PDA

View Full Version : Holiday suggestions needed

rmcgandara
08-07-13, 10:14
trying to book an holiday in and probably could do with some suggestions

The idea is to go to somewhere close to the sea (or at least drivable). we were considering greece, italy, france. maybe near genoa, where I can also take a day to go to Cannes, turin and or milan.

HALP!

photojonny
08-07-13, 10:20
Cinque Terra in North West Italy. Series of 5 villages on the coast. Genoa is nearest big city. I have friends in Vernazza. Beautiful place.

forzajuve
08-07-13, 10:37
I always like Antibes, between Cannes and Nice. Actually don't think Cannes is worth a visit when Nice has so much more to offer. Also not too far to go into northern Italy for day trips or slumming it in Monaco!

Charliej
09-07-13, 12:49
Positano and the Amalfi coast are well worth checking out, gorgeous scenery, the nearest big city is Naples. You also have Pompeii within easy reach and also the island of Capri, but if you go there keep your credit cards and the OH on a tight leash because of all the designer shops.

reneb
09-07-13, 08:56
Positano and the Amalfi coast are well worth checking out, gorgeous scenery, the nearest big city is Naples. You also have Pompeii within easy reach and also the island of Capri, but if you go there keep your credit cards and the OH on a tight leash because of all the designer shops.

agree with that, great place for a holiday, but potentially very expensive and personally i wouldn't go in peak season - it will be rammed and very hot and the roads along the amalfi coast are very narrow and twisty and get completely clogged up. it is beautiful though and as well as the amazing pompeii there is herculaneum (which is better preserved than pompeii but a much smaller site), vesuvius and the islands off the amalfi coast.

difficult to know what type of holiday you want from your original post, but i've had fantastic holidays in sardinia, southern italy, sicily and corsica.

garydyke1
09-07-13, 08:58
Im doing 4 days in Turin and 4 days in Genoa in September. We have done Rome, Florence, Sorrento, Venice in the past

rmcgandara
09-07-13, 10:46
agree with that, great place for a holiday, but potentially very expensive and personally i wouldn't go in peak season - it will be rammed and very hot and the roads along the amalfi coast are very narrow and twisty and get completely clogged up. it is beautiful though and as well as the amazing pompeii there is herculaneum (which is better preserved than pompeii but a much smaller site), vesuvius and the islands off the amalfi coast.

difficult to know what type of holiday you want from your original post, but i've had fantastic holidays in sardinia, southern italy, sicily and corsica.

I love sardinia and would go again, but wanted to go somewhere else. I understand that I was pretty vague, but didn't want to narrow suggestions that much. but thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone has a recommendation for greece?

R

glevum
09-07-13, 01:18
stunning beach outskirts of Palermo. Sicily called Mondello. Palermo also a lively city to visit with great coffee.

Gangstarrrrr
09-07-13, 02:22
I love sardinia and would go again, but wanted to go somewhere else. I understand that I was pretty vague, but didn't want to narrow suggestions that much. but thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone has a recommendation for greece?

R

Santorini comes to mind.

painty
09-07-13, 02:54
Cephalonia was a nice island too. Taking a ferry from the islands with airports to smaller ones which don't can find you less touristy resorts too.