perc it
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Aeropress methods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingDog View Post
    I tried the long steep method today. Wow, what a difference. I've had two Americanos today and they have been excellent. I'm now happy that my Aeropress will produce better coffee than the branch of Costa at work.
    I'll be experimenting with metal filters now, I have one already but might try some different ones to see what effect they have.
    An aeropress concentrate diluted with water isnt technically an americano, its still a filter coffee . Its a bypass brew.

Glad you're enjoying the virtues of long steeps. A long steep full immersion (all the coffee and all the final water) brew is even better.
    @garydyke1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As we share the aeropress in work time isnt always on our side.

My method is 16g coffee, 230g of water this equates to. Fill to number 2 and stir. Fill to 4 and leave it drop to 3. Plunger in place for a minute then depress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use 17g inverted, fill with a little water, agitate and wait for bloom. Then fill to the too and wait a minute before plunging. Still testing though, very new to the aeropress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone managed to get a really short and still sweet shot with the Aeropress? How did you do it? I'd like to be able to make something that acts as a decent base for a milk drink for friends that are not so into black coffee. I can squeeze out about a 1:8 ratio that is quite balanced, but that's still quite watery to be used with milk. Anything shorter than that leans towards under-extraction and doesn't really work no matter how much I stir or how long I steep. I believe I would be quite happy with about 1:4 to 1:5 ratio if that was possible. Yes, I know, "If you want espresso, get an espresso machine", but now I'm trying to get most out of what I've got.

My usual recipe for filter-strength Aeropress is 16g coffee to 250g of 95+°C water. 30-40g stirred bloom for 45 sec and then dump rest of the water in, fit the plunger and let steep until at drinking temperature. Now, this works well all the way to 18g coffee to 150g water ratio, but if I go shorter it just doesn't extract enough to my taste before it gets too cold. I also can't really grind any finer without a serious risk of contributing to the muppetry thread..

What are your tricks to getting most sweetness out of short Aeropress shots?
    Last edited by Cirya; 22-01-17 at 06:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Have you tried adjusting grind size? I used to use a near-espresso grind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone using Aeropress and Hario Skerton grinder? If so, can you please tell me how many clicks you turn back to adjust your grind?
    Does anyone have a good recipe for Espresso on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I never know how to adjust things when I don't get the tasting notes coming through. Nino, from Casa Espresso, told me on my latest Rwandan beans from him to grind quite fine to get the best out of them. This made a huge difference & brought out all the sweetness & booziness. Could somebody please tell me if that should be the first thing to try, grind finer?
    I'm not a big one to experiment & usually just stick to my same brewing methods. A bit of laziness & lack of coffee brewing education!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Yes, you can grind fine for Aeropress, maybe just coarser than espresso?
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried the longer brew method with the Aeropress this morning. Quite happy with the result (I had expected overextraction and bitter flavours). Going to experiment with different grinds now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I made a mistake the other day and ground for aeropress at espresso setting on grinder.

Didn't realise until got to work so just used it and keep brew to under a minute. Was more difficult to wet all the grounds as was so thick but got there.

Was really nice, more body and flavours than other methods I'd used
    ECM Mechanika IV Profi Rotary (plumbed in) - 18g VST ridgeless - IMS screen, LevTamp, Eureka Mignon. Aeropress and Rhinoware

Live and Let Live