Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder - fine enough ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Boy View Post
    Would they not qualify for Returned Goods Relief as the 'goods' were in free circulation with all duties and taxes paid when they were exported from the EU?
    In theory yes it would, but we all know what happens to theory when those money grabbing barstewards get that hands on something for the average person.
    Sage Dual Boiler with IMS Integrated shower Screen, Eureka Mythos, VST and IMS baskets, Tiamo tamper mat, Made By Knock Heft Walnut & Black 58.35mm,Torr 2014 58.4 Brass Goldfinger Convex, Torr XS Zebrano 58.4mm convex, , All black Hausgrind with red knob #k044, Hario V60 02 Drip Decanter, Kalita Wave 185 in stainless, Motta teflon 12 oz jug with Temp Tag and some other bits and bobs.

Post Thanks / Like

But the paperwork will back up that the goods have gone back for repair. Legally there is no right by customs to charge VAT on the returned repaired goods (no idea about the postage cost though)
    Time for a brew

Post Thanks / Like

I once ordered an item of clothing from USA and the sizing guide was off so had to return it for another size.

Had to pay the UPS driver cash to cover customs and UPS fee of £10 both times. After filling out a long form, providing proof of postage of the return and waiting about 6 weeks I got the original tax back. No refund of the £10 fee.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
    The Made by Knock Hausgrind uses the same burrs as the Lido 1 and 2,

Point of interest: the Lido 1 and 2 and the Hausgrind all use the same burrs as an MC2.
    Actually that's not entirely correct, the lido 1 and 2 use different burrs for example, see

http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace/orphan-espresso-lido-2-hand-grinder-t27131-110.html#p325724

I'm not sure either manufacturer has stated precisely which burrs they use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlennV View Post
    Actually that's not entirely correct, the lido 1 and 2 use different burrs for example, see

http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace/orphan-espresso-lido-2-hand-grinder-t27131-110.html#p325724

I'm not sure either manufacturer has stated precisely which burrs they use.
    I know Peter said it was the same as one of the Lido burr sets, I did notice from that linked thread that the parts for the Lido are being machined in China/Taiwan whereas the Knock is being machined by people here in the UK which ,for me, would be the clincher as I'd rather support a homegrown product.
    Sage Dual Boiler with IMS Integrated shower Screen, Eureka Mythos, VST and IMS baskets, Tiamo tamper mat, Made By Knock Heft Walnut & Black 58.35mm,Torr 2014 58.4 Brass Goldfinger Convex, Torr XS Zebrano 58.4mm convex, , All black Hausgrind with red knob #k044, Hario V60 02 Drip Decanter, Kalita Wave 185 in stainless, Motta teflon 12 oz jug with Temp Tag and some other bits and bobs.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for buying British! I did the next best thing and bought designed and made in Australia!

DB
    | La Marzocco GS/3 MP Strada |Compak K10 Fresh | VST & Strada Baskets | Portaspresso Rosco, Rosco-Mini, Rossa TR & HC | Espro Press| HandPresso Wild Hybrid | Impress | Aeropress | Bialetti Moka Elettrika | VST Refractometer | Gene Cafe | Torr Goldfinger Titanium, Trapez and Brass, La Marzocco + Reg Barber C-Ripple | Old Brown Java - Roasted Dark |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBondy View Post
    +1 for buying British! I did the next best thing and bought designed and made in Australia!

DB

Well I guess that kind of counts as home grown for me too having 2 passports one being Aussie lol

Post Thanks / Like

I've just pre ordered one to replace my lido 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read that the Lido 2 burrs were made by Rossi in Italy. Outsourcing to Taiwan is probably inevitable when trying to break out of the niche market to ...er, a slightly bigger, slightly less niche market? ;-)

Even with duty & shipping the difference between Lido 2 & MBK shouldn't be big enough to make a significant impact. The Lido 2 holds more beans, but this may not be relevant to most users.
    markburness.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
    ...the Knock is being machined by people here in the UK which ,for me, would be the clincher as I'd rather support a homegrown product.
    Me too, I didn't know it existed. I'd much rather buy homegrown, for all the reasons mentioned

Can anyone say if the Hausgrind will do a capable job of grinding fine enough for espresso in a Classic? I only need low production so the manual nature doesn't bother me