Happy Donkey
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465

Thread: Decent espresso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaggaZee View Post
    I didn't realise that about USB-C. I've just had a bit of a read and it's clever stuff. Not so helpful in this case obviously!
    In a future version we'd like to have a USB data connection option, so not just bluetooth. That, however, requires additional testing for compliance (both electrical and standards), more circuitry on our part, and thus more time. It'll happen for a future model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In post 632 I read "WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO BUILD AN ESPRESSO MACHINE?
    In November, when we last built 8 machines, it took one person 5 full time days to build one Decent Espresso machine."

Out of interest who ended up with one of the 8 and what were the general thoughts, I understand they were first batch for trial but would make a mouthwatering read. I remember you explaining about the uk trip where transit teething problems surfaced.
    Thanks Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRYHER View Post
    Out of interest who ended up with one of the 8 and what were the general thoughts, I understand they were first batch for trial but would make a mouthwatering read. I remember you explaining about the uk trip where transit teething problems surfaced.
    All those machines have stayed with us and various contract engineers I've brought in, so there are no outside reviews yet, sorry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Default Insulating our water heaters in silicone.

What we're planning on doing--which I believe is a first in espresso machines--is to fully wire up our heaters and then cast the whole assembly in a silicone mould. The goal is to insulate the heaters incredibly well, as if you had the world's best fitting "oven mitt" around the heater. Some espresso machines do wrap their heaters with insulation (many don't) but that leaves air gaps and is messy to fit properly (you have to use a die cut sheet and tie it around).

This silicone casting idea was originally prototyped a month ago, with a mould made of legos (top of photo). This created an amusing pattern on the resulting dried silicone (bottom of photo).

legomould.jpg

Last week, Alex designed a proper mould for our heaters and it arrived today. The advantage of this mould is that it keeps the wall thickness constant at 6mm all around the heater, and holds it in the right place.

Here's what the first mould looks like, freshly CNCed from a block of solid aluminum:

heater mould.jpg

- - - - - -

In other news, we posted an ad yesterday at a local engineering university for engineering students who might want to build espresso machines this summer. We received 12 applications in 24 hours! We interviewed two today, and they were impressive, with really solid CAD experience, as well as computer programming, and Arduino experience too. This is great, because it means we can put the students in charge of creating testing stations for each part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Default working toward even water flow in the group head

Ben and Ray have been working pretty intensely for a few weeks on new designs the group head. The goal is for water to be evenly distributed as it comes into the top of the chamber, and then again evenly distributed as it comes into contact with the puck. Even water flow is important for even espresso extraction.

Today, we received one sample each of Ray's design (using calibrated orifices) and Ben's design (using turbulence).

The "apple" shaped parts are for the top of the group head chamber (where water enters) and replace the common espresso design of a single hole. Ben has been using flow simulation software to test all these designs, and I've been posting the graphics here over the past few weeks. The turbulence approach performs a bit better in simulations.

Next, we'll be testing both of these designs in the real world, and choosing one for our first two hundred machines. We might still improve this design over time (or you might, starting from our shared CAD drawings) as Ben convinced us to make these parts modular, and thus inexpensive to CNC.

showers.jpg

You might want to compare the design of our parts to these Rancilio parts, that provide a similar function. Our computer fluid simulations found that this sort of design (which we were using a few months ago) resulted in uneven water flow, especially during preinfusion. That's why we've been working on this so much, as it seems like a previously-neglected area of espresso machine design.

ranc.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is the upgrade path from DE1 to DE1+ still in the works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by generalguy View Post
    Is the upgrade path from DE1 to DE1+ still in the works?
    Sorry, not currently, no.