood burner. Maybe we should try and draw a comment from bear grylls as a second opinion.

The only reason I can last out until November is because of the stove.

I would love a wood burner but our chimney can't take it. Maybe that's Rays version of central heating ie a wood burner or just him closing his windows :)

I think Bear would have had his on since mid Aug ! He's probably been jetted off to an emergency 5* Hotel when this colder spell was forecast.

c_squared
17-09-13, 10:54
I would love a wood burner but our chimney can't take it. Maybe that's Rays version of central heating ie a wood burner or just him closing his windows :)

I think Bear would have had his on since mid Aug ! He's probably been jetted off to an emergency 5* Hotel when this colder spell was forecast.

Haha.

You can get the chimney lined but it comes at a cost. We were lucky our chimney was in good nick and that helped keep the cost for installation down.

Eyedee
18-09-13, 07:37
A few years ago my brother-in-law said to me "if you can't be warm in your own house where can you be warm". I've lived by that doctrine ever since as it just made sense to me.;

Ian

garydyke1
18-09-13, 09:20
We only pulsed ours a couple of times 1) to check the new boiler works and 2) to ''dry the towels'' in the bathroom...well that was her excuse.

We have a wood-burner in the living room & lauras brother is a tree surgeon. No doubt we will be using it a lot quite soon

GS11
18-09-13, 05:42
I keep my thermostat at 17degrees though certain areas of the house can drop down to 15. Have the original victorian fireplace in lounge and burn mostly wood pallets (heat treated only & chopped up at work) and have a stash of hardwood oak/ ash which I collect foc during the course of the year.

in comparison, I have 2 female neighbors, and always chuckle to myself when I see their combis running at all times of the day....when they are at work!

Mrboots2u
18-09-13, 06:00
Our heating is oil powered , so every 3-6 months a tanker rolls up and fills my tank. I try and buy in the summer when it's cheaper , not use it for those months , then get us through the winter. Only ran out of oil once, I wasn't a popular Mr B that day .....

c_squared
18-09-13, 06:08
Our heating is oil powered , so every 3-6 months a tanker rolls up and fills my tank. I try and buy in the summer when it's cheaper , not use it for those months , then get us through the winter. Only ran out of oil once, I wasn't a popular Mr B that day .....

Im originally from Northern Ireland where the majority of houses are on oil fired central heating. When I was a kid the oil tank in the garden was a bit of a climbing frame for my brothers and I. I do however like the convenience of a gas combi boiler.

Mrboots2u
18-09-13, 06:13
The bloody prices swing so much for oil across the year . 500 litres can go from 280 to nearly 400 if you time it wrong . Used to have wood fired burner in old place , was lovely ....

c_squared
18-09-13, 06:20
That is a huge swing in prices! Wood stoves are lovely, bit of a luxury really but it helps off set the use of the central heating.

Mrboots2u
18-09-13, 06:26
Now I have the l1 to heat the kitchen.....

c_squared
19-09-13, 04:34
3673this should keep me and my family warm for a while...it certainly did while I was stacking it in the garage this morning!

glevum
19-09-13, 05:08
Looks a nice seasoned load.

c_squared
19-09-13, 05:16
I should have taken a photo of the tipper van that turned up. It was a left hand drive ex military multi purpose vehicle that had been converted by the owner for tree surgery type work. Looked like it was from Russia or something.

Olliehulla
20-09-13, 03:39
We fired up the CH last w/e to make sure it works before it gets cold. Nothing. The hot water works fine and has all year but radiators...naaa.

Friend of the family who is a plumber replaced the wireless receiver and hey presto ! 100 sprang out of my pocket into his...... plumbers..pfffff!

ps - I want a log burner !!

coffeechap
20-09-13, 03:51
Might consider putting the heating on in January, but then it is 27 C here in Rome today.....

glevum
20-09-13, 04:19
Might consider putting the heating on in January, but then it is 27 C here in Rome today.....

OK, will have to do a 2013 air conditioning challenge for the Mediterranean bunch! we shiver, you sweat!

coffeechap
20-09-13, 04:21
OK, will have to do a 2013 air conditioning challenge for the Mediterranean bunch! we shiver, you sweat!

No no just go up to the mountains in summer!

