Dog and Hat

Thread: How to change the temperature on the Gaggia Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post How to change the temperature on the Gaggia Classic

Hi Guys and Gals,
    This is my first post here, but here goes. I have had my new Gaggia Classic for a couple of months now and working at pulling a decent shot. I first discarded the pressurised portafilter and bought an Iberital MC2. I am getting some good espresso but now looking at the water temperature. I have not measured the temperature coming out yet as waiting for the measuring wand. it does seem to me that the machine is running quite hot and I am burning the coffee. The steam setting button is not on, but I would say that that is the temperature we are looking at. The machine seems to get very hot if I leave it on after pulling a shot. So my main question is how can I regulate the temperature of the Gaggia Classic? Do I need to take the machine apart? Are there any manuals about that I can look at? Thanks for your help in advance. Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hi Jan. How have you come to the conclusion you're burning the coffee, is it just because the water appears to be too hot or because it tastes that way? I have heard that the thermostats are pretty unpredictable, some run too hot and others too cold. Too hot and you will produce a bitter shot, too cold a sour shot. I myself at this point surf the temperature too achieve a balanced shot. Once my machine is hot I flush he group head. I usually get a small burst of steam and then it settles. I myself always assumed that my water was too hot but after testing found that in fact it was too cold and now I switch the steam switch in for 15 seconds before pulling the shot and this achieves my sweet spot for the coffee, grind and tamp that I'm currently on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm, that's interesting, can I ask how you measure the temperature of the shot? And what sort of temperature should you look to achieve?
    Gaggia Classic and now a Gaggia MM grinder errr that's it! Learning more with every one made....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well this is a loaded question. Most people say the ideal temp is between 92 and 96 degrees but I read an interesting article somewhere that suggested a ramp starting at I think 96 and ending at 88 degrees produces a smoother cup of coffee.

I haven't tested my temperature properly although I'm just considering going down the PID route. I just tasted lots of shots varying the way I surfed my machine until I hit the sweet spot. After all it's about taste right.

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol
    :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses. The reason behind why I think I am burning the shots is that I believe it does taste a bit bitter sometimes. This also coincides when the machine has been on for awhile. I have managed some shots that taste really wonderful, but that has been when the machine has just been switched on (left to heat up for approx 6 minutes and the group head is warmed through). From your posts the temperature is supposed to be higher then I expected. I think I will just have to experiment more - and buy a proper thermometer. The exciting thing but also the most frustrating thing about espresso making is the number of variables at play when making espresso. I love it when it all comes together and I sit there with a smooth cup that is so much better then anything you could buy commercially. A real sense of achievement! I hate it when I have to drink a cup which is just not right. Anyway thanks again for your replies. I will post again if I have more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hope you're getting on OK with your temperature issues. There are some parallels between this thread and http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread...e-or-the-beans if you haven't read it already.
    Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol
    :