Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217
Results 2,161 to 2,169 of 2169

Thread: Decent espresso

  1. #2161
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default IMS filter screens upgrade now available

    Here are photos comparing the two screens. In my experience, both filter screens perform identically when clean and new.

    ims_vs_default.jpg

    However, the IMS screen, because it is a single thin layer, tends to remain clean much longer. It also gets cleaner automatically with the "clean" cycle and a Cafiza tablet in a blank portafilter.

    We ordered custom Phillips screws, with an especially sharp angle on the head, so that the head of the screw would be flush with the screen. You can see the screw in the photo.

    ims_detail_medium.jpg

    That custom screw will be included automatically if you order the IMS shower screen from us.

    Here is a video of IMS' manufacturing process:



    I now have these IMS filter screens in stock for v1.0 machines. The DE1PRO v1.1 machines will all be built with these IMS filter screens. The upcoming v1.1 DE1+ machines will continue to use the mesh style screens.

    Scroll down to the bottom of this page for more info: https://decentespresso.com/de1plus

    or here's a direct shopping cart link: https://decentespresso.com/cart?s=73345+1

  2. #2162
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Zug, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

    Default

    In my experience IMS screens are fragile. Iíve had two fail the Pallo grouphead brush regime. If they perform identically, I reckon the traditional mesh screen is a more resilient solution.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

  3. #2163
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
    In my experience IMS screens are fragile. Iíve had two fail the Pallo grouphead brush regime. If they perform identically, I reckon the traditional mesh screen is a more resilient solution.
    Why are you using a brush of any sort on the IMS screen. I've had one in daily use for over 3 years. It's like new. Yes, I clean it fortnightly and it remains in pristine condition.

  4. #2164
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default v1.1 shipping update

    remainingv11.jpg

    We are down to just 3 remaining issues before we can start production of our v1.1 espresso machines:

    1) new firmware needs to work on new PC boards, confirm that the new PC board design has no flaws
    2) 2-week delay then to get stock of new PC boards.
    3) final resolution on the occasionally leaky group head


    Our new PC boards have a few new features:

    1) an electrician's "clamp" is built in, so that we can now measure the power consumption of each component. That will allow us to detect calcium scale buildup, loose wires, and most other causes of failure. Sometimes, before the problem becomes serious.

    2) support for a different design/simpler water level sensor.

    3) support for the upcoming group head controller



    STATUS:

    Ray (in Seattle) has finished the firmware. Parry (in Hong Kong) was testing it and it was failing. It turns out that the 2 sample PC boards that Parry had, had a CPU soldered 180ļ in the wrong direction. All of Ray's sample boards were correct. Today, after hand-resoldering the CPU, the firmware is testing ok in HK. Tomorrow we will complete the tests and should be able to tell the PCB manufacturer to proceed.

    About 20% of our group heads have been leaking ever so slightly. We're talking about two drops, in 2 hours of being under 19 bar of pressure. Still, not acceptable. Different O-Ring materials and thicknesses have resolved the problem, but we're not comfortable with this, as we aren't sure they won't leak in a year. Our v1.0 group heads never leaked under our 19 bar/2h test. We now think the problem is a 0.5mm change in design, and on Tuesday we'll receive 20 new brass parts that revert this change back to what was in v1.0.

    Once these final issues are resolved, machines will start to ship out of our factory at a fairly fast pace, as many of the sub-assemblies have been made, awaiting everything to come together.

    Just a few more weeks now to wait...

    -john

  5. #2165
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Zug, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

    Default Decent espresso

    Quote Originally Posted by dlight View Post
    Why are you using a brush of any sort on the IMS screen. I've had one in daily use for over 3 years. It's like new. Yes, I clean it fortnightly and it remains in pristine condition.
    My machine is used every day for the whole morning. If I cleaned my screen once a fortnight the build up of oils would be enormous and the coffee would taste awful. My screen gets rinsed between shots and both it and the basket go through the dishwasher every evening.

    In defence of the pallo brush: it is a purpose-built shower screen tool, ideal for removing wet grinds and debris following a shot. Itís bristles however seem to be a similar size to the holes in an IMS 200 screen so it can tear them.

    I should say also that whilst I got a measurable and consistentt improvement in taste and EY by making sure my group was perfectly level (all hail @ronsil for that wisdom), I could discern no improvement whatever from IMS screens vs the standard mesh (mine does not have a blind spot). Believers can cry Ďhereticí if they please. Iím open to refractometric evidence.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

  6. #2166
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
    My machine is used every day for the whole morning. If I cleaned my screen once a fortnight the build up of oils would be enormous and the coffee would taste awful. My screen gets rinsed between shots and both it and the basket go through the dishwasher every evening.

    In defence of the pallo brush: it is a purpose-built shower screen tool, ideal for removing wet grinds and debris following a shot. Itís bristles however seem to be a similar size to the holes in an IMS 200 screen so it can tear them.

    I should say also that whilst I got a measurable and consistentt improvement in taste and EY by making sure my group was perfectly level (all hail @ronsil for that wisdom), I could discern no improvement whatever from IMS screens vs the standard mesh (mine does not have a blind spot). Believers can cry Ďhereticí if they please. Iím open to refractometric evidence.
    I have been using IMS Comp screens and Pallo tool for over 2 years, daily, and I clean with brush after each use, and chemical clean each night. No signs of any damage so I do not know what cleaning procedure you use, but maybe you are too hard on your screen?

  7. #2167
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Zug, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreugv View Post
    I have been using IMS Comp screens and Pallo tool for over 2 years, daily, and I clean with brush after each use, and chemical clean each night. No signs of any damage so I do not know what cleaning procedure you use, but maybe you are too hard on your screen?
    Damage wasnít drastic. What I noticed was that one or two of the holes in the metal had Ďjoined upí.

    After the second time I reverted to my traditional mesh screen because I really couldnít *prove* any benefit to EY deriving from the IMS screens that justified the purchase.

    Sorry Jon bit off topic. Iíll leave it there.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

  8. #2168
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default How I make 2 lattes



    A lot of people have asked for a "start to end" video showing how I make a drink with my Decent Espresso Machine.

    Hereís my morning routine. Me just out of bed: girlfriend still asleep.

    -john

  9. #2169
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Default Brushed Steel option

    I had 100 brushed steel back panels made, as some peopleís comments indicated they preferred it. Itís definitely much more finger print and scratch resistant. Youíll not have the "shot mirror" feature, though.

    If youíre buying (or awaiting) a DE1+ or DE1PRO from us, and you prefer this, please get in contact. Itís a no-cost choice on your part. https://decentespresso.com/contact

    -john


Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has Bean In My Mug

Important Site Information


Google Analytics Alternative