PaulN
24-09-13, 01:49
Ok heres one for the clever people.... When you finally do cave in do you keep the central heating on low 24/7 or have it on a timer so its off during working hours and sleeping hours?

From when i moved into my new house ive had the central heating on constantly, of course if it doent need to come on it doesnt but its normally set at 14degC until im back in the house then upto 17-18degC (for winter of course) from having a gas cut last Jan its crazy how cold and how long it took to warm my house back up.....

Ive been taking readings every month and know exactly how much i use and spend for the last 12 months. I could post it but its quite OCD lol lets just say im currently using 8 a month Gas vs the peak of 102 in Feb!!!!!!

Good this reads so geeky!!!! lol

jimbow
24-09-13, 02:59
Great question - I think the answer will depend a large part on the thermal mass of your house (how long it takes to heat up and cool down) and how well it is insulated.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

c_squared
24-09-13, 07:43
Ok heres one for the clever people.... When you finally do cave in do you keep the central heating on low 24/7 or have it on a timer so its off during working hours and sleeping hours?

From when i moved into my new house ive had the central heating on constantly, of course if it doent need to come on it doesnt but its normally set at 14degC until im back in the house then upto 17-18degC (for winter of course) from having a gas cut last Jan its crazy how cold and how long it took to warm my house back up.....

Ive been taking readings every month and know exactly how much i use and spend for the last 12 months. I could post it but its quite OCD lol lets just say im currently using 8 a month Gas vs the peak of 102 in Feb!!!!!!

Good this reads so geeky!!!! lol

Good question, I've always been told that this is the most efficient way to heat the house but I've never been brave enough to go with it. That and the fact that we don't have a thermostat.

The answer to the question is, once I turn the heating on I only have it on timed but will light the stove as a 'boost'. We only have a standard size 3 bed semi and the wee stove is amazing at heating the whole house if I open and close the doors at the right time.

As for insulation, we have cavity wall insulation but last year had out windows changed. The old double glazing was completely shot, really bad condensation and the bedroom window almost fell out one winter. Picture someone up a ladder that was too short trying to push a large bay window back into place and you've got it! Anyway, these new windows are argon gas filled and are incredibly efficient, so much so that when the weather turns we get condensation on the outside of the window and once the weather really gets cold we get frost on the outside window yet you touch the inside pane and it feels almost body temp.

c_squared
15-11-13, 08:26
Tick, tick, tick...woooooof. That's the noise the boiler made tonight when I turned the heating on for the first time this winter.

urbanbumpkin
15-11-13, 08:52
What did you switch it on with? Black frost bitten hands? ;)

jeebsy
15-11-13, 08:54
Mine's still off (and one of the windows still open) but I am having to wear more and more layers...

garydyke1
15-11-13, 08:56
Heating has been coming on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Draft can be felt from under the bath of all places!! Today enough was enough, I put the heating on all day @17c

Heligan
15-11-13, 09:24
Still not got central heating on, but we do have a woodburner and an Everhot cooker (bit like an Aga) which is on 24/7. Nearly caved in yesterday when I was going out in the evening so it wasn't worth lighting the woodburner, but I held out by running a fan heater for a few minutes.

c_squared
15-11-13, 09:40
Still not got central heating on, but we do have a woodburner and an Everhot cooker (bit like an Aga) which is on 24/7. Nearly caved in yesterday when I was going out in the evening so it wasn't worth lighting the woodburner, but I held out by running a fan heater for a few minutes.

We've had the wood burner on most evenings, it's noticeable the following day if we haven't had it going. We also have the added benefit of having a south facing house so any sun throughout the day will give a boost!

jeebsy
21-11-13, 07:23
Sitting shivering eating breakfast...might be time to bite the bullet (or at least close the window)

Charliej
21-11-13, 01:23
Sitting shivering eating breakfast...might be time to bite the bullet (or at least close the window)

You could always huddle over a candle rubbing your hands together and then if gets even colder you could always light it, but hey I guess you can take the boy out of Scotland but not SCotland out of the boy :D

Saftlad
21-11-13, 08:28
We're still holding out, I want to make it to 1st December at least. Fortunately, the weather has been kind to us in this neck of the woods.

c_squared
21-11-13, 08:48
Made it to December a couple of years ago, tentatively tried to suggest to my wife that we should go for the new year, the answer was a very clear...NO!

