Give It The Beans

Thread: Is Bulletproof Coffee Good For You?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is Bulletproof Coffee Good For You?

This is an interesting recipe that consists of coffee, unsalted grass fed butter, and a derivative of coconut oil called Brain Octane oil. It claims to be able to help with concentration, focus, and losing weight. Though it all sounds to be a big pot of snake oil, I made this video to break down each ingredient and weighing the pros and cons, in terms of health benefits, of each ingredient. What do you think of Bulletproof coffee? Is it a load of bologna or do you think it carries some merit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This has been around for a little while now. Last time I read anything about it was an article stating that any health benefits were probably spurious and unsupported by any studies. However, that was probably 18+ months ago, and so that *might* have changed.

Morzine, Haute Savoie, Rhone Alpes, France
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

It's been around for quite a few years now. This guy's done a bit of research for us: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/bulletproof-coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seemed pretty fishy, at least to me, when they were talking about all the health benefits when they started talking about toxins in coffee. From what I understand, coffee has antioxidants in it and, even if there were toxins, that's what your liver is for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just read the article, Sami. Man that's one fantastic article. I love how indepth it goes into HDL's and LDL's and some actual studies on how the coffee really affected people. Thank you for sharing it

Morzine, Haute Savoie, Rhone Alpes, France
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Default Is Bulletproof Coffee Good For You?

I think there is sufficient evidence to support the idea that mycotoxins at too high a level can be detrimental to health, but as you can see from the article, taking the most conservative estimates you'd have to consume a hell of a lot of coffee to get anywhere near those levels.

I'm very wary of that guy as he is ultimately a salesman/marketing guru with a few questionable claims. One of which being that he was able to attain states of consciousness within a very short space of time that Tibetan monks required decades of training to achieve. I emailed him asking if he could elaborate on the claim as no details were given on his website but he never got back to me. I think the claim also shortly disappeared from the website!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

The best thing to accrue from bulletproof coffee so far is the amount of entertainment I got from seeing Scotford's face when he tasted some. Seldom have I laughed so much, and the health benefits of laughter are probably less spurious and better documented than any pertaining to the direct consumption of this aberrant beverage. Or something.
    Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, Eureka Zenith 65E • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.4 black Ti/walnut tamper • Knock 58.35 black/walnut tamper • Big bag o' beans.

Eat, drink and be merry