Happy Donkey
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Aeropress methods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

I think there's always some risk, maybe letting the bed settle more: less/no stirs after steep, or a slightly longer pause after post steep stirs, avoid pressing all the liquid out (stop when you see grounds bed exposed), maybe psychosomatic - but I often just break the seal around the plunger & let the first drops out under gravity then press gently in the hope of settling the bed more gently?

Sifting out fines will be most effective.
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Did another brew now, and the bitter taste was much less pronounced this time. Tasted delicious. Hit 22.5% EY again, though I didn't bother to use syringe filter this time. I'm quite amazed you can hit so high extraction in short time (1:30 total time) with such a simple method, makes me wonder if I should ever bother with pour over again for single cups. I will try without the last stir, but I think that might reduce extraction.

The taste I had earlier is similar to what you get when you chew roasted coffee beans directly - kind of a roasty/burnt taste.. so it's probably due to undissolved solids as you say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Another bitter brew again. Seems to happen every 3rd brew or so. Have not been able to figure out what causes this
    It might have to do with the way I stir, or push down the plunger. Do you typically push it down all the way, or just until the vacuum forms?

Last edited by the_partisan; 21-04-17 at 09:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Guys,
    Well come to forum site.We don't weigh anything. So, Aeropress set to the maximum size before it falls apart. Full, level Oppress scoop of beans into a Feldgrind set to 1.6. Water at 95C. Pour a little in and swirl it around. Fill to the brim & wait for the bloom to settle, fill to top again. We Steep for between 1:40 and 2:40 depending on the beans and their roast. Slowly press till the hiss is over into a Le Secrete stoneware cup.