Yes Row
21-11-13, 08:59
Had a brand new boiler fitted last month (last boiler was only 65% efficient so 35% of the gas used went straight out the flue!)
Had it on most days since, so i am not in this challenge however what I find most incredible is how warm the house gets and how quickly/incredibly hot the radiators get
I will be interested to see how my gas consumption will compare to last winter
Got a cracking deal from British Gas and a contribution from the government via the Green Deal for the fitting

Fevmeister
21-11-13, 09:51
3673this should keep me and my family warm for a while...it certainly did while I was stacking it in the garage this morning!

How much did this cost you???

c_squared
21-11-13, 10:05
120 I think, maybe 140. Can't remember now. I used to have a different supplier but they didn't have any this year and they were a bit cheaper. The ideal situation is to make friends with a free surgeon who will give you green wood for free. If you have the space you can season it and split it yourself.

mfaller
23-11-13, 11:01
We leave ours on all the time - if its warm enough the heating shouldn't fire up. We had a new boiler fitted last year (replacing one that was almost exactly 30 years old). New boiler not bad, new controller is rubbish - it's wireless, has a relatively poor range and only two set temperatures, where the old controller had three (day, evening, night). Have yet to check the gas consumption to see how much cheaper (if any!) it is...

GS11
23-11-13, 11:13
I'm now finding 14 a bearable daytime/night time temp with a boost to 15 in the evenings when |I'm less active.

To achieve this i had to fit a jumper in the wireless thermostat to get it to operate below 16

Been chopping lots of wood and have the fire going a few evening so far:good:

c_squared
23-11-13, 11:35
I don't have a very sophisticated boiler, it doesn't even have a thermostat, just 1-5 on a dial on the boiler. I normally have it set to about 0.4 on the dial and light the fire to boost the temperature of the house. We enjoyed such a boost tonight but it got a little too hot...now I'm sat watching tv in my boxers

Neill
23-11-13, 11:41
I don't have a very sophisticated boiler, it doesn't even have a thermostat, just 1-5 on a dial on the boiler. I normally have it set to about 0.4 on the dial and light the fire to boost the temperature of the house. We enjoyed such a boost tonight but it got a little too hot...now I'm sat watching tv in my boxers

Please, no pictures this time.

jeebsy
11-01-14, 08:05
Still holding out. Might have to cave soon though, it's starting to get pretty cold the last day or two.

GS11
11-01-14, 08:10
Still holding out. Might have to cave soon though, it's starting to get pretty cold the last day or two.

Move closer too the brewtus :)

What temps are you currently at jeesby?

I turned my c/h on in December but am now happy to run with lower temps i.e. 15 as a daytime temp with a quick blast early am and 16 evenings.

jeebsy
11-01-14, 08:16
Using the highly scientific method of holding two cooking thermometers in the air it's about 15.5 degrees. It's OK when I'm home myself and can get football socks, trackies and a hoody on but have people coming round shortly and have to dress a bit more appropriately!

c_squared
11-01-14, 11:54
I'm impressed...I'm very impressed!

robti
11-01-14, 11:59
Just think a couple of months and it will be time to turn them off.

jeesby you might get through the next couple without having turned it on.

btw bit of a wimp here sitting with the stat at 20 degrees here

Neill
12-01-14, 12:03
Ah, the next phase of the challenge. Who can turn it off again first, and I don't mean off and on again straight away, off until Autumn/winter this year!

glevum
12-01-14, 12:32
Weve only had ours ticking over so the c/h pipes dont freeze in the attic. Been cosy with an open log fireplace.

jeebsy
12-01-14, 12:55
Just think a couple of months and it will be time to turn them off.

jeesby you might get through the next couple without having turned it on.

btw bit of a wimp here sitting with the stat at 20 degrees here

It's been pretty mild so far, was 12 degrees the week before Christmas so was playing tennis outside in shorts and a tshirt. Feb and March seem to be when it gets seriously cold now. That'll be the litmus test.

Milanski
12-01-14, 01:53
You boys are hardcore! I caved in in November!
Have to say though, now that I've mounted rockwool baffles on the wall (as sound insulation for my studio) the heat is deflected off them and into the room. My boiler temp dial has now been more than halved. Made me realised I was paying to heat an outside wall more than heat my flat all these years :(