perc it
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

What's the latest on flow control effects in the cup? Have you and Scott had more time to play?
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
    What's the latest on flow control effects in the cup? Have you and Scott had more time to play?
    Scott has some theories he's testing that he doesn't want me to disclose, because he's working on a new book.

On my end, I'm more of a mid-to-light roast guy, rather than light roasted. I like a little bit of (not dark) chocolate in my coffee and I mostly drink my coffee with milk (sorry!). I'm finding that a declining flow curve (3 mls/ for 12 secs, decline for 15 secs to 2.2ml) makes a very low acid, thick mouthfeel, light chocolate extraction with lots of top notes.

I just spent 5 days in Turino with a roaster I work with there, and he was really suprised how floral his coffee could be, because he's always extracting it on a traditional machine with the temperature set to 102ºC. I'm fairly sure that's an actual extraction at 95ºC as the DE1+ set to 95ºC in cup made espresso the way he said it should be. I'm way down at 88ºC, which is more "lindt chocolate" -- layers of not dark roasted chocolate and quite floral. At 95ºC on the DE1+ his coffee tasted of dark chocolate, more bitter, stronger, and nothing on the nose except for dark chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Default Large Ceramics are Difficult

We've been working for the past 4 months with a ceramics factory to make our water tank and drip tray out of porcelain. The sample they made for us were great, and the price was good (about $7 for both parts). Unfortunately, they've now tried twice to make the parts using the "mass production process" and both times, what we've received has been warped enough that they won't slide into the metal rails of our espresso machine.

The problem, and we've seen this before, is that samples are often made using a process for one-offs (pressure casting), but after you order, a different manufacturing process is used for quantity (slip casting). You don't necessarily get the same result.

We had a much more expensive bid from another company ($23.70 for both parts) that we'd passed on previously, but their quality was great, so we've gone back to them. We've decided to use them now, so that we don't add more delays, and keep working with "slip casting" ceramics companies to see if someone can make our vessels well and cheaply with that process.

The lead time of this new company is 60 days, which unfortunately means that the ceramics will arrive mid-to-late August. That's going to (sigh) put out our DE1 deliveries until then, since an espresso machine that has no water tank is of limited use.

With luck, this will be the worst delay we encounter, and everything will have arrived by then, and we can just slip the ceramic parts in.

Sorry for the bad news, guys. Manufacturing is not easy.

WechatIMG441.jpg WechatIMG439.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decent_espresso View Post
    Scott has some theories he's testing that he doesn't want me to disclose, because he's working on a new book.

On my end, I'm more of a mid-to-light roast guy, rather than light roasted. I like a little bit of (not dark) chocolate in my coffee and I mostly drink my coffee with milk (sorry!). I'm finding that a declining flow curve (3 mls/ for 12 secs, decline for 15 secs to 2.2ml) makes a very low acid, thick mouthfeel, light chocolate extraction with lots of top notes.

I just spent 5 days in Turino with a roaster I work with there, and he was really suprised how floral his coffee could be, because he's always extracting it on a traditional machine with the temperature set to 102ºC. I'm fairly sure that's an actual extraction at 95ºC as the DE1+ set to 95ºC in cup made espresso the way he said it should be. I'm way down at 88ºC, which is more "lindt chocolate" -- layers of not dark roasted chocolate and quite floral. At 95ºC on the DE1+ his coffee tasted of dark chocolate, more bitter, stronger, and nothing on the nose except for dark chocolate.
    This is where I want to play next. I'm sure you are on to something groundbreaking. Please keep us informed.

And when is the professional version coming? I confess I find myself stuck a bit . You,re the first manufacturer that gives a lifespan in shots of course (10,000) but for me this sounds a bit short - it's 5 years or so. 100,000 shots is of course overkill but, well, belt and braces... I'd rather be over-engineered than under - I know you will appreciate this as an engineer.
    Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.
    Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
    And when is the professional version coming? I confess I find myself stuck a bit . You,re the first manufacturer that gives a lifespan in shots of course (10,000) but for me this sounds a bit short - it's 5 years or so. 100,000 shots is of course overkill but, well, belt and braces... I'd rather be over-engineered than under - I know you will appreciate this as an engineer.
    The DE1PRO will be coming in the Autumn. It's the next thing we do once the DE1/DE1+ ships. We're also working on a DE1CAFE version, for Q1 2018, with built in gravimetric and constant operation.

Think of the 10,000 shots as a guarantee, not a life span. A car doesn't stop working the day after the guarantee expires. All mechanical products need maintenance and service. There's no reason to suppose the DE1 won't run a decade or two, but you'll need to replace pumps and seals in order for that to happen, just like any espresso machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

This is the first photo I've posted of our new internal design as a real machine. We totally reconceived the insides after we found our November machine wasn't at a high enough evolutionary level.

In this photo, you can see (1) the machine opens up quite easily for complete access (2) the silicone insulated hot water and steam heaters (3) totally redesigned and much lighter group head [for faster temperature change responsiveness] and quicker warmup (4) much more internal space and reduced complexity.

We still have some work to do to organize the tubing better, to test and re-test everything again before we "pull the trigger" on the sheet metal order (which FYI takes 35 days to manufacture) and the mixing chambers (which have been refined to lower mould costs).

chassis3.jpg